dr said not to eat exercise calories

13»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I find it funny that this is such an issue on here, while I, on the other hand, just ate 265 calories OVER my exercise calories, lol.

LMAO MEEE TOO!!!!

:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Easy solution. Are you losing weight and dropping inches? If so, continue what you are doing. If not, switch things up. Trial and error.

This is true..........but in my situation I had no where to go! I ate my 1200...........lost my weight down to within 15 pounds of 'perfect' and can't go anywhere. Why, because my body is so used to the magical 1200 it is very happy right where it is.

Simple math. If you start at such a high deficit, you will have no where to go when you are at 5-10 pounds.

Not only that, but I was a miserable beyotch when I didn't have enough fuel in my body. Thank God for MFP........
  • arewethereyet
    Ooooh I just remembered this!!! When I started I balked at the 'eat your exercise cals' thought process.

I just went and changed my goal to 1 lbs a week and had 1350 to eat!! Then I exercised about 200 cals a day.

N E Way...........I really need to get back into the groove of things and this thread has my brain going in the right direction

Thanks for starting it and GOOD LUCK!!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    She basically said if I eat more than 1200 cals, regardless of exercise, I will maintain my current weight.

That makes sense if you're about 4' 10", 100 lbs and your exercise is a ten minute walk every other day..
  • arewethereyet
    She basically said if I eat more than 1200 cals, regardless of exercise, I will maintain my current weight.

That makes sense if you're about 4' 10", 100 lbs and your exercise is a ten minute walk every other day..

I remember that it takes approx 15 calories to maintain your weight, so I would be 2070 to maintain (I feel this is HIGH) but ok.....so if you eat 1200 calories a day you would have to be 80 pounds to maintain your weight. Right?

1200 is the MINIMUM>.......kind of like saying the posted speed limit is 65. that doesnt me you HAVE to go 65 mph, that is the fastest you are allowed to go. Using that then the 1200 calories suggestion is the lowest you should go before causing harm to your body.

Again, everyone is different.
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Hmmm...lots to think about...It appears to all come down to doing what works for you. I know that MFP cautions against going under 1200, so as long as I am conscientious (sp?) about at least eating that much, and if I continue to lose, I can chose whether I want to eat my exercise calories or not...what ever works.
  • IMO, it depends on what level of exercise you are doing and the duration of your exercise... I also feel its important to estimate those caloric needs AHEAD OF TIME and eat at least SOME of those calories (if it is 500+ calories you will be burning) so your body will have the fuel it needs to perform at an optimal level. In some cases, you will need to fuel your body WHILE exercising.

I sometimes go on 10 hour hikes in the mountains. I ABSOLUTELY believe i need to eat SOME of the 6000 or so calories it says i burn! Some in advance, and some as i go. Otherwise, i would completely run out of "umph" and would never get to the summit!

When i burn in the 700-900 range, i consume an extra 200-300 calories to be sure i have the fuel i need for energy, but i dont eat ALL of my calories (and have been losing at a good clip now).

Since starting MFP I've become much more aware of my carb/protien ratio: as a semi-vegetarian, i was consistently low on my protein. I try to measure what i eat and to write it down immediately.
This discussion has been closed.