weight loss stall

Options
Using a HRM i have figured out my calories burned (i know it is just an estimate) and have come up with the following

16 hours that i am awake i burn 2176 cals
6 hours i am asleep 684 cals
the other two hours are exercise @ 831
all in all this would be the average for M-W-F

T-TH my calories would be more like this

16.5 hours awake @2230
5 hours asleep @570
.5 hours Cardio at gym@207
2 hours of basketball @1200

7 days a week i eat approx 2000 calories but i am still stuck at my current weight. I have tried eating more calories +500-700) for a month before and actually put weight on.

what should my next step be?

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate your calorie burn when not exercising? You didn't use the HRM did you? Because HRMs should only be used for steady state cardio exercise when your Heart Rate is above a certain point.

It won't give you an accurate burn on day to day living or sleeping.

So your problem is probably that you are overestimating your burn and eating too much.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You didn't get any accuracy using a HRM to figure that out. A HRM is only accurate for steady state cardio, using it any other time will give you greatly exaggerated numbers.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    ok, sleep numbers may be off, check

the other i wore it during the day from the time i got up until i showered
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Was your HR elevated the whole time you wore it like if you were running or doing aerobics? If not it's giving you inflated numbers.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    1: What you need is a Fitbit or BodyMedia or something similar. HRM's are only good for steady state cardio, when you heart rate is constantly elevated.

2: Measure/weigh EVERYTHING you eat. You may be eating more than you think.
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Measure and record every single thing you put into your mouth.
    Try and calculate your TDEE. Total daily enerygy expenditure.

Then deduct 10-15% of TDEE and eat the reminder.
    Do not eat your exercise calories.

Worked for me.. before that I stalled for a year.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    7 days a week i eat approx 2000 calories but i am still stuck at my current weight. I have tried eating more calories +500-700) for a month before and actually put weight on.

what should my next step be?

Cut cals by 10% and monitor for 2-3 weeks. if no change, cut by another 10%.

Also, if you're not weighing/measuring your food, it can be very hard to accurately estimate intake.

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    sorry, i should have given more info

i measure my meals

4 oz of salad, dressing, light cheese etc

lunch is 5oz of chicken and 5 oz of turkey, 1/4 cup of cheese

i had my BMR done professionally at UPMC in pittsburgh and that came out at 2200 (that was at a laying down state)

i put the HRM on for work just to see where my TDEE would be.

my relaxed state or working state numbers put my HR at anywhere between 60-75ish (depending if i had just went up a few flights of stairs carrying a desktop) while when i exercise my HR is anywhere between 115-150 and resting between sets it drops to about 100.
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Measure/weigh EVERYTHING you eat. You may be eating more than you think.
    True. Even missing 20 calories a day is 140 calories a week or 560 a month. Little amounts can add up.

For example, I have been sick recently and didn't realize at first just how many calories were in the cough syrup I was taking. Log everything!