What's the deal with soy?

Options
Okay, so what is everyone's opinion on soy? I thought it was a great option (I'm eating vegan) and it's so versatile, but my coworker keeps commenting about the "estrogen in it" and how it's so unsafe to eat.

I know there isn't literally estrogen in soy, but rather something that can act like estrogen (isoflavones), which makes people worried that it can increase the occurence of certain cancers. But from what I've read, soy also has anti-cancer properties (yes, I know I'm being very scientific) and studies have actually shown that women who eat more soy have lower cases of cancer. And I know soy offers a lot of other benefits if eaten in its natural form. Speaking of which, I've heard that soy protein is majorly processed and should be avoided - is that true?

So what's the deal?? And can I tell my coworker to shut up?

Replies

• Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just asked my doctor about it today. She is a vegetarian like me. She said there is nothing wrong with eating soy. She even said TVP isn't bad for you. I eat soy everyday and I don't worry about it. I figure there are worse things I could eat :happy:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Tell your co worker to worry more about the oestrogen in dairy and meat. That's a real worry.

This is a great article busting the soya myths

http://www.safetyofsoya.com/resources/myths.php
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Phytoestrogens can be a beautiful thing, and there is some debate as to how much of it the body can actually utilize. Soy gets a bad rap. How come no one is talking about deadly yams, licorice, ginseng, fennel, flax, pomegranates, or beer? In a diet that offers variation and moderation soy has a place and can be beneficial not only with the micronutients, but being a great protein alternative.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The deal with soy is that it is a good source of (complete) protein.

As far as the estrogen goes, there is probably not much to worry about unless you are eating a staggering amount of soy.

I prefer to get most of my protein from meat/dairy, but to each his/her own.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Tell your co worker to worry more about the oestrogen in dairy and meat. That's a real worry.

This is a great article busting the soya myths

http://www.safetyofsoya.com/resources/myths.php

THIS!
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd tell your coworker she doesn't know what she's talking about. The people that I've come across that have had negative things to say about soy quoted the Weston Price Foundation directly (which is a joke). It's a type of bean, that's all.