How long has it taken you to lose your weight so far?

Options
Hi there! I am new at this (have a week under my belt, and it's going well). I see so many of you with such wonderful stats, and I was wondering if some of you would share how long it's taken you to lose your weight? It is really inspiring to see all of these success stories!

Also, one more question. If you set your calories at losing 2 lbs. per week, and you follow the amount of calories allotted you, do you find this to be fairly accurate? Or do you lose more? Or less?

Thanks so very much for any input! Really appreciate it! :)

Replies

• CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I started this journey seriously middle of April this year
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It took me a little over a year to lose 60 pounds, I've kept it off for 6 months now and am looking to lose 5-10 more. :)
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I joined September 2012 but did not really become focused until January of this year and have lost 22 pounds
  • ilessa
    ilessa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My 18lb has taken me about 11 months so far, I seem to lose 3-4lb then stay the same for 3 months, but on the plus side none of it has gone back on so while it may take me longer than I originally anticipated to lose it all, I am happy that it is at least sustainable :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    11 months to lose 75 lbs. Adjusted my goal an additional 11 lbs and have been trying to get rid of that for over a year... 11 lbs for a year. Ugh.

In fact, I've actually gained 2 lbs instead of lose anymore. :ohwell:
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 from January to mid-August. That is nothing compared to some of the losses I have seen but what makes it speacial to me is I am a 6' male weighing 178 when I started. Technically I was not overweight but was looking just to get back to the weight I had held most of my adult life. Once I adjusted my calorie intake according to MFP, my weight came off far easier and more steadily than I would have thought it would. I've been maintaining since then. I can't recommend MFP strongly enough.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22lb in 3 months. Quite a lot slower than a lot of people here, but I'm happy with that.

It's faster than the 1lb a week which is what my calorie allowance is based on. I was rather worried about that until I worked out that I wasn't eating close enough to my allowance over a week. When I calculated the theoretical loss based on my actual calorie intake and compared it to my actual loss, it wasn't that far off. (0.4lb...)
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    50 pounds in roughly 10 months. It's not easy, as many of us will say. And if it is, you're not doing it right.

If you're plugging in to MFP that you want to lose 2lbs/week, it may tell you to eat eat 1200 calories. DO NOT DO THIS! Calculate your intake using your TDEE and BMR.
  • david2609
    david2609 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    42 lb has taken me just over 9 months, though the last few weeks has seen little change. However i think if anyone wants to lose c 42 lb, you have to commit to a year - I did and got there early. Now getting set for another 14lb !!! Good luck.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I've been at this about 21 months. :happy:

I lose between 1/2 to 1 pound a week, with some weeks nothing. 2 pounds might be little to much unless you have a LOT of weight to come off. But remember you didn't put this weight on over night and it's not going to come of fast!! :bigsmile:

"Slow and steady gets you to your goal!!"

Good luck. :flowerforyou:

ETA: I eat between 1600-1900 calories.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am at about 51 lbs. It took me 6 months to get there. I feel really good about that. I find the rate of loss to be pretty accurate. Of course you are going to have weeks where you lose more, and weeks where you lose nothing. But that is just how weight loss goes. Good luck!!
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    I started my journey on September 30th, 8 months after my son was born. I haven't lost a whole lot yet. I'm still trying to figure out how much i actually need to eat and how much exercise I need to do. It's really difficult for me not to fall back into binge eating or binge starvation. :/

Tips would be greatly appreciated for my journey, if anyone wishes to share. Inbox me. :)

I want to lose 15 pounds by Christmas...I wonder if it's possible. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am new at this (have a week under my belt, and it's going well). I see so many of you with such wonderful stats, and I was wondering if some of you would share how long it's taken you to lose your weight? It is really inspiring to see all of these success stories!

Also, one more question. If you set your calories at losing 2 lbs. per week, and you follow the amount of calories allotted you, do you find this to be fairly accurate? Or do you lose more? Or less?

Thanks so very much for any input! Really appreciate it! :)

It took me about 6-7 months to lose 40 Lbs or so and I've been maintaining for the last 6 months or so. It's not linear...you don't lose exactly X Lbs per week...it's a general trend over time. Also, the leaner you get the slower you have to go...the Lbs come off pretty easily at first but much slower when you have less to lose. I still need to drop about 10 Lbs or so and I'm anticipating that will take me about 6 - 9 months given that I'm at a healthy BF% and I don't want to create such a large deficit that I put my muscle mass at risk.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have found that the weight loss is pretty accurate on average. Keep in mind that weight loss is not linear so you won't lose 2 pounds every week. Some weeks you will not lose any. I went 3 1/2 weeks one time without losing any weight, but then I have bigger losses other weeks. On average, it is very close to the 2 pounds per week.

Since I have a lot of weight to lose, it came off very quickly at first but has stabilized recently. I have been at it for 18 weeks and have lost 44 pounds, which is an average of 2.4 pounds per week.
  • linzchapates
    Options
    I started Sept 16/2013 so 6 weeks ago and have lost 22 lbs...I stick to my daily calories strictly and I don't eat back my exercise calories at all. I've upped my water intake to 12 cups a day and only drink black coffee and plain herbal tea as beverages. I basically live by the motto you can have it all, as long as it fits into your calories for the day.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been working on loosing weight for just about 3 years now. Saying that, I did have about 10 months where I kinda gave up. I've been back on track since January of this year and have lost 41 lbs since. Over the coarse of 3 years, I have lost a total of 88lbs.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    47 lbs in 5 months.

I've swapped calorie goals several times for various reasons, but the weight loss hasn't been constant - stopping for a week or three then accelerating downwards in days, rinse and repeat. I've been trying to figure it out. It's a mystery.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting since the end of May, 2012 so it's been more than 1 year up to now (17 months today? yay) and I've lost 13 kgs (28 lbs). I could have lost more I guess. But I haven't been intensively dieting and exercising all the time. For example, I lost several kgs during the first 2-3 months. I plateaued during the summer of 2012 (even though I was dieting and exercising). Lost some more in autumn, didn't diet in December 2012 (and gained 2-3 kgs back), then I've been dieting up and down for several months. I don't even know when did I start seriously again but I've been very dedicated throughout last summer and the last 2 months.
    Concerning your predicted loss, you will probably lose the expected amount just for the first months. As long as your body gets used to it, you will start to lose weight slowly, but I don't think it's a problem if you keep going. Anyway there are people who haven't lost weight at first because they were building mass muscle or doing something wrong, so if you don't lose much weight at the beginning don't get discouraged, maybe your body takes more time.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning my 7th week at MFP and have lost 13 pounds so far. I'm 63, 5'7" and have been pretty sedentary since I hurt my back pretty seriously six years ago. I finally had enough and am now swimming 1/2 hour to 45 minutes 5 times a week and working out at the gym which includes 2 one hour circuit training classes. All in all I figure I'm burning up about 500 to 600 calories or more probably on the days I do both. I have my calories set at 1200 but I eat back about 200 or 250 those days that I burn those calories. So far it's working pretty well and I've only been hungry one day. It was the day after a 2 hour workout day.

Good luck.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 23- "44 year old" pounds.....very slow, took over a year. I feel great and I am running 5-k's. Slow and steady wins the race !