Quick question...

Options
...does drinking tea count in my water consumption? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I list my separately, but a friend who is a doctor has told me that decaf fluids count toward the daily hydration goal.
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't think it does I do mine separate too.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! :flowerforyou:
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Only if it's decaf with no sugar. I like red tea-it's naturally sweet!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/wl/2010/wlAskExperts0410.html

Ask the Experts
    April 2010 Archive2007200820092010

Q: Are caffeinated beverages dehydrating? Do they count towards my eight-a-day glasses of water?

A: Many people think they can’t count coffee, tea, and colas as part of fluid intake, because caffeine promotes urination briefly. But you don’t end up with a net loss of water from drinking moderate amounts of caffeinated beverages. In other words, they don’t dehydrate you.

For instance, in a study from the University of Nebraska Medical Center a decade ago, healthy adults showed the same "hydration status" (as determined from urine analysis and other tests) when they drank caffeinated colas and/or coffee as when they drank only water and/or fruit drinks. And in its 2005 report on water needs, the Institute of Medicine (IOM), which advises the government about health issues, including dietary intakes, concluded that "caffeinated beverages appear to contribute to the daily total water intake similar to that contributed by noncaffeinated beverages."

In any case, it’s a myth that you need to drink eight glasses of water a day. There’s no scientific backing for this rule. The IOM report confirmed this, too. People normally get enough fluids by drinking when they’re thirsty—though older people should drink water before they get thirsty, especially in the heat, since thirst is a less reliable indicator as we age. And other beverages besides water (including caffeinated ones), as well as foods (such as fruits and vegetables), help meet fluid needs.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think the simple answer is does it have water in it? Yes it counts., I recently heard on The Doctor Oz show that any drink with water counts and caffeine doesn't really dehydrate you. Although i try not to drink the caffeine I do count tea in my water consumption. There is a great ice tea that is caffeine free and diet at Kroger.(If you have Kroger near you) I drink it all the time.