No-heat lunches for work

Options

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm going to check that link - thanks!!!

I keep a blender at work and have Shakeology often.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Love all the ideas here!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You can pick up a decent thermos pretty cheap if you like soups, chilis, stews...that kind of thing.

Or purchase one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H5V7ZY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

best thing EVER! I keep it right at my desk, plug it in around 10-10:30am, and my lunch is heated up by noon-12:30 :heart:

:laugh: How big is it? I would feel self-conscious w a big crockpot on my desk. And, I don't think that I could sit there for two hours while my food is cooking and smelling so good. :laugh:
  • jaecobb86
    jaecobb86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like to take a pouch of low sodium tuna ( one small pouch is actually one serving and like 60 calories!) some hummus, carrots, crackers, an apple and yogurt. It gets me through!

Happy eating!
  • GettingMooreInShape
    Options
    I LOVE my thermos! They make really nice ones now. I'm eating homemade, warm chili on my lunch break right now :) Tastes so good!
    I also like to pack beef stew, tortilla soup, white chicken chili, anything with lots of veggies and protein. Stays nice and warm until lunchtime and doesn't leak.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I like to slice up an apple and dip it in PB. I also bring some prosciutto and wrap it around laughing cow cheese wedges. I add a piece of string cheese too. It's a nice, filling lunch.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    make chicken salad with shredded chicken, plain non fat greek yogurt, and load it up with veggies. I usually add onion, celery, and grapes.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with frozen bluberries or strawberries then add granola or nut late.r
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You can pick up a decent thermos pretty cheap if you like soups, chilis, stews...that kind of thing.

Or purchase one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H5V7ZY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

best thing EVER! I keep it right at my desk, plug it in around 10-10:30am, and my lunch is heated up by noon-12:30 :heart:

:laugh: How big is it? I would feel self-conscious w a big crockpot on my desk. And, I don't think that I could sit there for two hours while my food is cooking and smelling so good. :laugh:

Ohhhh..no...it is a "baby" crockpot. It is about 5" high and about 5.5" in diameter...it holds 20 oz max. The cord wraps around the base and tucks into the bottom, so when not in use, you don't have a cord flapping around. It has a cute little handle to carry it back and forth, or you can just take the inner container back and forth (which has its own lid - and you can also buy extra ones so you can be using one and have a second in the dishwasher). You don't really smell the food cooking - the inner container has a lid, and then you screw the outer lid on...do there are two lids between you and the food while it is cooking. :happy:
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Turkey on sprouted grain bread and an apple
  • GettingMooreInShape
    Options
    Oh, and the best part with soups, stews, and chili, you can make BIG batches, freeze in individual containers, then defrost one at a time. You can measure your serving sizes before freezing and it makes tracking calories/portions super easy.
    Microwave or heat up in a pan before work, fill your thermos, and you're good to go! Especially nice with the cold weather coming.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Today I'm eating

Ham and cheese sammich
    Wasabi and Soy Sauce Almonds
    Yoplait Greek Yogurt
    Crack Barrel Cheese Stick
  • wdwmindy
    Options
    I usually grab a GoPicnic meal once a week, Target and my local grocery store sell them. gopicnic.com
    Smuckers low sugar Uncrustable PB&J and some fresh fruit
    Bumblebee tuna salad and crackers kit, again with some fresh fruit
    Low carb tortilla with turkey breast, ranch dressing and romaine and a greek yogurt
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I like to take a pouch of low sodium tuna ( one small pouch is actually one serving and like 60 calories!) some hummus, carrots, crackers, an apple and yogurt. It gets me through!

Happy eating!

I live off of those pouches when I work on the ambo.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sandwich wrap; hummus or pb and veggie sticks, string cheese, boiled eggs

Buy a thermos to bring hot dishes.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches/wraps - I recently started using the roll-ups wraps from Costco, they are so good! Add deli slices of roasted chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and taztziki from Trader Joe's, yum!

I also bring a bunch of stuff to snack on/for breakfast - yogurt, avocado, fruit, veggies, almonds, hard boiled eggs
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I roast a bunch of chicken every weekend and then pull it for salads.

Lately, my go to weekday lunch at work has been a chopped salad with kale, green onion, red cabbage, shredded carrots and cilantro. I throw some of the chicken on top and use my own Thai dressing (recipe below).

Thai dressing (about 6 servings):

2 T peanut butter
    2 T soy sauce
    1 T honey
    1 T minced ginger
    1-2 T honey (to taste)
    1 clove minced garlic
    srichacha to taste
    1/4-1/2 cup water (depending on the thickness you like).

Edit: Sorry! Just realized you aren't into salads. :-/
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches(nut butters and you won't even need a cooler), wraps, yogurt, fruit, hummus with crackers and/or veggies, cheese and crackers, string cheese, nuts/seeds, hardboiled eggs, granola bars, cottage cheese.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    wraps/sandwiches of different variety - veg, turkey, chickpea salad, tuna salad, eggplant, egg salad etc
    cold pasta salads
    i am a weirdo and i prefer soups cold
    hummus and crackers or veggie strips
    cereal and milk with fruit
    cold leftovers (i love those too).
    pb&j
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    One of my Favs!

Dill Cucumber Dip (1/2 cup grated cucumber {salt it, wait 5 minutes, put it in a dish cloth, or hands. and squeeze out all the extra water}, 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, and 2 tbsp. of fresh dill chopped)

4 rice cakes

4 pieces of smoked salmon, or if you like lamb 4 thin slices of lamb left over from last nights dinner!

Smear a little sauce on the rice cakes, place the piece of salmon on top, and enjoy.

I use this Tazatiki Sauce on lots of stuff!