Interval Training & Increasing

Options
Hi :) Just wondering if anyone here does any interval training with jogging / walking and how often do you train and increase your intervals?

I have just started up again and am not very fast at all, though proud of my 3 mins jogging - 1 min walking at the moment, considering it's been a while! I find I am averaging around 1km every 8-9 mins.

Would love to know how others are going with it, if you are new or experienced - All the motivation helps! :)
Would love to be able to run without stopping one day! :)

Replies

• TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Not to sound condescending but jogging is highly overrated for all things except jogging. If you want to eventually become a runner I guess. I would say let it be motivating that just being out and walking at all and jogging is enough. The eating is more important. Be sure to eat enough to be able to continue to jog without injury and pain and for maximal recovery. Eat the calories you're supposed to eat! You will be jogging a full mile/kilometer or whatever in no time! Depending on your size, experience, etc., jogging may not be the best thing for you so don't rush it. I know t.v. shows like to show this and that but trust me, that's entertainment. Eat healthily and do your post workout stretching/mobility and you'll be there in no time.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey - I know you asked about walking/jogging but I do 30 seconds of walking, 30 seconds of jogging, 30 seconds of sprinting - I do it about 8 times then, depending on how good I feel, I'll do it again maybe after a short water break. Once it gets easy for me I up the incline or the time. It's tough at first buts gets easier. To work up to doing this I walked briskly at varying inclines then one day I just went for the full pelt sprint. Now I love it! Get some good music flowing in your ears, something with a heavy beat - works wonders. I always do this after a strength routine as apparently it's better for burning fat and always make it last between 10 mins and 40 mins.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I did a 10 week program where we increased our intervals every week!

We started at 1 min walking/1 min running - 10 sets
    then 1/2 - 10 sets
    1/3 - 10 sets

As we increased time running we decreased our sets.. so at 7 weeks we were doing 4 sets of 1 min walking 1 min running!

Ending with 4 sets of 1 and 10!

=)