Mexican Restaurant Dinner With My Mom- HELP!!!

Options
So im going out to dinner tonight with my mom...she chose Presidente Mexican Restaurant and I KNOWWWW Mexican food is probably the worst food EVERRRR for a dieter. lol

Any suggestions on foods or tips on how i can make it thru this dinner???!!!

Replies

• _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the typical chips/salsa that you get before the meal. Salsa is low calorie--but not the chips!!!!! Your best bet is to have Chicken fajitas. I typically will get them and not use the tortillas.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My mom often puts me in this same dilemma. I usually do a google search on the restaurant + calories (so type in "presidente mexican restaurant calories" and see if you can find a listing of the menu items with their calorie count and plan what you order ahead of time. Also, if everything is really high in calories and they give you big enough portions, then I split it in half and take the other half home for lunch or dinner the next day :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Salad without the taco-shell bowl.
    Fish (grilled) tacos. (Or chicken or meat tacos, but those tend to be served with higher calorie toppings than the fish tacos.)
    Stay away from cheese sauces (a little shredded cheese on something isn't going to kill you, but those melted cheese sauces tend to be a lot more than you realize). Ask for no sour cream, or to have it on the side so you can control.
    Or order what you want, but only eat half of it.

Edited to clarify _grilled_ fish.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If I want to count calories at a Mexican restaurant, I order chicken fajitas, no tortillas. The meat and veggies are pretty filling and under 400 calories without the tortillas, cheese, sour cream, and other condiments.

You can also count out 8-10 chips when they arrive and enjoy that as one serving (about 180 calories). Go nuts on the salsa; it's low calorie, though high in sodium (as will be everything you eat there).
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    No problems... I would say a chicken dish would be good- A tortilla shell if you get a chicken burrito is usually about 200 calories.
    Then the chicken is about 150
    Rice- 200
    Skip the sour cream

Chicken 150
    Shell 200 (1 shell)
    Rice 200 (1 cup)
    _______________________550

OR..... Better option....Have a chicken salad...with some diced guacamole Mexican restaurants always have that on their menu. If your going to do chips that's okay. Maybe have only 10.....and eats lots of salsa there is hardly any calories in that. I would say plan before you go out what you are going to eat- see how it work in your calories for the day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You are not on a diet, right? You're making a lifestyle change. If this is true, have what you want just have it in moderation.

If you want a burrito, have only half and save the rest for another day. If you want chips and salsa, have a few and not half the basket.

You can always order a smaller portion.

Ask if they have nutrition information too. That way you won't have to estimate calories.

Most important...have fun with mom!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are probably one of the healthiest things - just eat all the filling, limit it to one tortilla, and try to minimize the sour cream. enjoy!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    take me with you!
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    fajitas, esp chicken can be a good choice. Have only 1 tortilla, a pinch of cheese, skip the sour cream and pile on the salsa, a tablespoon of quacamole. Stay away from anything deep fried (yes, the chips!, chimichangas,) and anything smothered in melted cheese.
  • mybonnieliesovertheocean
    Options
    Mexican food isn't all that bad actually.

Instead of rice or beans for your side, you can ask for steamed vegetables (I know it sounds weird, but they have them).

Also, if your dish has quacamole, substitute an avacado instead.

i do eat less than a handful of chips, but I LOAD up on the salsa so I get a lot of flavor without as much deep fried guilt.

Take a few sips of water between every bite. This will help to curb your appetite when faced with the delicious food.

Lastly, ask to sub any red or green sauce with salsa instead.

I also would go for shrimp personally. They are lower in cals than chicken, but high in cholesterol so it's your choice, but fish is usually on most menus too (grilled of course).

Good luck and have a great time with your mommy!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on foods or tips on how i can make it thru this dinner???!!!

Small portions.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

Why? As much as I love plain avocado, guacamole is tastier and pretty much the same number of calories. More sodium, yes, but if eating Mexican the sodium in guac is merely a drop in the salt bucket....
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    now i want a chimichanga. great. :)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think butter actually wins for worst. Deep fried, if you're in Iowa.

Otherwise, you can probably look at the menu online and sort through it all before hand. Just remember that drinks, appetizers, and sides can wipe out any low- calorie intent you might have.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My favorite go-to menu item at a Mexican Restaurant is Chicken Soft Tacos (flour shell)...and that allows me to have a few chips/salsa too!

Now I'm craving it....
  • ThirdEyeOpen
    Options
    Thank you all so so much!!!!! all your advice & support is coming with me tonight!! Im definitely going to watch my portions and try to fill up on my water and veggies more than anything else.

Fried foods in staying away from for sure!!

thank you everyone for the continued support!!! you guys all rock!!
  • h_jeffrey
    h_jeffrey Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I'm curious about this advice...what is guacamole, aside from avocado, tomatoes, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, onions...just veggies...maybe some salt and pepper? Certainly the most calorific thing in guacamole is the avocado...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This has worked for me and I go out for Mexican a lot:

Veggie fajitas going light on the sour cream and tortillas
    (of course chicken or beef would work too, I just don't eat those)

Spinach enchilada with red or verde sauce, beans and rice, then I only eat about 1/3 of my beans/rice

Single tostada and beans/rice

Huevos rancheros kids' portion

I don't really like chips & salsa so I just never touch those in a restaurant.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I always get a children's meal, veggie enchiladas, or chicken tacos. :) Eat a few chips and salsa but push them away from you after a few!

Good luck tonight, try to enjoy! Don't stress. If you are really craving something eat half and get a to go box!
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Why? As much as I love plain avocado, guacamole is tastier and pretty much the same number of calories. More sodium, yes, but if eating Mexican the sodium in guac is merely a drop in the salt bucket....

Agreed!