carb confusionng

Options
Hi , i posted not to long ago stating about doing 3 months of no drinking and changing life style to incorporate Cycling and using the gym from basicaly drinking and doing nowt.
i weighed in at 18.6st.(117 ish kg)
after the 3 months i lost no weight. i stayed at 18.6st
i was very conserned at this as the exersice and no beer i would thought would help but nothing changed.

SO...... i have moved to a "low Carb diet" or so i thought.

basicaly i still have carbs for brekkie.
(weetabix or sugar puffs or something) to get me through the day.
lunch = salad + a meat or fish
activia yogurt
bannana
grapes
total carbs 139

for dinnner im having no potatoes or bread or anything like rice so just
meat and veg.

so far in 4 days i have lost 8 lb's ( just over half a stone )

so i thought GREAT!!! this low carb is working for me ....... now here comes the but......

so i thought id check out the carb diffrence from my previous diet.

Previous diet( every day)
2 sandwhich(no butter)
1 packet o crisps,
bannaa
choc bar
activa yogurt.

dinner
Special fried rice or something with rice or bread or chips

Total carbs 175

total diff 39 carbs.....
can someone explain to me if there is almost no diff why am i now losing weight. and also am i really doing a low carb diet now???? or am i just calculating it all wrong

Replies

• momma69
    momma69 Posts: 16
    Options
    sounds like there is a difference in the type of carbs....one complex and one simple.....fruit carbs are natural carbs....not from fake processing
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    Your trading processed stuff for fresh fruits it looks like. As long as its working, stick to it :-)
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    One serving of carbs = 15g. The type of carbs you are eating makes a difference! If you ate a bunch of starchy carbs, i.e....bread, pasta, etc....it tends to "stick" around, whereas natural carbs, carbs you get from fruit, etc....is burned off easier. If you break your carbs up during the day to something manageable your body has more time to use the carbs as energy. Example: Breakfast should have 45-60 carbs (that is 3-4 servings of carbs), snack should be one serving of carbs (15 carbs), lunch 45-60, snack 15 carbs, dinner 45-60 carbs. So...if you eat 50 carbs for each meal and 30 for snacks a day...that equals 180 carbs...that will obviously be lower if you stick to 45 carbs per meal. The idea is that you should have SOME carbs because your body uses it as fuel and if you keep it even during the day your body will burn it off better. If you overload on carbs for breakfast (60 or more carbs) and then very little at lunch and then 75 carbs at dinner...your body will hold onto those carbs so it can have it for energy.

Hope this helps a little...I am having to watch my carbs as well and trying to keep mine at 45 for meals and 15 for snacks. I will bump it a little bit when really hard exercise days but will eat another piece of fruit to do it rather than the starchy carbs!
  • mcfake
    mcfake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    that helps alot, makes more sence to me now. 1 thing tho i do refuse to snack. no matter what .

as a couple of years ago i was 25 stone. when i did my 1st diet years ago i said to my self to never snack :) eat an amount u want and thats it.

so for now ill stick to it. i think i was just trying to find an escuse to eat crips

( crispaholic ! :)
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat a snack between meals then up your carbs to the higher end during meals. That way you will stay consistent! :) Good luck!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    The "old" diet was probably loaded with saturated fat and sodium. You are eating a healthier diet now. Eat sensibly and you will get the results you are looking for. Good luck!