Wisdom tooth removal! Any advice?

Options
Hi folks

Week after next I'm having three wisdom teeth out under general. (woe). So this obviously means mush diet for a little while.

Anyone got any experience with having this done and trying to lose? I don't want to end up eating junk mush or ingesting too many calories, and I'm likely going to be off the ice (my main burner) for a week at least.

Also, any yummy recipes for mush diet?

All your wisdom teeth stories welcome. What was your experience with how long it took to go back to normal food?

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    take a kaleidoscope for when your drowsy. it will be awesome.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat mush at all, was just careful when I was chewing. The actual procedure wasn't terrible, I was knocked out, woke up, and didn't even realize they had already done it lol I got all four taken out at once, I know it affects everyone differently but I had no pain and stopped taking the pain meds on the second day. About a week later I did end up having to take motrin for a day or two but it really isn't horrible like some people make it out to be.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I was told I woke up talking about the singing and dancing frogs climbing on the walls lol but as far as the 4 wisdom teeth I had pulled it wasn't that bad. I had gauze packed in where the teeth came out for a few hours then that came out, I ate progressive soup and chocolate pudding cups for a couple days and then starting introducing foods like oatmeal, soft bread sandwiches, more hearty soup (but easily swallowed) like chili. By the 5th day I was pretty much back to eating my regular diet and was no worse for wear.... I still joke with my dentist and my wife that they made the whole frog thing up but haven't won that battle... lol Best of Luck
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    it's not a biggie - i've had wisdom teeth extracted as well as othe teeth (at different times). you should get instructions from your doctor - i remember somethign about not eating too hot or too cold, and not using a straw. If you'll be on meds, you might not even want to eat that much.

think things like - pudding cups, yogurt, blended soups, soft boiled or scrambled eggs.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I was definitely told that you can't use a straw! Something about the suctioning you do when using a straw is really bad...
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bring an icepack with you to the dentist - it really helped me reduce the amount of swelling - I was still in pain but my face at least looked relatively normal :).Puddings, yoghurts, soups, and soft bread (no crust) were all fine the first day - after that I could eat relatively normal again. But I wasn't put under to get them extracted - just local anaesthetics...
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oh, I had one removed.. for me, the pain wasn't as severe but for a while I couldn't eat solids.. eat soups, low % yogurts, any kind of stuff like rice, couscous etc', and don't forget painkillers and lots of sleep!
    I also used to eat mashed potatoes, or just baked potatoes cut to very small pieces, and stuff that are mainly soft. I couldn't drink water really so I used a straw (although some people before me said their doc said not to)
    I personally did eat cold foods, simply because it helped ease the pain. couldn't open mouth very wide though, and talking will be a bit hard.
    avoid hot foods, don't take a hot shower the same day your tooth is removed, and keep positive. in a week or so you'll feel much better :))

for everyone the experience is different so don't just rely on our words, try for yourself and decide what would be better ^^
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I wore braces for years, and they did Xrays and found that my wisdom teeth were starting to affect my teeth. Either remove them, or wear braces again. LOL...all 4 of mine were impacted. They had to dislocate my jaw to get them out. I was SO swollen and in pain, I didn't care about food for days. Soft foods will be doable...oatmeal, potatoes, soup, applesauce, yogurt, cooked veggies. I remember eating a hard oatmeal cookie then thinking it was a bad idea because i had to flush out the spots and getting bits of cookie out of those holes was tricky :-P

A few years ago, DH had his out. He was eating dinner a few hours later like nothing was wrong.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    I just had a local so the wost part was the sound the chisel made when the dentist tried to pry the tooth from the bone.

I was told not to eat for the first 4 hours and to eat soft things, but to not use a straw because the pressure may make it bleed. I didn't use painkillers after, so there was a low grade aching for the first few days, but my dentist was good and didn't damage the nerve.

I drank smoothies and soup for the fist few days then moved on to soft food before I ate normally after the first week.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I never did eat anything mushy - they didn't tell me to do that, so I just ate normally. First of all, use the pain pills - it will make the pain minimal. I never did really feel much pain, though I was definitely poppin' those pills lol.

Main advice I would give you - get a pack of frozen peas and put a dishtowel/washcloth over them, and it is the perfect thing to put on your jaw afterward to get the swelling down. Packs of frozen veg like peas and corn are great than other cold packs, because they mold to the shape of your jaw. Use those for a day, you'll be great soon.

Just so you know, the procedure is easier/better than you think. Don't be scared, I would totally go through it again, and I am a big chicken.

Also, ask the doctor for a plastic syringe to use with water or mouthwash in, to flush food out of the "holes" left behind where the tooth used to be until they heal up. Food can get stuck in there, so you might want to "flush" them with the syringe after each meal.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha thanks everyone. If you couldn't tell, this is only my second major dental work ever and the first time ever I've gone under general!

