Protein powders - shakes..

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You can't really lose weight and build lean muscle (not sure what other muscle there is). Sure, you can have some noob gains when you start a new workout program, but after that you can lift to maintain muscle mass and eat in a deficit to lose fat.

After your noob gains, you need to eat in a surplus to gain substantial muscle mass. A protein shake is exactly that, a protein supplement that helps the user meet their protein needs for the day, which can help with muscle recovery, repair, and maintenance.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

Optimum nutrition - banana flavor.
    Cellucor - peanut butter marshmellow flavor.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    i like optimum nutrition, they have over a dozen DELICIOUS flavors. my favorite is the mocha cappuccino. mmmmmm

This 110%. Flavor is perfect too.

If you don't like that one, try Syntha-6 by BSN. Deeeeeeeelish.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress - Walmart (16.00) peanut butter chocolate is ok.

I prefer ON Gold Standard - Rocky Road, Banana Cream and Cookies & Cream.

Mix w/ unsweetened almond milk & some ON Fitness Fiber.

NOM :drinker:
  • lwhite0503
    lwhite0503 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My faves:
    Dymatize Elite Whey chocolate fudge
    Body Fortress chocolate peanut butter
    Muscle Pharm Combat Powder chocolate peanut butter
  • srevels85
    srevels85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use Endurox chocolate flavor after my hard running workouts. Love it!
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

ON - Banana is disgusting

Almost all fruit flavored protein is gross
  • joevmware
    joevmware Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is some info regarding Shakeology you can use for your research. :smile:

http://tinyurl.com/mcote3s

Some other info posted for recipes:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/joevmware/view/fall-recipe-ideas-for-shakeology-581740
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to taste! I Like Body Fortress, or Phorm 1. I usually go with the vanilla flavor, because I can always add a different flavor in if I want a little different.

Right now I am using Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey protein- vanilla. ($16.00 for 2 lb. container) vs. Phorm 1 ($40.00 per container)

If I want chocolate. I add 1 tbsp of Hershey's unsweetened cocoa. If I want coffee I added 1 tbsp of Folgers classic roast instant coffee granules.

Here are a few others I like:

Strawberry:

6 whole frozen strawberries
    1 scoop of Body Fortress- vanilla
    1 cup of almond breeze (unsweetened vanilla)

{make it chocolate covered strawberry by adding 1/2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder}

Chocolate Coconut:

1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp. coconut extract
    1 cup of almond breeze

Pumpkin Pie:

1/2 pureed pumpkin
    1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1 cup of Almond breeze

Chocolate Peanut butter cup:

2 tbsp. of PB2 powder
    1/2 tbsp. unsweetened coco powder
    1 cup of Almond Breeze

Blueberry:

1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
    1 cup of Almond Breeze

Orange/ Cranberry:

1/2 cup of Cranberries
    1 tsp. of orange extract
    1 cup of Almond Breeze

Pineapple/ Orange:

1/2 cup of frozen pineapple
    1 tsp. orange extract
    1 cup of Almond Breeze
    {replace the orange extract with 1/4 cup of orange juice if you prefer it, or the orange extract with coconut extract for a Pina Colada flavor}
    ^^^ thanks for this.. they sound yum.. totally going to try them ^^^

Your Welcome: I usually have one for breakfast, and after I workout for muscle recovery (esp. after lifting). These flavors help fight off my sweet tooth too! I mean who doesn't love a mocha frappe in the morning: 1 scoop of Body Fortress- vanilla, 1 tbsp of coffee granules, 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder. I always feel like it's my daily treat!
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use body fortress chocolate. Its has a pretty good flavor. Also, tried optinum nutrition vanilla and hated it.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Here is some info regarding Shakeology you can use for your research. :smile:

http://tinyurl.com/mcote3s

^^ nice "shameless" plug
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    i like optimum nutrition, they have over a dozen DELICIOUS flavors. my favorite is the mocha cappuccino. mmmmmm

Oh mer gosh! Best 5lb bucket I've ever dipped into!. :P

+1! Well, I have the Extreme Milk Chocolate, but still the best so far. I've heard good things about Syntha 6, too, which someone else mentioned.

ETA that I wouldn't look for one specifically for women, unless it has something added that you personally need nutrition-wise.

I just ordered 5lbs. of the extreme milk chocolate. How did you like it? I had 5 lbs of cake batter and got tired of it
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

Truth. I tried ON strawberry and couldn't finish it.

Mixed 1 scoop strawberry with 1 scoop chocolate and it tasted like day old vomit.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 is my favorite. I bought a bunch of one serving samples somewhere and tried a bunch of different brands because I'm pretty picky. Just don't get About Time. That one was just nasty. :(
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

Truth. I tried ON strawberry and couldn't finish it.

Mixed 1 scoop strawberry with 1 scoop chocolate and it tasted like day old vomit.

Yeah the strawberry is blah and so is the vanilla. However those two together taste really good.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Please be aware that there is an emerging trend for protein manufacturers to use ingredients in their blends that add to the protein content statistically but are not biologically valuable in the same sense to your body. For example, a company will put taurine, glycine and creatine in the blend, which counts towards the total protein per serving, but should not be included in your daily counts. It is a way for manufacturers to stay profitable as whey protein becomes more expensive and their margins slim down.

I am not aware of Optimum Nutrition currently using this practice, but keep an eye on your labels for the aforementioned ingredients and be a smart consumer.

Also, Advocare and Shakeology are stupid, please leave the planet forever.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I use/like:

Garden of Life - Raw Fit High Protein for Weight Loss (28 grams of protein per scoop) Vegan

Garden of Life RAW Protein Vanilla (17 gr protein)

Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal, Vanilla (34 gr protein)

I LOVE these products because they are vegan and chocked full of all kinds of organic vitamins & minerals, probiotics and all kinds of good stuff. The non-vegan protein powder I use and love is Almased. I buy the vanilla flavor or plain flavors and mix in the following stuff to make these shakes taste good--with just water and the following other ingredients--WOW...taste like a super yummy shakes and gives me energy like crazy:

Mixed in my Protein Shakes:

1.) Barlean's Women Chocolate mint swirl or Barlean's Pina colada Fish oil
    2.) Trader Joe's Super Red Berry Super Antioxidant Drink powder or Amazing Grass Super Green Food powders
    3.) Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Powder
    4.) Various organic extracts, like coconut, orange, lemon, chocolate extract
    5.) water and ice and my FAVORITE way to mix every called a "Blender Bottle" (my children tease me and call it my "sippy cup")
    this "Blender Bottle" is the bomb and uses a ball shaped wisk that mixes up all the powders and water totally, leaving no grit nor anything other than a nice healthy yummy shake.
  • denniskillz
    denniskillz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Whey protein after a workout is great I usually use ISO-100 Hydrolyzed Whey Protein. Also it tastes like chocolate milk.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the supportive people on this site and for all the recommendations & info. :)

and no thank you to the negative people that felt it necessary to post.