HELP....I need to find a way to drink more water

Options
Greetings,

As the title of this post pretty much sums up, I have to find or force myself into a habit of drinking more water. Currently, I only drink 2-3 cups on a good day. I wish it was more like 7-8 to help with the hunger cravings. Anyone have any tips?

A little about myself. I just started MFP last week and feel like I'm off to an excellent start considering I am combining exercise 6 days a week to meet my 1300 net calorie daily intake. However, I just don't drink enough water and I get really hungry. My water consumption is so bad because even with a full meal I won't drink any water to compliment it. Any ideas?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you want to drink more water then drink more water. It's a conscious decision. No trick, just pick up a water bottle, carry it with you and drink. That said you only need to drink enough of anything for your urine to be pale yellow. Tea, coffee, juices, milk, soup, food are all fluids that hydrate. You obviously haven't died yet so you've been getting enough hydration somewhere. Water won't make you not be hungry if you really are hungry.

Edit: Just checked your diary. An adult male should be consuming at least 1800 calories a day just to maintain health so with your budget set at 1300 you probably really are hungry, not just needing a drink.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Start your morning with 1-2 cups of water. then throughout the day, always have a bottle of water with you - make an effort to take a few gulps, every 30 minutes, let's say. then you will have consumed several cups during the day. slowly - don't force it, but do teach yourself this habit
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    What do you do for a living? If you're in an office, it's easy - just sync up your toilet breaks with your water breaks.

What I do is knock back 4 glasses first thing (although 2 would probably do it). This forces your bladder into needing to use the toilet about 30-60 mins later. Then every time i go to the bathroom, I drink 1 glass at the water cooler and bring 1 back to my desk. About 30-60 mins later, nature calls again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

As long as I force myself to get the first portion in early and gulp some down every time I use the bathroom, the rest takes care of itself. I get through about 12-16 glasses (3-4 litres) a day this way.

Don't work in an office? You'll just need to adapt it to work with litre bottles instead.
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I drink much more water it it's really cold... keep my water bottle in the freezer at night then add ice constantly...
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi! I figured out how much water I SHOULD be drinking (five 16.9 oz bottles a day) and when i get up in the morning i put those 5 bottles on the top shelf of my fridge. I then know exactly when I am low on my water intake. Seems silly but it works. Now I am finding that I am finishing those bottles way before the day ends and have been drinking around 7 bottles now. I also reward myself on days that I finish my water intake early by allowing myself to have a sprite zero or an extra coffee!

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/#
  • gajones02
    gajones02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am also new, take my advice in that light. If I am wrong, the more experienced should feel free to correct me. You can't hurt my feelings and I'm really here to learn, not to give advice when I don't know much of anything!!!

I put a splash of raw apple cider vinegar (less than a tbsp) and a Stevia In the Raw packet to my 20oz drinking go-cup. It adds flavor and I have replaced every soft drink I used to drink.

The ACV is the miracle cure folks recommend three tbsp three times a day. I come in less than that so I don't worry about the acid content. I have not experienced any trouble of any sort in the last month although YMMV.

Two "glasses" of this is 40oz, equal to five glasses of water. It's easy to get the recommended amount, and more, this way.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Drink more water to drink more water.

That said, I have three or four water bottles and keep them in the fridge. I'm constantly switching them out, since cold water is tastier to me. Just make sure you always have water near you.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I put a splash of raw apple cider vinegar (less than a tbsp) and a Stevia In the Raw packet to my 20oz drinking go-cup. It adds flavor and I have replaced every soft drink I used to drink.
    Are you adding the ACV and Stevia for flavor or just the ACV for it's reported benefits and the Stevia to counter the acidity?
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am also new, take my advice in that light. If I am wrong, the more experienced should feel free to correct me. You can't hurt my feelings and I'm really here to learn, not to give advice when I don't know much of anything!!!

I put a splash of raw apple cider vinegar (less than a tbsp) and a <b>Stevia In the Raw</b> packet to my 20oz drinking go-cup. It adds flavor and I have replaced every soft drink I used to drink.

The ACV is the miracle cure folks recommend three tbsp three times a day. I come in less than that so I don't worry about the acid content. I have not experienced any trouble of any sort in the last month although YMMV.

Two "glasses" of this is 40oz, equal to five glasses of water. It's easy to get the recommended amount, and more, this way.

FYI, Stevia in the "Raw" is indeed Stevia in the Dextrose...aka sugar. Not exactly marketed truthfully.

