What do you do to prevent the flu...

Options
...besides the flu shot (it's not 100% effective)?

Here are some things you can do:

http://primaldocs.com/opinion/10-immunity-boosting-foods-cold-flu-season/

- I've got 5 of those 10 covered (and will work on more!)

http://www.drfranklipman.com/flu-who-10-immunity-boosters-to-start-right-now/

- and 7 of these 10 (who avoids anti-bacterial soap??!!!!). I do try not to go crazy on the hand sanitizers. I notice my sanitizer-obsessed friends are ALWAYS getting sick. Probably because their immune systems are shot due to over sanitization (not a real word).

Anyway... just some thoughts about things you can do to try to prevent the flu :)

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and don't jump my case because the second link says "sugar is a poison." Is that fear mongering? Yes, probably. Do I have enough sense to know that SOME sugar is not going to kill me. Yes. I hope you do too. Considering the statistics on sugar consumption, I don't think it would hurt any of us to CUT BACK (notice I'm not saying "Don't ever eat sugar again, it will kill you!")
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Wash my hands.

Kick anyone out of the work space that has the flu (at least until they are better)

Keep hand sanitizer at my desk.

Shun those who don't have a flu shot.

Those types of things.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1SX3FVRwwAc8Ud9KePKEQV6apXAD6eMPRTgyJyNh3YHCCcV8pDw

That's what I do.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hazmat suits.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Usually I refrain from licking people during flu season.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Wash my hands!!

That can be a life saver
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot. Wash hands and keep eating the way I eat. I've never had the flu.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • SnicciFit
    Options

when does flu season officially start? So that I know when to stop licking people... :wink:
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

when does flu season officially start? So that I know when to stop licking people... :wink:

About the same time the flu shots come out.. :tongue:
    (oh s#*t, sorry.. I forgot! hahaha)
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Wash my hands.

Kick anyone out of the work space that has the flu (at least until they are better)

Keep hand sanitizer at my desk.

Shun those who don't have a flu shot.

Those types of things.

THIS!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot. Wash hands and keep eating the way I eat. I've never had the flu.

This.
    I make sure I get plenty of vitamin C & D over the winter, stay out of range of coughing/sneezing people and wash, wash, wash my hands. I also try hard not to touch many doorknobs (not always possible) as they carry a lot of germs.
    I have yet to get the flu and hardly get a cold or sniffle.(knock on wood)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

By that time it's too late. They were already infectious before you saw any symptoms.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Anything that isn't 100% effective, I don't bother with.

So I stress out about everything, eat nothing but cotton candy all day, never wash my hands, and get 2 hours sleep per night.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1SX3FVRwwAc8Ud9KePKEQV6apXAD6eMPRTgyJyNh3YHCCcV8pDw

That's what I do.

*giggles* oh dear! :laugh:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    For a long time, I never did anything special. Got the flu maybe once a decade.

Now that my company requires the vaccine as a condition of employment, I get the shot every year. Causes a sore arm with a golf ball sized lump that I can't lift above shoulder height for a day or so, plus a very slight fever. I'm sensitive (but not allergic) to thimoseral so I get the fun excess inflammation but don't get out of taking the vaccine (they always say they offer one thimoseral-free but it's never available when I go).

Really, unless you're immuno-compromised in some way or this year's flu is super nasty, the vaccine is pretty much a waste of time and money. The efficacy is generally poor. There's a reason the CDC has all kinds of disclaimers and no specific info on their site in regards to the flu vaccine's efficacy (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm).
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed... Do normal healthy adults in the US, who are not vulnerable or immuno-compromised in some way, pay to get them done privately?

In the UK there are certain groups of people who get them on the NHS (e.g. the elderly, pregnant women etc) but that's about it.
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/who-should-have-flu-vaccine.aspx

I don't fit any of those groups, so it's genuinely never occurred to me to get one. I have a pretty decent immune system and am harly ever ill.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I'm amazed... Do normal healthy adults in the US, who are not vulnerable or immuno-compromised in some way, pay to get them done privately?

In the UK there are certain groups of people who get them on the NHS (e.g. the elderly, pregnant women etc) but that's about it.
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/who-should-have-flu-vaccine.aspx

I don't fit any of those groups, so it's genuinely never occurred to me to get one. I have a pretty decent immune system and am harly ever ill.

It's literally a propaganda-fueled craze here! Every TV station, radio ad, billboard...etc. screams at you to get the flu shot. It's offered for free for a lot of citizens (for example, it's offered at no cost to me through my workplace) and as mentioned above, it's even mandatory at some workplaces (mostly hospitals...etc).
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    For a long time, I never did anything special. Got the flu maybe once a decade.

Now that my company requires the vaccine as a condition of employment, I get the shot every year. Causes a sore arm with a golf ball sized lump that I can't lift above shoulder height for a day or so, plus a very slight fever. I'm sensitive (but not allergic) to thimoseral so I get the fun excess inflammation but don't get out of taking the vaccine (they always say they offer one thimoseral-free but it's never available when I go).

Really, unless you're immuno-compromised in some way or this year's flu is super nasty, the vaccine is pretty much a waste of time and money. The efficacy is generally poor. There's a reason the CDC has all kinds of disclaimers and no specific info on their site in regards to the flu vaccine's efficacy (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm).

That's crazy! I don't know that I would throw away my job over this, but I do fear that the flu vaccine could end up weakening our immune systems. I'm not against all vaccines. Some actually make sense, this one does not.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I get the flu shot as a requirement of my job (I work in a hospital where our emergency room is the busiest in the state, so LOTS of patients in and out). This year there are 3 strains of it they're vaccinating us against. I wash my hands regularly, but not excessively. I use the hand sanitizer only when I've handled a pager or cell phone from someone on a nursing floor or housekeeping, and I stay hydrated and make sure I get plenty of rest.

I ended up with the flu last year (only 2 strains in the shot), felt like death warmed over for 6 days. I could barely stand without assistance. It was the first time I'd had the flu since I was a kid (I'm 36 now).