Nervous about starting strength training

Options
Hi all,

So I got the e-book New Rules of Lifting for Women and read it. Got a gym membership a month ago.. and still haven't started yet. I feel quite nervous and intimated about going. I know this sounds silly, but I'm really short (5'0"), I have a very soft voice and I know I'm not very assertive, so I feel like a clueless little girl trying to be one of the big boys.. And I'm 33 years old!!

I plan on going today but trying to work up the courage to actually go. I have never done a lifting program before so I know I'm going to have to ask for instructions on how to do squats properly. I feel nervous about having to ask for help, and with my luck I'll probably meet the one *kitten* who'll try to talk me out of doing the New Rules program and get me on a different program or show me the cardio section lol ;-)

I know it all sounds silly and I shouldn't feel so insecure, but some encouragement and tips from the ladies who've gone through the same thing would be helpful!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound silly at all. There are loads of posts like this. I would make an appointment with the instructor to show you the moves and how to set up the weights etc. You could then schedule a second appointment with you taking the lead with the instructor watching to check you are doing it correct. That should hopefully make you more confident.

Good luck.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I just started and I am 30. I guess I kind of cheated and hired a trainer because I wanted to learn Olympic lifts too. It did make it easier having someone with me to show my the correct form. I started with PVC pipe too; he wouldn't even let me touch the bar until I got used to the movements.

Don't let fear hold you back - I did and it was stupid. I finally said I was hiring a trainer because I knew that I would never do it myself. I wish I could go back in time and kick myself to have done it sooner. Go and have fun - there's nothing more empowering than lifting weights for me.
  • crb0077
    crb0077 Posts: 35
    Options
    I agree with other posters.....invest in a trainer to show you the ropes and guide you....I'm 35 and started lifting this year in Feb....I love it...and I still have my trainer too.....I seem to be able to do more when I work out with him! Although I'm confident enough to get in the gym and do it myself, I probably don't push myself as much as I do when I'm being barked at! hahaha

Good luck and enjoy! x