Only sharing because I was shocked & annoyed to find out it was marketed deceptively, not to say you are wrong for using it :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Have a cup or bottle of water next to you all day and take a sip regularly.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Drink through a straw.
  • baseddon
    baseddon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound strange, but buy an awesome bottle to drink out of. That worked for me.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound strange, but buy an awesome bottle to drink out of. That worked for me.

Agreed!
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options
    I put slices of orange or cucumber in my water just so it has a little taste to it. I find it easier to drink more that way.
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I find flavouring my water increases my intake. I use a little splash of vanilla and add lemon, lime or orange wedges...or berries. Helps a lot. And finding something you like drinking out of. Or maybe I'm the only weirdo that has preferences like that...I have a favourite coffee mug...and a favourite water bottle.
  • gajones02
    gajones02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    FYI, Stevia in the "Raw" is indeed Stevia in the Dextrose...aka sugar. Not exactly marketed truthfully.

Only sharing because I was shocked & annoyed to find out it was marketed deceptively, not to say you are wrong for using it :)

I wasn't happy with that either, but although deceptive it is sadly almost normal these days.
  • Healthy_Hunnie
    Healthy_Hunnie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi Frank,

I have several suggestions that I have personally tried and ones I have not. Hope one of these can help you.

I took, as an elective in college, a class called Food and Nutrition. My professor urged us to take a sip of water with every bite you eat. He told us that the benefit to doing this is adding moisture to the food for digestive purposes and to add more water to your daily intake. While I dont stick to that 100%, being conscious of the habit could help you get more water. Something else he suggested was drinking a full glass of water before you eat your meal. This will ensure at least 3-5 full glasses daily (depending on meals eaten).

Something else you can start doing is adding lemons, limes, cucumbers, fresh fruit, etc. to your water and let it sit in a fridge over night. This will taste more refreshing than plain tap water, gives you a flavor, and might trick you into thinking that it is not water. I also like to carry a couple "go packets" of crystal light with me. This will give me a 0 calorie flavored drink that is still water. Not sure how you feel about adding powders/flavor enhancers to your water though.

I havent tried this myself, but I have seen it work for others.. Getting a sturdy water bottle thats half your daily water intake goal and make sure to drink a portion of the bottle each hour until you hit lunch time. This is when the bottle should be empty. Then fill it up again and make sure you finish the second half before dinner. This way you know you have your daily goal met, you are not forcing water into your system right before bed time, and if you drink more after your goal is met, there is no harm done; you can always use more water than your goal.

The website below is a pretty neat tool that calculates how much water you should try to consume in a day. You could use this to help you figure out how much you need.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

What I do, which isnt necessarily the cheapest, is make sure I drink at least 6 bottles of water a day. I love the taste of bottled water and its convenient, I keep a pack of bottled water in my car at all times. This way I always have access to water when needed. Ill use the same concept as the big water bottle (mentioned before) without having a reusable water bottle. Again, that isnt the most savvy option when it comes to money, but again, I love the taste of bottled water.

Not sure if this helps, but these are my suggestions. You just need to be creative and make sure you track it in MFP. Theres an area to input how many you have drank. I always feel better when I fill the glass up :)

ALSO - Congrats on committing to making a lifestyle change. Sound like you have the right ideas and will have amazing results when you stick with it for a few more weeks. Good
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This is what I've done! I have several water bottles I use so that I'm never without one. I love my Camelbak for when I'm out and about, and I have a large Nalgene next to my bed with a straw inside. It's so much easier for me to drink water from a bottle than from a glass. It's likely psychological, but so long as I get my liquids who cares? :D

I also add flavors to my water, either powders that boost my vitamins C & B, or just add a good twist of lemon to it. When I'm tired of drinking plain water it gives me something new and helps to switch it up.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just drink it. Try making sure you have a glass with each meal or something, and maybe one with your morning snack and afternoon snack. The 64 oz a day is a pretty pointless number, so if you're already reaching 40 or so oz a day that might be all your body needs.

I wanted to point out that a net of 1300 is pretty low for a guy. I'm a female and 1300 is the absolute lowest I'll go when trying to lose fat. You might want to try upping that. That in itself will help with hunger.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I always drink a big glass first thing in the morning. When I walk into the office head to the kitchen and grab a bottle of water. I make sure I drink a bottle by each trading deadline I have which is every two hours. At home a drink a few more glass. Also, I don't drink anything other than water, tea, or coffee.

On the always being hungry thing....maybe you need to eat more food. Your calorie intake is way less than mine and I'm 5'2.