Women: PMDD diagnosis - how do I stop the weight gain?!

Options
I've been struggling for about 6 months and I've finally, with my doctor's evaluation, figured out that I have Premenstral Dysphoric Disorder, which essentially is HORRIBLY extreme PMS. I've never experienced PMS symptoms or even cramps for most of my life and bam! My body has changed. So, does anyone have experience with combating the associated issues (extreme bloating, rapid weight gain, feeling lethargic, depressed, anxious). They say fitness and healthy eating helps but I already work out 4 - 5 times a week and keep within my calorie goals. I've even recently given up drinking, and this morning I got on the scale to have gained 5 pounds in 4 days. HELP!

Replies

• robinfulton
    Options
    You may want to search for PCOS which has some similar types of symptoms. I know I find a low GI diet keeps everything the most stable (mood, weight, fatigue).
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me, getting on the right BC was a huge help, but if you don't want to take hormonal BC, that may not be an option for you.

Other things that help are drinking water (I average 64-80oz per day) and a higher fat diet (my daily limit is set to 58 grams, and some days I even go over that a little). While protein keeps me physically full, fats help me feel satisfied and also seem to help regulate the hormonal fluctuations some.
  • let1179
    let1179 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I understand this an OLD post, but I am struggling right now. I have the PMDD, I want to cry, scream, yell, be held, comforted...and I hate it because I feel no control over myself or choices, no matter how much I try! People say to plan for pms days, which I have been attempting to do but it doesn't seem to help. I do take meds for this, and believe it or not, I'm doing better than I have in the past. It just sucks!
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Forget about weighing yourself on PMDD days. It's pointless. Allow yourself to eat up to maintenance from the start, do your best, and if you go over, you go over.