I think I better make a trip to the supermarket next week, just in case. Yoghurt sounds like a great idea since dairy things make me feel full!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Banana smoothies.
    Mango smoothies.
    Potato and leek soup.

When i got mine out, they gave me dry toast. You serious mate?
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    You'll be fine. Wisdom teeth are no big deal and it might affect 1 meal. Dont stress it.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I'd have Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on standby too...

tumblr_lwo9fqZQhT1r5cmgfo1_500.gif

Oh and the guy above who says it will only effect one meal. thats a pile. it will be painful for at least a week, and its a gaping hole with stitches in it so yeh eatings hard.
  • bunnyklutz
    bunnyklutz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth removed earlier this year, all four at once. I ate soft foods mostly such as soups, very soft scrambled eggs, and more soup. It helped that I didnt really feel like eating until several days after the surgery and then I just stuck with foods that did not need to be chewed. Yogurt, applesauce, puddings, soups, mashed avocado/potatoes/anything you can mash. As I started healing I could do tuna salad, egg salad, souffles, still soft foods, but not just soups and liquid foods. I also drank those breakfast drinks with high protein, which I do NOT normally drink but needed something that I could do easily for breakfast/when I didnt feel like eating. Plus I read getting as much protein as you can will help you heal better (not saying this is true or not, but it didnt hurt). When i did want more solid foods, I stuck with foods that were easy to eat and could be "chewed" with my front teeth.

I would stay away from rice though, I had a grain get stuck in one of the holes and nearly had a panic attack trying to swish it out. My doctor recommended swishing with a very high salt salt water rinse after every meal or at least twice a day (morning when I woke up and before I went to bed). His definition of swishing was to just move my head side to side (like a dog *kitten* their head when they are confused) to gently let the water move back and forth. After day 5 or so I could swish more vigorously (like using mouth wash.) I used a tablespoon of kosher salt with one cup (8 fluid oz) of water and then rinsed with warm water to rinse out that salt water taste. Also I was told to just let the water fall out of my mouth after swishing, gross I know but I guess spitting is bad too.

I will also say that it was a miserable experience and the pain medicine did not make me loopy, or trippy or high, just tired and a bit cranky, I hated taking them but have never been into the whole pain pill thing to begin with. But it does get better and you'll be glad to have it done and over with. I lived with pain from my teeth for years and was glad to have it done.

As for weight loss, if you make most of your own food you should have no problem losing. Just dont stick to an ice cream and pudding only diet lol. I ended up losing about 10 pounds while on my soft foods diet without even really trying although for me this was mostly due to not really wanting to eat a lot until most of my pain was gone.

Good luck with your surgery, I healed great from mine, just remember no straws - sucking will pull the blood clots out and that can lead to dry socket which can be terribly painful and has to be treated by going back to the doctor and will delay your healing. I've heard the pain is worse than the actual surgery but thankfully have not experienced it myself. The holes themselves will take around 3 months to fully close over but you should be able to eat and chew real food after two or three weeks.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    have someone drive you
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 17 ... I went clothes shopping with my mom right after I was done (then we went to the gym) ... I didn't really have much pain (I have a high pain tolerance), so I didn't really deviate from my normal diet at the time ... Though, I remember having lasagna for dinner that night, and that's not really "hard", so ... (Yeah, I have one of those weird autistic-like memories ... I remember weird stuff) ... Anyway, take the Percoset they give you and you'll be fine ... Percoset + elliptical = weird, but strangely fun ...
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It's been a few years but I don't remember having to deviate from my regular eating much at all. Soup is always an option if you're in pain for a few days later.
  • SoccerGal1985
    Options
    I had mine out, all four at once. I didn't go under general though. I was lucky, I just had aching in my jaw from them trying to pry the teeth from my mouth. But eating was hard for about a week because you can't really open your mouth too wide and you have holes where the teeth were that you need to clean.

For me I kept to things that were soft for the first few days, things I could eat with a spoon. I also resorted to over cooked pasta just to change things up a bit.

The biggest thing was that I learned how to chew with my front teeth for a while. This greatly increases the number of foods you can eat. I would just chew it up with my front teeth first lol Then as you heal and can open your mouth wider you can chew with progressively further back teeth until you are all healed up and can eat normally.

Yogurt, pudding, potato, cooked veggies, applesauce, ice cream, overcooked pasta, milk/chocolate milk.

But, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I found it hard just to eat at all for a few days. It took me like an hour to eat 1/2 cup of Kraft Dinner....so I would just get fed up and go hungry lol
  • alliewondaland
    Options
    Soft gel ice packs, vanilla ice cream and rinsing with warm salt water.