Eating as a FUN Activity??

Options
I've been on a long road to improving my health and fitness and during this time I've come to realize that I associate FOOD with FUN. Has anyone else ever felt this way?

For example, I was going on a trip to Ohio a few weeks ago and when I thought about fun stuff to do there, I wasn't thinking about the concert I was going to see or the shopping opportunities--I thought about food.

Maybe I just have an inner foodie dying to get out? Haha This has created instances where I almost feel lost when I'm trying to choose healthier things to eat or things to do on a trip because I equate decadent food (ya know, sugar-loaded, fried, large portions) and eating with a good time.

Anyone out there been there?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've been on a long road to improving my health and fitness and during this time I've come to realize that I associate FOOD with FUN. Has anyone else ever felt this way?

For example, I was going on a trip to Ohio a few weeks ago and when I thought about fun stuff to do there, I wasn't thinking about the concert I was going to see or the shopping opportunities--I thought about food.

Maybe I just have an inner foodie dying to get out? Haha This has created instances where I almost feel lost when I'm trying to choose healthier things to eat or things to do on a trip because I equate decadent food (ya know, sugar-loaded, fried, large portions) and eating with a good time.

Yes, the people who say eat to live don't live to eat, have got it all wrong
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,659 Member
    Options
    The same. I admire the people who think of food as fuel and eat the same thing every day. I couldn't do it.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

Totally agree. I will never simply have an eat to live mind set and I'm ok with that. I will always enjoy ny food, just a little less of it than I used to lol.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I loooove food! I like cooking food, I like eating food, I like feeding other people.
    My favourite outings include food and all celebrations must include food. It's just a bit unfortunate that I'm a bit lacking in the self-control department!
    I am learning how to deal with this but I don't think I'd want to be in the "eat to live" camp - even if that was possible!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

Totally agree. I will never simply have an eat to live mind set and I'm ok with that. I will always enjoy ny food, just a little less of it than I used to lol.

I'm somewhere in between, I enjoy food, but I can eat the same thing every day for long periods of time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is the norm, and not necessarily a bad thing. Most social gatherings are centered around food, so it makes sense that we would associate food with good times.

We recently had the state fair in town. You know what most people looked forward to? The crazy fair food offerings.
    Summer time rolls around? The BBQs.
    Football season? Food... & beer
    Wedding? Food
    Birthday celebration? Food/Cake
    Hang out with friends? Try this new restaurant
    Winter time rolls around? Well, that's practically eating season with all the holidays.

I enjoy food but I don't live to eat. I also don't simply eat to live. I'm ok with that.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    FOOD IS FUN!
    OF COURSE!
    but its what kind of junk you are putting into your body
    and its about how you work it off.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Food's the best.

I'd rather eat than do most other things.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a foodie...food is fun. I love nothing more than trying new foods and recipes. When I'm traveling, eating at new restaurants and trying new cuisines is just about as high on the list of things to do as anything else. Nothing wrong with it so long as you can control yourself to some extent. It was pretty easy when maintaining, but a bit harder when cutting fat and missing out on about 250- 500 calories of goodness per day.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love food. But I also love being healthier. MFP is helping me figure out how to do both.
    I'm going to go out on my birthday and have fondue (for the first time in 2 years). I'm just eating less in the days working up to eat and am exercising more to make up for the calories! I have tried to find rewards for myself that aren't food, but a few food rewards won't derail my progress if I don't let it! :wink:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have an MFP meet up we end up going out for awesome "unhealthy" food, I consider it a healthy activity since I spend most days trying to make better choices about food, it's nice to go out and eat 4000 calories in a single meal every once and awhile and not have to log or worry about it!
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have an MFP meet up we end up going out for awesome "unhealthy" food, I consider it a healthy activity since I spend most days trying to make better choices about food, it's nice to go out and eat 4000 calories in a single meal every once and awhile and not have to log or worry about it!

So when are you and Melissa coming to visit? IN for pigging out.
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love food. I love all food. I like cooking, and sampling and experimenting. I like eating out at new restaurants and favourite restaurants and when my boyfriend or my Mum cooks for me.

I also look forward to occasions where I know there's going to be lots of nice food - holidays (particularly other countries where you can try new things, or stuff you can't get in the UK), weddings, birthdays (cake!), Christmas. I've already started fantasising about roast turkey.

It makes it more difficult to lose weight if you associate food with happiness, but that's what mfp is for. Meh. I don't think I'd be one of those 'eat to live' types either. So much enjoyment gone, just like that.

:drinker:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas are all bout the food. We tend to associate certain foods with events and celebrations and it is really difficult to get past that.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes! When my family gets together there is always a TON of food and I'd have to say that practically NONE of it is good for you because it's your typical Souther staples i.e. fried chicken, potato salad, pie, mac and cheese, gravy, biscuits, pie, deviled eggs, did I mention pie? etc. I'm having to learn to not associate food with things and it's definitely difficult. To add to the mix, I work in an office environment so every fund raiser is somehow associated, retirement parties, monthly "grazing days" (and the term grazing is really the best way to describe it). I'm just praying that I survive the holiday festivities and avoid the food the best I can!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yep! Food is fun - preparation, sourcing, eating... all of it.

Maybe a good way to look at it is to enjoy eating as an experience, but don't overindulge. I love the idea of going to a restaurant - being in a different atmosphere, around different people, but I know I can always get either a broth based soup or a salad at EVERY restaurant (not that I do, but I always have the option). So maybe you can tweak your thinking just a little bit to enjoy the experience and the food both. I know EXACTLY how you feel.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This, absolutely. Food is one of the greatest things we can enjoy in life. Food is as much about nourishing the soul as it is about fueling your body.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I actually have a list of places i wantvto eat at.

Mostly spicey food challenges.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas are all bout the food. We tend to associate certain foods with events and celebrations and it is really difficult to get past that.

that's because there's nothing to get past...people have celebrated with food since the beginning of time. It's only a big deal of "occasions" become every day occurrences...then there really not occasions anymore are they? Occasionally celebrating good times with awesome food is not a big deal...none of us got fat because of Thanksgiving or Christmas...we got fat because every day became Thanksgiving and Christmas and we failed to get our fitness on.