How can I avoid this obvious issue with my diet?

Hello there! I am currently 5'3" and I weigh around 160. I am also a T1 diabetic on pump therapy. I am also a college student who is struggling to pay her way through school (which relates to my problem).

I work at a Subway on my college campus. A perk of this job is that I can get $9.50 worth of food each shift I work, which is great since I only have about $30 left over each month after rent for groceries.

I typically get turkey or chicken sandwiches, veggie sandwiches, and salad when I work, along with apple slices and the occassional 1%milk.

I am worried that my diet is not diverse enough to get me the nutrients and variety my body needs (still figuring out that planning a diet thing). Does anyone have advice for someone in my situation?

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    For one thing I don't see why you'd ever skip the protein that some of their deli meats provide so I'd never opt for just a veggie sandwich. Include some meat and cheese in them. What do you eat outside of work? You can add a daily multivitamin for your micronutrients.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    the salads at Subway should provide enough diversity for one meal a day providing you eat from the whole range. Not sure whether the bread is helpful to a T1 diabetic on a pump or not.

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/NutritionList.aspx?id=salad&Countrycode=USA
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Sounds like a great perk, since you are low on money. You are making some good food choices.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. With all the fresh veggie choices you probably do pretty good on that front. Assuming that you don't just put lettuce and mayo on your sandwiches.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    the salads at Subway should provide enough diversity for one meal a day providing you eat from the whole range. Not sure whether the bread is helpful to a T1 diabetic on a pump or not.

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/NutritionList.aspx?id=salad&Countrycode=USA

This ^^ Even if bread is not a problem, Subway subs are very bread heavy to eat every day. Opt for the salads instead of sandwiches occasionally.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    to be honest i am not sure what this 'obvious issue' is? subway do a large enough range of fillings that you shouldnt get bored, and plenty of veg to keep mixing up salads... IIFYM!