HELP!!

Options
K, few more days then I give up. Haven’t lost a pound since start. It is that time of the month, so waiting till the end of month to weigh again. I guess when you have been on a low carb diet for soo long, you are in prison. Everyone here does so well. Wish I could have been one of them... :(
I know this site strongly advises not to be less than 1200 calories, but with a sprained toe and thumb, I am not exercising at all. I am feeling quite full with what I am doing now...should I be cutting the calories a bit? Please advice.

Replies

• SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Were you getting good results before joining MFP? Are you seeing ANY results other than the scale? I understand the frustration, but giving up is usually not the best solution unless you have something better in mind?
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    How long did you do low carb? Sometimes if you've been "dieting" for a long time your body gets used to sustaining at the low intake and then refuses to lose weight (Happened to me.)

Some people call it starvation mode...others throw rocks at people for calling it that, but if your body has gotten used to being underfed you may need some time on maintenance before you will be able to lose again. It worked well for me.
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    it takes time for your body to adjust to changes. How long have you been at it? Be patient !! If you are continually under 1200 your body could be in starvation mode and you wont see a loss.
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i was on the low carb for about 8 years. The weight is slowly creeping back. Its been 2 weeks on mfp and havent gained any weight suprisingly cause im eating everything i want...bananas !!!!! havent tasted that fruit in 8yrs !!! hoping you are right...thank you.
  • minky_r
    Options
    GREAT article...thank you.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Low carb diets (and too low of a caloric intact) can exhaust your thyroid and lead to hypothyroidism. good luck!
  • kmcaloney
    Options
    I started off slow myself, but with exercise, myfitnesspal and the Wii, I ended up losing over 50 pounds. I was diligent with my exercise and putting every morsel I ate on MFP. I never viewed it as a diet, but a change in life style. The hard part now is maintaining - I move a few pounds up and have to rein it back in. Keep with it and you will move off zero! :bigsmile:
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be kurt, but... two weeks and you're ready to quit???

MFP is a lifestyle change not a quick fix. Quick fix diets never work. People end up gaining more weight than they end up losing. MFP teaches us how to eat and incorporate an exercise routine for the rest of our lives. If you really want to lose weight / make a lifestyle change, then do not quit so easily. It's going to take a lot of work and a lot of time.

Stick to it sweetie... trust me, it's worth the time and effort! :flowerforyou:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you up your carbs? How many pounds have you gained back? I would expect to gain about 5 pounds transitioning from low carb just from glycogen.

If you quit now, what is your plan? Go back to low carb or just completely let loose and gain until you are at a new high weight (this happens to many many people)?

If you stick with it, the fixed amount of (non-fat) weight you regain from increasing your carbs will eventually be offset by actual fat losses and the scale will start to move again, but you are going to have to stick with it. Really REALLY think about what you want in the longer term because if you really think about it quitting is a really bad option for body composition, health, and will just make it harder on you the next time you "try". You may want to keep reading on here and tweak your macros some (I would consider increasing protein and drop the carbs a bit, or just add 200 calories/50g of protein to your day for a 1400 goal).
  • BattlingMaxo
    BattlingMaxo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    here is how I got ripped to the bone, it's no real secret I eat less than my TDEES and I lose weight, (on the net you can find what your TDEE s are) Though after a while my body stopped losing fat, which means for my new body weight I was eating too much, So I did a little more cardio ( all cardio does is allow you to eat more food) that extra cardio plus i knocked off 100 more cals a day. When i finished my cut I was at 6.2 % body fat. Now I just finished my bulking phase pretty much the exact opposite of cutting always eating muscle foods avoiding sugars for the most part and added 18 lbs in 5 1/2 months some of that is fat now I am going to cut again. If you are dedicated and know what you are doing you to will get in incredible shape. If I did it so can you, you just need to decide if what i described above is worth it for you.

PS it should not take very long to lose weight. I was losing no more than a lb a week, Too much and i would lose muscle as well.
    Let;s say you want to lose 10 lbs that means 10 weeks if you calculate everything correctly. make sure you also lift weights to keep muscle
  • minky_r
    Options
    How long ago did you up your carbs? How many pounds have you gained back? I would expect to gain about 5 pounds transitioning from low carb just from glycogen.

On the low carb plan, I went from 218 lbs to 97lbs...Have been doing it for 8 years. I found myself always hungry and could eat like 2 men!! I am at 160lbs now ...btw I am 5ft tall. If what you say about gaining 5lbs from this transition is normal, then that’s great, cause I haven’t gained a pound :). I am so much happier and less stressed on this plan. And I am full.
    I think with all this excitement on bananas and oatmeal, I might have gone overboard with the carbs. I will take your advice and cut down a bit.
    Very much appreciate your input and time.
  • comittobethin
    comittobethin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS with insulin resistance and for me, carbs are the devil. It also makes it so much harder for my body to let go of the fat so my weight loss is slow. I can work out to my hearts content and eat perfectly all week and lose at most 2 lbs that week, so I know the feeling. I had 3 weeks when I first started where I was working out, eating right, and actually GAINED a pound. The thing that I had to keep in my mind is that Rome was not built in a day. I decided to keep with it and I am currently down 20 lbs and going strong. Don't give up without giving it a fair fight.

Another thing that has helped me a lot was keeping a set of goals that were not scale related. Ex: Giving up soda, walk a mile minimum a day, etc. If you focus on the scale, you will drive yourself crazy. Know that with these small goals, you will see your changes making a difference in one way or another. It is so nice to look back and see my habits gradually change from drinking 4-5 sodas a day to drinking less than 3 a month.

You can do it!
  • minky_r
    Options
    I had 3 weeks when I first started where I was working out, eating right, and actually GAINED a pound.

Really??gained a pound ..three weeks?..wow..thats great to hear..so all I need is patience?? Ive got that!
    thank you for the encouragment.