Heart Rate monitor

Hey all!

I'm getting close to my goal weight, only 20 or so lbs to go. I've been reading a lot about maintaining to get ready for this new stage in my fitness journey. I've been thinking about getting a Heart Rate Monitor to better calculate how much I burn during exercises so I can make sure to eat everything back. I was wondering which ones you all use and if you find them to be effective.

Thanks!

Replies

• newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    I use a Polar FT4 which I've used for seversl years and really like it. They have several different ones depending on how 'fancy' you want to get. Check them out at www.polar.co.
  • I recommend the Polar FT4. Ive had mine for about 8 months now and Still LOVE it.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    I've had a Polar FT4 for almost 2 years now and love it.
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks for the advice! I'll check that one out.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Polar, hands down. I currently have an FT60. This is my 3rd Polar....I used the first two for years until they completely died (the first one even changing the batteries wouldn't bring it back to life, and the second one the screen went all wonky and became unreadable).
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 210 and love it! It was the best investment! I feel lost on the rare occasions that I forget it.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Yah, POLAR all the way - mine is an FT7 - had it about 14 months, use it EVERY DAY. Tough.Durable.Accurate. nuff said!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    I LOVE my Polar FT4
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    I've had a Polar for about Five years...love it
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    I have a sportline duo which i love. its lasted forever and is accurate. Not as popular as the polar, but is a solid heart rate monitor. no matter what brand you decide on, be sure to get a chest strap and watch combo. they are the most accurate. good luck and congrats at almost being at goal.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Polar RCX3 w/GPS is what I use. There is a newer model (RCX5) so I was able to get this on Amazon for $200.

This is the 4th Polar I've had. They are very good devices and incredibly helpful, but the more bells and whistles you get, the less intuitive they are.

I like this one because I can upload my workouts to polarpersonaltrainer.com. The GPS is like any other, i.e. about 95% accurate in difficult places (trees, buildings etc..) and about 98-99% accurate otherwise.

Back light is not great either. And their buttons for whatever reason are always an issue. Too many times I hit them and find out that they didn't actually record a split.

Overall, certainly worthy of consideration. I am sure the garmin's are good but the one I had back in 2006 was a terrible device. They supposedly have gotten a lot better
    Hey all!

I'm getting close to my goal weight, only 20 or so lbs to go. I've been reading a lot about maintaining to get ready for this new stage in my fitness journey. I've been thinking about getting a Heart Rate Monitor to better calculate how much I burn during exercises so I can make sure to eat everything back. I was wondering which ones you all use and if you find them to be effective.

Thanks!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Polar FT4 for me too. They are great. Gives you enough to be useful and not too much to be a waste.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    How do they tell how many calories it burns?
    Does it do it by Heart Rate/Pulse?
    Formula?

If you took it off, does it still tell you how many calories you burned after a work out.
  • I have a Polar FT7 and i love it.
  • Salty_Sauce
    Salty_Sauce Posts: 1,329 Member
    I'm a huge fan of all things Garmin! I love my HRM.
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    I have the Polar FT4 and really like it, although I think the burn numbers run a little high. Having a heart rate monitor has helped keep me motivated!
  • kandalure
    kandalure Posts: 28 Member
    I've used my polar for years and I LOVE it!
  • jtravismedia
    jtravismedia Posts: 2 Member
    I switched from polar to garmin a few years ago.

But I only use my watch portion when road cycling or hiking. And yes it's been awhile.

But, which ever you choose, you might want to look at the app DigiFit.

You have to buy a sensor to connect it to your smartphone and wear your polar or garmin chest band.

The nice thing about it tracks numerous activities, measures your heart rate zones, maps hikes and rides, and also syncs with this site so yiu don't have to manually input your workouts.
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    I just ordered a Polar FT4 from amazon and should have it this week. I'll let you all know what I think of it.
  • phillinnz
    phillinnz Posts: 82 Member
    I am in maintenance. I do plenty of exercise, but I don't eat back all the calories. If I did I would put on weight, so perhaps the sites and apps overstate what you burn, or perhaps I don't quite get it right logging. Any heart rate monitor is only as good as the algorithm inside it. I use a woohoo chest band linked to Mapmyfitness on my iPhone. I like it. I think if I loose it I will buy a polar like you.