Is anyone on a low oxalate diet?

My mother is on a low oxalate diet to prevent kidney stones. She is also type 2 diabetic and hypertensive. Her diet is extremely restrictive. Just wondering if anyone else is also low oxalate, and if they could offer any advice or websites for information?

I have found a few websites with meal plans for her, but any information someone could offer would be helpful.
She does not like eggs or cheese (I know, weird, right!).

Thank you!

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    bumparoo
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    You might want to read this:
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/urology-kidney/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones-oxalate-controlled-diet.aspx

Although many foods contain oxalate, only nine foods are known to increase oxalate in the urine and kidney stone formation. They are: beets, spinach, rhubarb, strawberries, nuts, chocolate, tea, wheat bran, and all dry beans (fresh, canned, or cooked), excluding lima and green beans. It is best to avoid these foods.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    Thank you, I shall pass these websites along. With the holidays coming up, my little sis and I try to make dishes she can enjoy safely.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Your mother's doctor didn't provide any suggestions, reading material or websites? Has your mother considered working with a registered dietitian?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    Her doctor is terrible, but she won't leave him because he doesn't say anything to her about her weight. Aside from physically dragging her to a dietitian, we've done what we can in that aspect.

Yes, she had kidney stones six times last year, and had surgery for it. Her urologist gave her what she can and can't eat, but most of it is higher carb stuff, and she's diabetic. She's getting bored with the diet and is backsliding and eating things she shouldn't. Just looking for ways to jazz up her menu, basically.
  • tmpuser123
    tmpuser123 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm also there. Slowly learning what does have oxalate and what does not