Blowing your calories

Options
So, I've eaten all my calories for the day and it's only 1pm. I got a little over zealous at my work's Halloween party. I know it's no big deal and going over on my alotted calories for one day won't hurt me but i hate that i've done this. I'm just curious what do other's do when they find themselves in this situtation. Do you have a very slimmed down dinner? Just eat a normal healthy dinner and be better prepared tomorrow? Workout to balance it out?

I'll probably go for a run which bums me out since this is usually my day "off" from exercising, but I'd like to be able to eat dinner and not feel too guilty.

Replies

• hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you go over a by a few hundred one day you will not gain weight, just not lose any either.

The key is to get back on the horse, the bad habits many of us have had is to say screw it and dig the hole deeper.

Eat a sensible dinner, lots of water, get plenty of sleep, and start over again tomorrow.

That has worked for me over the past 15 months.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I usually have Swiss Chalet because it bumps up my protein, is a decent meal, and fills me up for less than 500 calories. Then I go to bed early lol
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've been there many times! Eat a sensible dinner with lots of protein. Grilled lemon pepper chicken and grilled/steamed veggies is my go-to. Even though it's your off day, I would work out today and move your off day to tomorrow. It will help you feel better mentally and physically if you have the too-much-food feeling. During all my previous failed weight-loss attempts, I would restrict like crazy, end up blowing my calories one day, then give up. Practicing getting back on the wagon as fast as possible (and not being so strict with myself) is what made the difference between failing and succeeding for me. You can do this!
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    oh.....so this isn't about a new kinky workout routine??
  • AronKishore
    Options
    HAHHAA, I get really angry when I succumb to temptations. Usually, I just drink a lot of water especially since our brain sometimes confuses thirst for hunger. But when I'm very hungry, I eat a PBJ or something light in general.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I would go for a light walk, nothing to much, just a little to help the net calorie marker. Then have a healthy supper, maybe a little smaller on the potion sizes (but probably not, I love my food).
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Like other people have said already: Eat sensibly for the rest of the day, don't skip eating if your hungry. If you have the time to exercise then do, otherwise you continue tomorrow bright and fresh and you do your best. If you sometimes go a little over then you do.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

haha.. My mind was in the gutter too.. LMAO
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Very light dinner - grilled chicken breast and veggies, pretty much... Maybe 200 calories total.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Being that your calorie goal is a substantial deficit from maintenance, it is likely that even if you have a good dinner you will still be at a deficit or at most, maintenance. Big deal...move on...**** happens. This is all about what you're doing 80 - 90% of the time, not 10% of the time. Life is gonna happen...
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    No big deal.

You could...

1. Forget about it and eat a normal dinner.
    2. Eat a smaller dinner/snack for dinner.
    3. Just not eat dinner.

Any of these would be OK, as long as it works for you. One day of going over your goal isn't going to destroy your progress. Just move on from it.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    meh

I do this once or twice a week

good way to get extra protein :wink:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I don't swallow, so no calories involved.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    During all my previous failed weight-loss attempts, I would restrict like crazy, end up blowing my calories one day, then give up. Practicing getting back on the wagon as fast as possible (and not being so strict with myself) is what made the difference between failing and succeeding for me. You can do this!

Yep. And that is indeed a CRAZY way to live; a life of mental bondage!
    If over, exercise to burn it off. Turn the page and start again tomorrow.
    It really is as SIMPLE.AS. THAT!! Why did we never see this sooner??
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    meh

I do this once or twice a week

good way to get extra protein :wink:

ANOTHER reason we are friends!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would probably just have a dinner that is filling but not calorie dense, such as a spinach and tomato salad with grilled chicken breast. Including dressing, you are only looking at 300-400 caloriea at the most.

If you are worried about being over you have a few options.

Ignore it as it doesnot affect anything long term.
    Eat a hundred or two less calories per day over the course of a few days to balance out the overage.
    Increase your exercise by 15-30 minutes per session over the course of a few days to balance it out.
    Freak out about it and do something like starve yourself.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would probably just have a dinner that is filling but not calorie dense, such as a spinach and tomato salad with grilled chicken breast. Including dressing, you are only looking at 300-400 caloriea at the most.

If you are worried about being over you have a few options.

Ignore it as it doesnot affect anything long term.
    Eat a hundred or two less calories per day over the course of a few days to balance out the overage.
    Increase your exercise by 15-30 minutes per session over the course of a few days to balance it out.
    Freak out about it and do something like starve yourself.

Sometimes I blow his calories for him. He likes it.

Seriously, no sweat. ^great tips above.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't swallow, so no calories involved.
    I do, but only when im hungry.
    so like, all the time.
    sheesh