Getting anxious about scale fluctuations...please help...

Options
I know all the answers about scale fluctuations. I read many times "the scale is up a pound in a few days and I ate less or maintenance." This is my scenario. I just need some reassurances that this isn't real weight.

Today I visit the gym. I will be starting to exercise.

My weight increase can't be do to TOM (at the end of that) or muscle repair. My ring wasn't really tight this morning, so I don't think it is a salt issue.

My diary is private, but I assure you I am eating maintenance (1450 or under. last night I ate 1100). I don't have a food scale, but I eat a lot of fresh veggies which I count or use a cup measure. I drink almond milk (which I measure out). I eat no-salt added soup. I eat pre-measured 100 calorie popcorn. (trying to show that I am not taking big portions of food without realizing it because it comes pre-packaged). I over estimate if I am suspicious of the calorie content. I am 100% confident I am not over eating. Moreover, I haven't changed my ways, but the fluctuations seem to be more on the high side (fewer low weight fluctuations). The only thing I can think of is I did take a vacation for 10 days. I returned 8 days ago. Maybe I am just now seeing the ramifications of my vacation eating (I definitely did eat more).

support and encouragement appreciated.

I removed the month's snapshot. I realize it will show up in quotes. I am not looking for ridicule. I apologize if I am offending or annoying anyone. Not my intention.

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance calories are only 1450? That seems really low to me, but I guess depending on your height/weight it could be plausible.

Basically you answered your own question.. it could very well be from food that you had eaten while on vacation, or even though your ring wasn't tight it could still be water retention. Water retention doesn't show everywhere all the time. Fluctuations are normal even while maintaining. If it was like 6 or 7 lbs at a time, then maybe it would be fat but it sounds like it's just different variables causing some water retention. Just drink more fluids and you should see a difference.

EDIT: You added more information after I wrote this. The fluctuations are all less than a pound. That is nothing at all to worry even the slightest about. If I were you I would go see a nutritionist.. it sounds like you need to get a professional opinion on your weight and maintenance calorie amount so that you can maintain properly.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Are your muscles sore from the visit to the gym? If so, then your body is holding onto fluid (to repair muscles, although you think it's not possible - it is.)
    Have you eaten before weighing? Wearing the same thing/weighing at the same time? Have you pooped lately?
    Anything can attribute to a small fluctuation.
    Don't weigh daily if it will bother you.

Now, that said, if you are going to be working out, log and eat your exercise calories. I can guarantee you that maintenance isn't 1450 for you. If MFP gave you 1450 as a goal, eat that much. There is already a deficit worked in so you lose without exercise.

**You added more after I started replying.
    You are under 100lbs and want to lose more weight? How tall are you? I don't imagine you should go much lower than you are!!
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Your 'fluctuations' are all within a pound. I know it can be a bit unnerving, but I definitely don't think there's anything to worry about.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    Options
    You are under 100lbs and want to lose more weight? How tall are you? I don't imagine you should go much lower than you are!!

I think she wants to maintain, or at least that is my understanding.

OP, I think maybe your body is fluctuating upwards because it feels that there is not enough body fat. It's really important to make sure you are at a healthy weight for your frame size. I would maybe go see a nutritionist for an accurate maintenance calorie amount.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Are your muscles sore from the visit to the gym? If so, then your body is holding onto fluid (to repair muscles, although you think it's not possible - it is.)
    Have you eaten before weighing? Wearing the same thing/weighing at the same time? Have you pooped lately?

Now, that said, if you are going to be working out, log and eat your exercise calories. I can guarantee you that maintenance isn't 1450 for you. If MFP gave you 1450 as a goal, eat that much. There is already a deficit worked in so you lose without exercise.

No. Trying to maintain weight. I haven't started to work out. I start that process today by touring the gym and signing up. (big step for me) and hoping to increase muscle and tone. I am 5'5.5.''

My maintenance did come out to be 1450 using the sedentary setting. I typically eat that. (a few days I happen to eat less). trying to figure out my body and how much food it needs and will even out at. If I jump to 1800 I am scared the weight would pile on, if the scale is gaining at maintenance.

note: I will definitely be eating back all of my exercise calories. no question about that.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I know all the answers about scale fluctuations. I read many times "the scale is up a pound in a few days and I ate less or maintenance." This is my scenario. I just need some reassurances that this isn't real weight.

Today I visit the gym. I will be starting to exercise.

My weight increase can't be do to TOM (at the end of that) or muscle repair. My ring wasn't really tight this morning, so I don't think it is a salt issue.

