Why are so many people waiting to add lifting?

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    They are afraid of these kind of results.

QwTSF8o.jpg
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I lift weights twice a week in addition to my cardio because I don't want everything to jiggle! I wonder if more people would lift if they knew that lifting weights can help protect your bones and prevent osteoporosis-related fractures?
  • spookyjo
    spookyjo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just a lack of education. Many people still believe you have to do cardio to lose weight.
    Yes, agreed. Plus there is still a very widely held misconception among women that lifting anything heavier than the barbiebells will make them bulky.

^^^^ This is why i never considered it

The lack education and bulk thing.

I'm just about to start lifting and it wasn't until i came here and read, took on board what i read and saw photo's in the support forum that it hit home.

I'll most proberbly have an induction at my new gym next wk and i will have a copy of the SL 5X5 pdf. in my hand.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem like there are a ton of people on MFP who are waiting until they are "almost" to their weight goal before they start lifting weights? I thought the more muscle you have the better you drop the fat? I personally don't care the # on my scale as long as I become leaner, and healthier.
    Am I viewing something wrong?

No you are not viewing it wrong. This is why every individual should go through an initial assessment. While everyone is not a special snowflake, everyone is different. They have different body compositions, goals, experience, likes, dislikes, other obligations in life (job, kids etc.) All these are a factor when trying to figure out what to do with our lives so we can be the healthiest most fit we can be.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was of the mindset that I'd get bulky. Unfortunately, it took me a while to get educated.

If I could do it over again I'd start lifting from the get-go.

Me too!
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Because you Nancy are ahead of the game, diet, calorie deficit, cardio (in a sense that it burns calories creating a larger deficit in calorie expenditure) uncovers your shape by removing bodyfat, but lifting weights sculpts a shape worth uncovering, plus raises the amount of calories burned per day with or without cardio. Good information!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Cardio (in a sense that it burns calories creating a larger deficit in calorie expenditure) uncovers your shape by removing bodyfat, but lifting weights sculpts a shape worth uncovering, plus raises the amount of calories burned per day with or without cardio. Good information!

Cardio = Uncovers!
    Lifting = Sculpts!

Brilliant!
  • amyrob56
    Options
    I am that person who is waiting. For me:

1) get control of eating patterns and come up with an eating plan (I don't cook much) started with lo carb, then no wheat then added high protien and moderate fat

2) start with exercise I like - dance class and walking - stair climbing (real - at work - not machines)

3) lost 30 lbs - cut BP meds in half feeling healthy

4) bought weights and bar - a bit afraid of hurting myself as I have had back, neck and shoulder injuries and I am feeling really good right now

5) signed up for a body pump class at work at lunch start next week. I need the support of someone close by who can help me get the right form and help me learn how to protect myself from injury. Don't want to do the gym thing!

6) I have always had very strong legs and dancing for the last 9 months has me happy with my legs but I need the upper body strength. I am 57 and have a very hard time with anything involving upper body strength. (neck and shoulder injuries are part of that problem,,,)

So I am very happy with the path I took and now I am READY to add the weights - baby steps to a big, healthy future.

And that is all I have to say about that!
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Keen observation...I've lifted from the start (or never gave it up while on a calorie reduced plan). :smile:
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I know I should, but I don't enjoy it ... yet. I run, but I should also work on strength. I am waiting to get more motivated. I want to. I am procrastinating. I really should get started it will insulate me from injuries. :sad: please! I will read about it, maybe that will motivate me. :wink:
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    OP it could be that not everybody wants to do lifting.

I think she was pretty clear about the topic. People that think they need to wait until they are near goal weight to start not people that dont want to at all.

This ^^^^ I am not concerned with those who don't WANT to lift b/c they don't like it, but why so many WAIT to lift?

When my mom was trying to lose weight, I kept telling her to go to the gym and lift weights. She told me she didn't want to lift weights until she was skinnier. She said if she lifted weights while she was overweight, her muscles would make her look even fatter....
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I used to think that if I did any weights I would basically just replace my fat with muscles and stay almost as big as I was lol Obviously, I was not right, but maybe some have that ill conceived thought? Or they are just overwhelmed? Could be about a thousand different reasons...

This is what I hear the most from my friends who are trying to lose weight. They don't want to look big by building muscle under their fat or by replacing fat with muscle.
  • dizzintegrator
    dizzintegrator Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you gain muscle while eating in a deficit? I'm trying to get to my goal weight before beginning to eat in a surplus to attempt to gain muscle.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Can you gain muscle while eating in a deficit? I'm trying to get to my goal weight before beginning to eat in a surplus to attempt to gain muscle.

You can make small gains if you're new to lifting, or are just getting back into it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

It's hard: depends on your gender, genetics, age, training, sleep, diet, etc.

Short answer is: noobs can gain a bit to start with. Doesn't last long. If you stay in a sustained calories deficit for a long time you're going to lose some muscle mass whatever you choose to do. Weight training (the good kind) will minimise this muscle loss (all other factors being equal).

It's easier to try to hold on to the greatest amount possible than it is to lose loads of it and then try to put it back on again at the end. That's the short answer (all other factors being equal).
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I just remembered the main reason I didn't want to get into that...I'm trying to lose weight and was told that I would gain muscle. That would make it hard for me to know if my diet was working.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I just remembered the main reason I didn't want to get into that...I'm trying to lose weight and was told that I would gain muscle. That would make it hard for me to know if my diet was working.

So much wrong with this. :huh: :noway: :angry:
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I haven't because

1) no gym membership (or spare money to get one)
    2) no money or spare room to buy all the proper equipment to do it at home
    3) lack of knowledge on what sorts of lifting to do and proper technique
    4) initially thought cardio was how you lose weight

I've also been under the assumption that the calistethics one can do at home take much longer to get the same effect that lifting at the gym does - but maybe I'm wrong. It's also wayyy easier to get in a cardio work-out at home (and cheaper) than going to a gym to lift, and it seems that you get greater cal burns out of it too?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This thread has actually influenced me to Get out there and lift.

I was originally going to get to my goal weight and then lift. I am going to lift as I go down to my goal weight. It makes more sense because I will be preserving my Lean Body Mass.

Actually Did Squats in a rack today!!
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I thought the more muscle you have the better you drop the fat?
    Sorry. This is just a myth. The amount of calories burned by muscle is not significantly higher.

Not a myth...the reason men have faster overall metabolisms than women, even if they are of similar stature is that men by nature have more muscle mass...muscle mass is an expensive commodity that requires exponentially more calories to maintain.

Yeah. Sorry. But you're wrong. It is a myth.

Like the other poster already pointed out. A pound of muscle mass burns ~6kcal. That is not "exponentially" ;)

Gaining 5kg/10lbs of pure muscle mass would burn an extra 60kcal. That is less than 3% of my BMR. Does that sound "significant" to you? I burn more during 10min of my warm up session.

Why exactly do you think body builders can eat all the foodz if this is such a myth?

Bodybuilders only eat big ammount of food during bulking. And they gain a lot of fat that they have to cut again.
    Plus they exercise every day like crazy.