Oral Fixation

So I have a problem with always needing something in my mouth. I usually ALWAYS have gum in my mouth if i'm not eating. Like when I say always I mean I even sleep with gum in my mouth. I constantly need to have something there and I don't know how to change it. I've been sucking on gum (i don't chew it, it just sits on the roof of my mouth and i suck on it) since i was in 6th grade, so 12 years old, and now i'm 21. So this habit has been going on for 10 years. And i think it's affected the way I eat because I do get tired of always having gum, but if there's not gum in my mouth, there's food, or i'm drinking calories (with a straw because i like to suck on things .. in a non perverted way) … When i was a baby I had a bottle up until i was like 6 so i don't know if this is why. But how can i stop this, because i know i'ts not helping me.

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    I would say that foremost, you need to figure out a way of getting to sleep without gum in your mouth. It seems like there is a real danger of choking to death during the night. Good Luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Ice

water

or

ice water
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Nope, not going to give in to temptation here.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I have an oral fixation as well, although not to that extent. I usually try to sip on tea or coffee instead of eating or chewing gum. It's really bad for your teeth to chew gum all the time!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member

Please?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member

Please?

Only if it's a pretty please and there's a cherry on top :D
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    I don't really have any advice except that if it really bothers you a therapist might be able to help you change or redirect your behavior. But I just wanted to say that's it's not because you had a bottle until you were six. The normal, natural weaning age for a child (when their breastfeeding and sucking instinct goes away) is anywhere between 2-7 years old. So it was totally natural that you still had a strong need to "nurse" until you were six (some kids suck their thumb, use a pacifier, or continue to breastfeed that long as well). I wish you luck since I know it's difficult to change life long habits and be careful with that gum in your sleep!