Is Eating Low Carb & Training For Half Marathon Possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    HAHA! Apologies!

I actually meant at your YOUNG age! You are younger than me. As you get older it gets easier to be competitive at a slower speed :) I can't wait to "age up" into the 40s. I'll be more competitive then!
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Out of curiousity what is a competitive time range for a 1/2? Purely since you've piqued my interest not because top heavy midgets like myself intend to rock out that kind of crazy training!

http://www.pace-calculator.com/average-half-marathon-pace-by-age-sex.php

Use the column on the right side of the page to adjust your demographics.

Edit:
    That link will give you a per-mile pace not a total time.
    Convert the pace to time, or input a goal time to get a target pace using this link
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml
  • GoldFish1326
    GoldFish1326 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    HAHA! Apologies!

I actually meant at your YOUNG age! You are younger than me. As you get older it gets easier to be competitive at a slower speed :) I can't wait to "age up" into the 40s. I'll be more competitive then!

Awesome, that's like me and playing "classics" soccer...defeinetly an advantage once I'm at that age!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • GoldFish1326
    Options
    Out of curiousity what is a competitive time range for a 1/2? Purely since you've piqued my interest not because top heavy midgets like myself intend to rock out that kind of crazy training!

http://www.pace-calculator.com/average-half-marathon-pace-by-age-sex.php

Use the column on the right side of the page to adjust your demographics.

Edit:
    That link will give you a per-mile pace not a total time.
    Convert the pace to time, or input a goal time to get a target pace using this link
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml

Cool, my 10km time is under the average for my age but the further I run the slower I'll get so it's doable to be under 2 I'll just have to work a bit harder to make up for the slow down, thanks for the info!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem, as long as you're eating enough, paying attention to how you feel, making adjustments as needed, and your goal is to run a half marathon, not win a half marathon. I eat a low carb diet at about 150 grams a day. Some people eat a low carb diet at 250 grams a day, and some people do it at 50 or less.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine as long as your body is okay with it! I am a low carber and I run!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How fast can you run a mile? Under 2 would be great, I don't think I could do it. I just did a 10 mile in 1:37 which is about 9:45 min miles.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine a life without Cheez-its and Goldfish, but best of luck to you :huh:
  • GoldFish1326
    Options
    Haha yeah WIN a half marathon is not my goal, it's funny how I never even considered there being something you could win...obvs I think finishing = I'm WINNINGEST!

Glad to hear it's possible I will still up my carbs but I won't start eating 300 carbs a day on a regular basis or anything, I'll adjust if I feel exhausted that'll be a good indicator methinks.

I like the IDEA of cheezits, cause I love cheese but it's like mac n cheese the colour tricks me into thinking it's super cheesy and then it totally isn't...so orange dye #7 isn't my favourite food. But things like taco salad with cilantro sour cream and pico de gallo...I'd much rather have num num.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you consider to be a carb and what are you not considering carbs? Like, are you discounting fruits and veggies as wonderful carbs?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I was on a cut with low carbs when I gave myself 5 weeks to train for two half in two days over the weekend. It was absolutely brutal on me, and loaded the carbs by the middle of the third week. I had some mid energy and my performance was slacking. Not to mention I got a little cranky I was told, and that is not me at all.

I don't think I will do it ever again...
  • GoldFish1326
    Options
    Oh no I just originally wondered if I'd have to change how I'm eating now once training starts!

Potatoes and squash are up there for go to carbs and I eat a fair bit of veggies as is currently just no real bread, pasta rice kind of stuff!