How do you treat your depression?? Lets Share!!!

Options

Replies

• mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I struggled for years and finally broke down and talked to my Dr. so now meds are helping me
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I pray to God. He helps me put things into perspective.♥
  • Mjconnelly586
    Mjconnelly586 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good friends, my dog, exercise and Vitamin D.

Depending on where you live, you are prob slightly suffering from SAD because the sun just is not out enough to give us the amount of vitamin D we need. Talk to your doctor about the right amount of vitamin D to take,

I used to be a therapist and I had multiple clients who used light therapy. The key for it to be most effective is you need to use the lamp prior to the sun rising, so you need to get up wicked early. It is tricking your brain into thinking you are absorbing vitamin D from the sun. You may get results otherwise, but to truly get the benefits you will want to use it before sun rise.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    With meds and therapy. Therapy helps the most. Still not really "better" though.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    alcohol and medical grade cannabis
  • KerriPerske
    Options
    Believe it or not.... Exercise has made my depression better.
    I never would have believed that a run would have helped me a couple of years ago, but after losing my exercise routine for a month I can tell my mood has changed.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Barney-Stinson-2.jpg
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    By sending my little Goober off to a babysitter and drinking large amounts of rum. Seriously.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    awxlig.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Some of these answers show me that many of you have not experienced depression. That is a very good thing. For those that have, however, exercise does help, but there is no shame in getting medication. If you had a heart condition or diabetes, you would take your medication, wouldn't you?

Clinical depression is an illness of the brain - not the mind.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Some of these answers show me that many of you have not experienced depression. That is a very good thing. For those that have, however, exercise does help, but there is no shame in getting medication. If you had a heart condition or diabetes, you would take your medication, wouldn't you?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1z_F0OsExKeW7XiZzyRKHJsAV0qRtLFSPW5qwBaO_wKC-h-9G
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Barney-Stinson-2.jpg

Haha this is my profile quote (paraphrased) ! Love NPH.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

Also some of us have just learned from experience that discussing some of this stuff in detail on the internet can have a way of coming back and biting you in the *kitten*. But everything you said is true.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You don't treat it. You live with it. You face it. You fight it. Everyday. You pray to all the powers that be everyday that it don't win. And on days that it does win, you gamble with lady luck that the safety in that gun is on and since you don't know how to operate a gun or turn off the safety, you live.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Exercise and chocolate and sex
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    You don't treat it. You live with it. You face it. You fight it. Everyday. You pray to all the powers that be everyday that it don't win. And on days that it does win, you gamble with lady luck that the safety in that gun is on and since you don't know how to operate a gun or turn off the safety, you live.

Virtual hugs for Taunto. :flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I like to simplify things for online. I've dealt with deep rooted depression that had me in the grip of eating disorders, cutting, medication overdosing "to see what would happen," a near compulsion to ram the car into a tree. There is no simple answer except time, persepective, retraining, and taking advantage of the things that you enjoy . . . outside of my family that would be exercise, chocolate, (and more related to the home) sex.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I guess there is a difference between feeling down or stuck in an emotional rut and clinical depression.
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

Who are you to hold claim to objective truth in the matter of depression? You don't know any of us, and assuming people who don't get treated with pills don't have depression is offensive. I'm not going to get into my background, but I assure you I had clinical depression - Which I treated through sheer power of Mind, after refusing meds for many years, even while undergoing inpatient rehabilitation. I am not a special snowflake; We all have this power, and you are severely underestimating the power of the human mind.

I know you weren't talking to me, but I saw the post and felt the need to reply. There is nothing wrong with taking meds either, if it works for you, I'm glad it makes you happy. But it's certainly not necessary. I could get into the FDA, about how America and the UK are some of the only places in the world where they are allowed to advertise drugs, but I won't.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've found the ketogenic diet has helped my depression and general mental cognition/capacity a lot

My issues have gotten a lot less severe and more manageable under ketogenic lifestyle as well.