exercise before or after I eat?

Options
Im wondering if it makes any difference if I exercise before or after I eat?
I always exercise in the mornings so I don't get side tracked later in the day. I do more later on the days where I find time.I never seem to get time to eat till 10am or later though (does this still count as breakfast) Should I be eating earlier and exercising later, or just stick to my routine?

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Comes down to personal preference and what you will adhere too...... As long as you are hitting your calorie goals and macro's, then timing is totally up to you...... Best of Luck
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I always exercise in the mornings so I don't get side tracked later in the day. I do more later on the days where I find time.I never seem to get time to eat till 10am or later though (does this still count as breakfast) Should I be eating earlier and exercising later, or just stick to my routine?

No difference at all. it's up to you!

On M,W,TH, F, I go to the gym between 4:30 and 5 a.m. before I've eaten,,on Tues I go after work, when I've eaten most of my calories, and on the weekends I exercise whenever I want whether I've eaten yet or not.
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    I like to do my strenuous workouts before I eat, because I hate doing heavy cardio activity after I eat. However, I'm always game for a walk after each meal.
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I exercise first thing in the morning and other days evenings.
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It is up to you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter one little bit...
  • prindog
    prindog Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're weight lifting or doing cardio for long periods of time, i've heard it's good to have a small snack beforehand, so you have some energy to get the most out of your workout. I usually eat a granola bar or energy bar. On the other hand, If you want to do some quick cardio that results in more fat loss, I've heard you shouldn't eat before. It really just depends on your preference and how your body acts, though. Personally, I do both depending on how I feel that morning. :smile:
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I dont really weight lift except for a pump and tone workout which is aerobics with wrist and ankle weights. I can only manage a 1/2 hour of that before I need a break. ...i can eaisly do 45mins high impact-cardio or step. Is a granola bar what us aussies call a museli bar?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    All up to you.

I prefer morning or earlier on in the day as by the afternoon (after 3pm) onwards I don't have as much umph. Some people are the complete opposite.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's definitely personal preference. I've read that people are less prone to injury if they work out later in the day, however the conclusion was that people had been able to get about and move so they were more limber and muscles more stretched without being stressed. A proper warmup will do the same.

I do lift weights and can say a snack before is critical, otherwise I'll hit the proverbial wall some 25 min in. I compare it to someone pulling my plug - I just lose all energy.

Cheers!
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I do exactly the same, do whatever works for you. I start work at 0645 so I just have time to get up go for a run or the gym, shower and then work. My break isn't until 1000 so that is when I have breakfast. I have just ate a banana though to keep the hunger at bay until 1000.
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the good advice everyone
    I guess I'll stick to what Im doing if its not going to make a lot of difference