My diary is private, but I assure you I am eating maintenance (1450 or under. last night I ate 1100). I don't have a food scale, but I eat a lot of fresh veggies which I count or use a cup measure. I drink almond milk (which I measure out). I eat no-salt added soup. I eat pre-measured 100 calorie popcorn. (trying to show that I am not taking big portions of food without realizing it because it comes pre-packaged). I over estimate if I am suspicious of the calorie content. I am 100% confident I am not over eating. Moreover, I haven't changed my ways, but the fluctuations seem to be more on the high side (fewer low weight fluctuations). The only thing I can think of is I did take a vacation for 10 days. I returned 8 days ago. Maybe I am just now seeing the ramifications of my vacation eating (I definitely did eat more).

support and encouragement appreciated.

Here is a month snapshot (the missing days are vacation days)

9/29/2013 99;
    9/30/2013 98.4;
    10/1/2013 98.2;
    10/2/2013 98;
    10/3/2013 98.2;
    10/4/2013 98.2;
    10/6/2013 98;
    10/7/2013 99.2;
    10/8/2013 98;
    10/9/2013 97;
    10/21/2013 99.8;
    10/22/2013 98.6;
    10/23/2013 98.8;
    10/24/2013 98.4;
    10/25/2013 98;
    10/26/2013 98.4;
    10/27/2013 98;
    10/28/2013 98.6;
    10/29/2013 98.8;

For most accurate weight you should weigh yourself first thing after going pee on the same scale.... Also, are you taking in the same amount of water? Could be water weight...
  • rosemary98
    Options
    quote from above

"For most accurate weight you should weigh yourself first thing after going pee on the same scale.... Also, are you taking in the same amount of water? Could be water weight..."

I do the standard--weigh yourself first thing in the morning, naked, after using the bathroom. but no, my fluids aren't always consistent...but don't vary hugely.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    Options

No. Trying to maintain weight. I haven't started to work out. I start that process today by touring the gym and signing up. (big step for me) and hoping to increase muscle and tone. I am 5'5.5.''

My maintenance did come out to be 1450 using the sedentary setting. I typically eat that. (a few days I happen to eat less). trying to figure out my body and how much food it needs and will even out at. If I jump to 1800 I am scared the weight would pile on, if the scale is gaining at maintenance.

note: I will definitely be eating back all of my exercise calories. no question about that.

You are 5'5" and weigh less than 100lbs? I am 5'6" and was told by a nutritionist that a healthy weight for my height is around 130-145.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Seriously?
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    So it looks like over the past like month you've stayed within 97-99. You're doing perfect. You're never going to stay at EXACTLY the same weight EVERY single day for the rest of your life. Good job!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I weighed 150 lbs one day and the very next day I weighed 156. I really don't care about the stupid scale anymore. I only use it maybe once a month now.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nvm.
  • rosemary98
    Options

You are 5'5" and weigh less than 100lbs? I am 5'6" and was told by a nutritionist that a healthy weight for my height is around 130-145.

I am exceptionally small boned...and no muscle at all. I am trying to change that. hence, why I am starting the gym. I know I will gain weight my doing some lifting, etc. I am okay with that...because that will be muscle.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    If daily fluctuations stress you out, then you are not a good candidate for daily weigh-ins. Weigh less often=less stress.

I have been considering that. scales aren't perfect and our bodies do some weird things do to stress and hormones that have nothing to do with over eating. Thank you.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

That.... :huh:
  • rosemary98
    Options
    So it looks like over the past like month you've stayed within 97-99. You're doing perfect. You're never going to stay at EXACTLY the same weight EVERY single day for the rest of your life. Good job!

Thank you. I tend to forget that you can do everything the same...but there will always be fluctuations. I am not a rock that would weigh the exact weight every single day. I am living, breathing...have intake and output. I just needed some MPF support.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Seriously?

My thoughts exactly!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

I am exceptionally small boned...and no muscle at all. I am trying to change that. hence, why I am starting the gym. I know I will gain weight my doing some lifting, etc. I am okay with that...because that will be muscle.

To gain muscle, you need to eat at a surplus. You won't gain muscle eating at a deficit.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I weighed 150 lbs one day and the very next day I weighed 156. I really don't care about the stupid scale anymore. I only use it maybe once a month now.

Thank you for sharing that. I am inclined to ditch the daily weighing.
  • rosemary98
    Options

To gain muscle, you need to eat at a surplus. You won't gain muscle eating at a deficit.

To clarify...if I eat maintenance (whatever that might be) and I eat ALL my exercise calories back, is that correct?
    Or, do you mean that I should eat above and beyond maintenance AND all of my exercise calories back.