Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

squat frustration

Alright. For the sake of avoiding arguement please assume I'm eating well, stretching, and concentrate on my form. I really don't want to go off topic justifying myself. My current challange is comfortably squatting seventy pounds. My legs are comfortably challanged but my arms and back are simply telling me "no". I know I'm not the only one who has struggled with this and would appreciate any advice to overcome this challange. Please and thank yous!

Replies

• rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Check out the series "So you think you can squat" on YouTube. I learned a lot that really helped me put it all together.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    You could always just use dumbbells if it hurts your back. That's what I use right now until I can get a power rack and olympic weights/etc. If you're doing 70 lbs that's just two 35 lb dumbbells hanging on your side. That shouldn't hurt your back at all.

Otherwise I would probably double check your form or try doing a lighter weight and seeing where the bar feels the most comfortable and then gradually add weight back up until you get to your goal.

I had a similar problem with dumbbell presses where at first I couldn't get the heavier dumbbells into place to start lifting because my stabilizer muscles were still kind of weak. After pushing through it a few times they got with the program and now I don't have any problems.

Sometimes its hard to decipher whether the pain is just merely "discomfort" and "strain" where you have to work harder and mentally force yourself to push through it or if it really is pain and your body warning you to avoid injury.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Is the problem in the lower back indicating weak muscles or poor form? Or is it under the bar indicating improper bar placement?

Are the arm problems in the shoulders from a lack of flexibility or is it muscle strain from holding the bar up? If it is muscle strain then you are improperly supporting the bar with the arms instead of the back.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    this video really helped me get proper placement of the bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPN-ftmxG8
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Thank you all so much! The advice is much appreciated. :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Maybe you are leaning forward too much.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    If it were all about legs than I'd be able to squat the same weight that I can leg press. Most people can leg press more than two times what they squat.

Maybe add some accessory exercises that focus on your back. rows, back extensions, deadlift variants, etc... Accessory work should not be very hard and shouldn't hinder recovery.

ETA: Your arms hurting is kinda indicative of less than optimal form. You shouldnt be holding up the weight with your arms at all. You should be pulling the bar into your back. I got a hefty injury from lifting with my arms on accident (shifting the bar a bit).