Scales, Blenders, Spiralizers Oh My! (appliances you love?)

Options

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet! It's not just for smoothies- you can make soups in it as well as grind your own grains for flour, chia seeds and flax seeds too.

Also I use my scale for everything, as well as my food processor and toaster oven. OH OH OH! And my crock pot!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    My favorite appliance , and one I use the most is my slow cooker,aside from my coffee grinder and coffee maker I would like to getsn immersion blender though
  • phyl303
    phyl303 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My kitchen scale is my best friend. A little hint: keep it in a zip lock bag. Then you will be able to keep it cleaner longer and easier. (I learned this trick long ago using a kitchen scale for soap making. Oils are messy.)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Noone mentioned the kettle!? No 1, surely?

Also love my scale (obvs), sandwich toaster, electric hand whisk (less fuss than food mixer). Non-electric has to be my ice cream scoop and garlic press.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    My scale came from Wmart several yrs ago. Works great.Have a hand held spirilizer ,from bed,bath etc.Was $15,also works good.

Just yesterday my husband took a load of stuff from our house to donate. A West Bend popcorn popper we used like 3 times.A pain to store,tho it made good popcorn.An electric indoor grill,a pain to clean & store

My stove & slow cooker is about all I use.Never seen a need for immersion blender.Already have one by Ninja.

The rule here is no more gifts for the kitchen LOL
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My vibrator

I literally laughed out loud
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My Slow Cooker and my Keurig
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My ActiFry....makes awesome healthy french fries.

Also, my Dolce Gusto and Nespresso single serve coffee makers....I'd die without them.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I could function without my kitchen scale (in both ounces and GRAMS). Anyone who eyeballs or is using measuring cups is almost always going to eat more than they think they are.

I'm also in love with my immersion blender (and soup season is starting!) and waffle iron. There is nothing like a whole wheat buttermilk waffle with Grade A maple syurp on Saturday morning.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My Fav Appliances:

1) Vitamix. (wet and dry cannisters) Love it! Smoothies, homemade nut butters, date paste, coconut oil fudge, soup, homemade icecream, anything pureed, homemade DIY lotions, etc.
    2) Dehydrator. Newest gadget, so fun to make stuff!!
    3) Crockpot. Easy meals.
    4) Electric Griddle. I make everything on my griddle, its not just for pancakes. I griddle my zucchinis, squash, eggplant, bacon, fish, chicken, pork chops, sausage, etc...
    5) This giant aluminum pan my mom passed down to me. Man, that thing is huge but I roast everything in it.

I'll add a category:

Appliances I Thought I'd love and never use:
    1) Rotisserie. Way TOO much work! Used it once and never again.
    2) Toaster Oven. Never use.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The stand mixer was bought before I realized I needed to limit baked goods. I won't say I regret it but it hasn't proved so useful in the last year or so.

Mine was a gift many years ago luckily, but I'm with you on this. I wish it did get more use because I sure do miss baking. I just can't keep that stuff in my house with any self-control.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have a Thermomix, the ultimate kitchen accessory. They're pretty awesome and you can have a party without any obligation to buy although once you've seen one in action you probably will end up wanting one especially if you're a gadget person. Advance warning - they don't come cheap

http://www.thermomix.com.au/

I was going to write about all the comments and tools I want but now...I'm too smitten to think of anything except this thermomix....where has this been all my life? I wonder if it's better than having a Vitamix...lol (which I don't have anyhow). This....wow. I want....haha
  • bbontheb
    Options

I'll add a category:

Appliances I Thought I'd love and never use:
    1) Rotisserie. Way TOO much work! Used it once and never again.
    2) Toaster Oven. Never use.

Oh I should have added this! We gave our toaster oven away (actually twice- rebought a new one later on and nope...won't use it) and....now since I am trying to limit my breads ...the breadmaker.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I loved my blender to death. I'm about to pick up my third one. I never had a food scale but I do try to measure things out with measuring cups. Oh and my Kitchen Aid mixer to make PB banana ice cream.

you should totally get a scale.. you'd be amazed at just how inaccurate cups are. it's ok for baking, it's proportions there, but when you need to know how many calories you've eaten grams and cups don't mesh.

I am a keto person, so I eat trail mixes 1/4 cup is the measurement on the bag but if you take the 1/4 measurement vs the grams they also list next to the 1/4 it's a disconnect. 1/4 cup of trailmix is about 1.4 ounces instead of 1 ounce. nearly 300 calories instead of 200... that's one example. a lot of things are like that.

to answer the main question. I have a scale. Use it daily. IMHO it's the single most important thing ANY dieter should have to be able to really control their weight loss journey.

I don't have a spirelli but it sounds like I need one. :)

immersion blender.. I actually have one due to arrive on thursday. (never had one before btu I want to make soup and sauce!)
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I bought the cheapest scale and it works just fine. I use it almost every day...especially when cooking! My Magic Bullet I use nearly every day for my morning green (and fruit) smoothies. I also bought a food processor a few months ago. Been experimenting with making my own protein bars. It also makes shredding zucchini and other solid veggies super easy. I'm slowly using it more and more. I also use my toaster oven very very often. I rarely use my stove. I like to make tortilla pizzas for lunch and it works really well to just cook up some chicken (or other protein) while I steam veggies.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    Anyone have a recommendation of a kitchen scale? I am overwhelmed by choices, lol.

Yes, I looked up the Thermomix and gasp! I would be too afraid of not using it I think.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a Thermomix, the ultimate kitchen accessory. They're pretty awesome and you can have a party without any obligation to buy although once you've seen one in action you probably will end up wanting one especially if you're a gadget person. Advance warning - they don't come cheap

http://www.thermomix.com.au/

I was going to write about all the comments and tools I want but now...I'm too smitten to think of anything except this thermomix....where has this been all my life? I wonder if it's better than having a Vitamix...lol (which I don't have anyhow). This....wow. I want....haha

I looked this up too, there is a thermomix.com.us website also. But I really don't think I would use it. Cool that it preps AND cooks the food.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My -most- used appliance is my electric pressure cooker from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Something like $100, but with their little flyer they send out monthly like $80. They have a pretty cool stove top one for about $10. I also love my air popcorn maker thing from Walmart, like $10. lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sous vide setup, whipping siphon, spring loaded tongs, silpat

I wish, no whipping sipon yet, I do have a full carbonation system though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love my scale and my toaster oven.

I need a better blender though. I bought a cheap one for smoothies/shakes and it just doesn't cut it, but I don't want to spend a lot... but surely there's something out there around $100 that makes good ones, can crush ice easily etc?