Can't stay motivated doing insanity

I am into the end of my 2nd week of insanity. But the problem is the first workout I've ever done was about a month and a half ago. I have missed several workouts, simply because I always try to find ways to get out of doing it. I am capable of doing the workouts, I just need help staying motivated. Can you guys help me stay motivated?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    I did Insanity about a year ago and it was the best decision I've ever made! That being said, it's not for everyone. I know several people who got Insanity not realizing what they were getting into and were probably better off doing another workout and easing into it.

It's TOUGH but what was your motivation for doing it in the first place?

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can chat further! :)
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Do something you actually enjoy (obviously you don't as you are not consistent) and you will make the time to do it.
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Do you have a coach? (Not intending to self-advertise, honest!!!) When I did Insanity having a coach and her motivation group was the most helpful thing ever. I checked in with daily pictures, and we traded tips, recipes, etc with a group of about 50 women. If you think this might help you I'd be delighted to add you to mine.
  • Ilb320
    Ilb320 Posts: 56 Member
    Insanity is very popular but very demanding. I think you should check out Focus T 25. It's similar to Insanity but the moves are less intense. Here is the link to beachbody.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/focus-t25-workout.do
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    :tongue: Working on it now...if someone told me I had to do one squat to save my life I would surely die.

But it's a good sore!!
  • Motivation had always been a big issue with me. I always wanted be in good shape, but I just had not motivation to do it. Then this Summer I started doing Crossfit and it really has changed my life already! I went from never working out to now working out 6 days a week. I have had significant increases in strength and I find that I cant wait every single day to get off of work and go workout.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    then do something different
    its not for everyone.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Sometimes having a buddy or support system can help you stay motivated. Taking measurements and photos every two weeks at your fit test and seeing your progress is great motivation.

Do a search for the Insanity groups on MFP, there are plenty. Find someone who is starting up around the same time as you, add others doing the same program as you as friends so you can see them in your TL. If that doesn't help, try something else. Some people have a hard time sticking with home workout programs and need another setting, try outdoors ... find your preference.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    I have not done insanity but I can relate. I too have issues staying motivated when trying to do dvd workouts at home. I’m good for 2 weeks on a dvd schedule and them I’m mentally blocked. I have however been consistent in attending my boot camp classes 3 days a week for the last 5 months and I LOVE IT! I hate working out on my own – this I already know. I have to psych myself up to get a workout in at home.

Maybe look into workout buddies or support groups to help you stay motivated and accountable if you wish to continue with insanity? Or, perhaps look into some local classes that are being offered. If you find something you enjoy doing it becomes fun and you’ll WANT to do it.
  • Motivation is a personal thing and really differs by person. For me I find it harder to go to the gym than to find the motivation to work out at home (just because it takes little for me to start a workout but actually making a trip to the gym is prohibitive). I however have a consistent lapse issue that I'm trying to defeat. I'll stick with working out for 3-6 months at a time then lose it for a while. Personally the thing that helps me the most is having a workout partner if I can manage. It forces me to work out even when I'm not motivated to because I never want to screw over the other person. If you can't find a workout partner, using the community here could be a big help. Setting short term realistic goals helps me too. Lastly, as other people mentioned, decide if this is really a program you enjoy.
  • Do something else instead. For example, I hate all gym-related activities, along with most work-out DVDs and similar stuff. I'm an avid endurance athlete, however. I run and hike, mostly combining the two, I also swim - further, faster, further again. I love pretty much all outdoor kinds of activities, and am learning to ride horses so I can get into endurance riding one day. Don't look for just any exercise, look for a passion. Then it will all come together.