Diabetes and Weight Gain

Options
I am a type 2 diabetic on 3 different medications that all have a side effect of weight gain. 6 months ago I couldn't get my blood sugar down but I was maintaining my weight. Now I have my blood sugar under control and have gained 20 pounds eating the same diet. I never over eat and really watch my portions.

I started back with myfitnesspal two weeks ago and am sticking to a 1200 calories / day diet with little or no results. I am told it's harder to lose weight when you are a diabetic.

Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    I am Type 2 diabetic but only on one medication currently. I don't know what to tell you, except that maybe you should consult with your GP and your dietician/nutritionist. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Type 2 Diabetic - you are going to have to watch your carbs very closely. Calorie counting will not get the weight off and the blood sugars under control.

I am no longer on medications for diabetes either. Eating a lower carb plan that is void of processed foods, most grains and sugar (even fruit is eaten as a dessert, not a mainstay of my eating). This is what has gotten my Blood sugars under control and stable to come off the meds and be controlled by diet and exercise.
  • sziemba1
    sziemba1 Posts: 34
    Options
    Keep your carb gms around 100 gms a day. Stay away from "white foods" - anything made with flour, potatos, rice, or sugar. You will lose weight.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Keep your carb gms around 100 gms a day. Stay away from "white foods" - anything made with flour, potatos, rice, or sugar. You will lose weight.

There is quite a bit of research and evidence that says we should keep the carbs well below 100 if you don't want to be taking meds for the rest of your life or if you want to reverse the diabetes.

For me, I am not interested in controlling diabetes and taking maintenance meds for life. I am only interested in reversing it.
    A Low-Carb Diet Shown to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
    Study Proves Very Low Carb Diet is Effective
    From Debra Manzella, R.N., former About.com Guide
    Updated March 20, 2009
    About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board

Ali Taylor/Stock.xchng
    Does a low-carb diet really help control or even reverse type 2 diabetes1? According to a study from Duke University, a very low-carb diet (20 grams or less a day) gave participants better blood sugar control and more effective weight loss than participants who followed a low-glycemic2 reduced calorie diet.
    Eighty-four people with obesity and type 2 diabetes took part in the study. During the study, both groups also had the supportive benefit of group meetings, nutritional supplementation and an exercise program. After 6 months, the low-carb group had lower hemoglobin A1c3 results, lost more weight, and 95% were able to reduce or even totally eliminate their diabetes medications. The reduced calorie group did lose weight, and 62% of them were also able to reduce or eliminate their medications, but the low-carb diet group had better overall results.

"It's simple," says Eric Westman, MD, director of Duke's Lifestyle Medicine Program and lead author of the study. "If you cut out the carbohydrates, your blood sugar goes down, and you lose weight which lowers your blood sugar even further. It's a one-two punch."

The low-carb diet used in the study is very restrictive on carb intake, with participants eating under 20 grams of carbs a day. This may be difficult for many people to stick to, but as Dr. Westman says, "This is a therapeutic diet for people who are sick," says Westman. "These lifestyle approaches all have an intensive behavioral component. In our program, people come in every two weeks to get reinforcements and reminders. We've treated hundreds of patients this way now at Duke, and what we see clinically and in our research shows that it works."

Keep in mind that there is more to these results than just diet. Both groups also exercised regularly as well. Diet combined with exercise4 is the cornerstone of diabetes management. Before starting any diet program, please talk with your doctor, or healthcare provider.

Source:

(Jan. 5, 2009). Low-Carb Diets Prove Better at Controlling Type 2 Diabetes . Retrieved February 19, 2009, from DukeHealth.org Web site: http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes[/link">