net carbs vs carbs? atkins gone wrong

Options
So i started the atkins diet as of last tuesday, and ive been only allowing myself to nave 20g carbs a day,not net carbs, im assuming it wont of made a big difference? Thanks

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Potentially, huge difference.

What if all those carbs is fiber to provide recommended to the body?

There's 20 carbs your body doesn't actually get to use.

All I can say is, don't do a bunch of cardio, unless really slow and easy. If you are going to follow it, read up on exercise recommendations too and follow that.

Be prepared for great water weight drop as your storage of glucose drops. And that is Lean Body Mass, and that is metabolism, so that instantly lowers too.
  • lauraoneill43
    Options
    I had losg 3lb in the same amount of days but then cheated at the weekend, (slice of bread) so ive stalled.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you're on an Atkins diet you need to just, avoid carbs. Try to continuously do the Atkins diet, eating carbs and then not eating carbs is just playing havoc in my opinion.

That said, Net carbs is not counting the fibre, fibre is good, especially for the poop! On atkins you'll need to make sure you're eating enough fibre else you'll have, not so good poop days!
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You need to join Low carb or Keto forums. I would refrain from posting on the main forums as you'll get a lot of non-friendly responses and lots of big headed opinions regarding low carbs.

As far as counting carbs. You need to count and log net carbs.
  • lauraoneill43
    Options
    Thanks all for responses, not had any toilet issues, and will obv avoid carbs it wasjust a momrnt of weakness.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to eat low carb because I have diabetes. But I don't go TOO low. Low carb does make you lose weight but staying on it for the rest of your life may be difficult at best. Committing yourself to eating 20g of carbs forever is quite a commitment and if you can do it, I applaud you. But I allow myself between 90 and 100g a day on average. Keeps my blood sugar within parameters and you still lose weight. I don't use net carbs counts because that just tends to make me eat more carbs. :)
  • lauraoneill43
    Options
    Ive just found out that in the uk we do count the carbs not net carbs so ihave been doing it correctly :).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Potentially, huge difference.

What if all those carbs is fiber to provide recommended to the body?

There's 20 carbs your body doesn't actually get to use.

All I can say is, don't do a bunch of cardio, unless really slow and easy. If you are going to follow it, read up on exercise recommendations too and follow that.

Be prepared for great water weight drop as your storage of glucose drops. And that is Lean Body Mass, and that is metabolism, so that instantly lowers too.

Losing water weight will not lower your lean body mass, nor slow your metabolism.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Net carbs and carbs is a BIG difference. Net carbs is carbs MINUS fiber and sugar alcohols...although you may just want to avoid sugar alcohols all together (especially induction).

The old Atkins book focused on carbs, not net. The new Atkins book focuses on NET carbs.

Also, you don't eat 20g of carbs forever. This should be during Induction and is NOT the way you lead the rest of your life. I suggest people that claim that to read more on Atkins. Atkins is a LIFESTYLE change if you want it to be successful...JUST LIKE EATING LOW CALORIE.
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ive just found out that in the uk we do count the carbs not net carbs so ihave been doing it correctly :).

Counting carbs is different in various countries?

That's news to me. I have done Atkins, Keto, and VLCD for nearly a year. Ticker shows my loss.

Best of luck to you. Don't kill yourself with your "staying away from carbs" routine.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Counting carbs is different in various countries?

That's news to me.

Correct. Every day is a school day.

UK labels and probably EU in general do not have fibre as a sub-component of carbohydrates. So here in the UK flaxseed should be about 3-5g of carbs whereas in the States it'll be more like 30-35g of carbs per 100g.

We analyse for carbohydrates and report that number along with a separately determined fibre value. In the US the "Carbohydrates" are actually Total - ash - moisture - fats - 6.25*N (protein) so it's done by difference. Fiber is analysed.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I had losg 3lb in the same amount of days but then cheated at the weekend, (slice of bread) so ive stalled.

At 20g per day, it doesn't really matter whether that's net or total carbs.

However, you didn't lose anything, the 3lb is just water that will come right back when you get back on normal food. And one slice of bread wouldn't stall a chipmunk, never mind a human being, so don't worry about that.
  • MelRC117
    Options

At 20g per day, it doesn't really matter whether that's net or total carbs.

However, you didn't lose anything, the 3lb is just water that will come right back when you get back on normal food. And one slice of bread wouldn't stall a chipmunk, never mind a human being, so don't worry about that.
    So I lost 90 pounds of water?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    So I lost 90 pounds of water?

This will no doubt come as a shock, but my comment was a reply to the OP, about the OP's specific situation.

But hey, 2 thumbs up for getting the humblebrag in there!
  • lauraoneill43
    Options
    I lost 6lb not 3, sorry typo. :)
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    I have to eat low carb because I have diabetes. But I don't go TOO low. Low carb does make you lose weight but staying on it for the rest of your life may be difficult at best. Committing yourself to eating 20g of carbs forever is quite a commitment and if you can do it, I applaud you. But I allow myself between 90 and 100g a day on average. Keeps my blood sugar within parameters and you still lose weight. I don't use net carbs counts because that just tends to make me eat more carbs. :)

20 net carbs is only for the first 2 weeks to get your body into ketosis. After that you are supposed to gradually increase your net carb intake until you stop loosing weight. Then go back down 5 -10 net carbs so you slowly loose a bit per week. Then once you are at your goal you increase by 10 net carbs a week until you can stay at your goal.

There are so many people here who know nothing about the Atkins Lifestyle but continue to bash it. Either read the entire book or don't say anything. Also do not just eat low carb and say you are on Atkins because that's not it...

MFP is great for tracking net carbs. fat and protein. I just ignore calories.

As far as sticking to it for life, maybe I have more willpower than you. Maybe I love my kids enough to stay away from candy, pepsi, and other poisons.

I eat bread, pasta, pizza, whatever I want to. I just have to stay within my carb limitations or go low for a few days to lose what I gained.

Remember this lifestyle was developed and perfected by a doctor.
  • MelRC117
    Options
    Because some how your reponse was so much more constructive?

You don't know if her 3 pounds is water weight, but you implied that her weight loss didn't matter. And it does.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    You don't know if her 3 pounds is water weight..

Yes, i do know.

It is physically impossible to loss that much as fat, in that short a period of time, short of using a scalpel. This is a very well understood phenomenon of low-carbing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A single slice of bread stalled your weight loss?

This is not a diet I want to even try.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    A single slice of bread stalled your weight loss?

This is not a diet I want to even try.

:laugh: My thoughts exactly!