San Diegan who loves to eat and loves to exercise more

Options
My name is Leonel Sanchez and I love sports, especially basketball. I'm 51 and my best playing days are behind me though I love the game more than ever after nearly 40 years of playing regularly. I broke my arm in July chasing a loose ball and have played only once since then. My passion for the game has transferred to running, something that I've been doing since high school though not consistently because hoops always took precedence. I've struggled with weight gain over the years, mainly in my 20s and 30s, and largely because I did not keep track of what I was eating and felt that all the exercising I was doing made up for my poor eating habits. Beer was also a big contributor. I still love beer but don't drink that often and go out less and less as I am also a father who enjoys home life with my family.

This is the best time for me to lose weight. I am currently 162.5, having lost 2.5 pounds since joining FitnessPals three weeks ago. I'm tracking what I'm eating and keeping a journal/blog to document my progress. My strategy is to reduce my calorie intake, increase my exercise/running and mix in more fruits, almonds and foods that will make me feel full but are nutritious and taste good. It's a battle but I feel good about taking control of my weight once again. My highest weight was 190 in the early 1990s and was in the mid 180s in 2008 when I decided to go on a serious diet and lost 30 pounds in three months. My strategy then was eating less salty foods, less junk and continue my then regiment of playing three to four times a week, full court basketball at my local Y. My strategy now is to use social media for encouragement, information and as a tool to track how I'm doing.

Feel free to friend me or find me online especially if we have common interests and goals. My arm is fully healed and I plan to start lifting weight again pretty soon. I'm in between jobs and want to look good when I land my next gig. I'm in marketing and communications. I was also a journalist for 25 years and love to write.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I was just in San Diego less than a week ago. Lovely weather there! Sending a FR.