Bread ends calories

I love the heel ends of bread but noticed that they were noticeably denser than the other slices. Does that mean it has more calories and should I stop eating them? I read a study done in Germany that found antioxidant levels in crust were far higher than in bread with the crusts cut off.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Weigh the bread and calculate the calories per gram.

I am interested in knowing how the crust would contain more nutrients as heat usually destroys them. Link?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    I am interested in knowing how the crust would contain more nutrients as heat usually destroys them. Link?

it just does.

eat your crust, timmy.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    I dunno, but. I think you might be thinking about this a little bit too much.
  • whierd

it just does.

eat your crust, timmy.

I will eat your crust too. :wink:
  • Weigh the bread and calculate the calories per gram.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/11/021105080817.htm

I haven't got a scale though :/ Broke college student living on campus. I'd look really weird lugging a set of scales into the dining commons. I don't mind a few extra calories but if it's going to be the equivalent of 2 slices of bread or something then I don't want to eat them. The bread my school buys is 100% whole wheat and the ends are way denser but are about the same width.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    I dunno, but. I think you might be thinking about this a little bit too much.

Yep.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    In my last loaf of bread, the ends where twice as weighty as the normal slices where (Milton's). That is twice as much bread than what you think you would be getting unless you THOUGHT about it.

Nice work OP.
  • whierd
    Weigh the bread and calculate the calories per gram.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/11/021105080817.htm

I haven't got a scale though :/ Broke college student living on campus. I'd look really weird lugging a set of scales into the dining commons. I don't mind a few extra calories but if it's going to be the equivalent of 2 slices of bread or something then I don't want to eat them. The bread my school buys is 100% whole wheat and the ends are way denser but are about the same width.

Thank you, that was interesting. Too bad they did not link to the actual study. :(
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The difference between an end slice (I love ends, too!) and a normal slice is not going to be enough to make a meaningful difference.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member

it just does.

eat your crust, timmy.

I will eat your crust too. :wink:

you-dont-know-me-like-that.gif
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If she's eating a loaf of bread, two slices at a time, there's no effective difference.

If she's only eating ends off of different loaves, and the per slice values are based on the loaf, and the end slices are each twice the mass of a normal slice, you might be able to get some meaningful differences with calorie-dense bread.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    I weighed the heel from a loaf of bread once out of curiosity, and it weighed almost half of what a one slice serving weighed, but I just log it at the normal serving size.
  • If she's eating a loaf of bread, two slices at a time, there's no effective difference.

If she's only eating ends off of different loaves, and the per slice values are based on the loaf, and the end slices are each twice the mass of a normal slice, you might be able to get some meaningful differences with calorie-dense bread.

I'm getting them from different loaves of bread because the dining commons constantly switch out new loaves as people come in and other kids won't touch the ends. Bread's a bit of an indulgence that I don't eat often so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going way over (having my open-faced sandwich count for 2 slices of bread).
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    In my experience the heels weigh the same as the slices.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    I only eat the edges of milton's and I weigh those and they average about 1.7 slices of bread.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    If you want to be that accurate weigh the bread each time and enter it as 1.2 slices if its 20% heavier.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    The heel I weighed was visually smaller than the other slices, which is why I decided to weigh it. The heel is going to have more calories if it's larger than the regular slices.
  • sugarspice10003
    sugarspice10003 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Lexandreia wrote: »
    I love the heel ends of bread but noticed that they were noticeably denser than the other slices. Does that mean it has more calories and should I stop eating them? I read a study done in Germany that found antioxidant levels in crust were far higher than in bread with the crusts cut off.

I've come across people on forums referencing this study since 2008. No one has read this clearly. The study states "when the bread is broken down" and the surface area is increased and baked then the antioxidant content is increased. In this study they put bread crust and stuffing in the same category therefore they're speaking of smaller pieces of bread rather than the bread-ends (heels) which are clearly of a greater surface area.

With respect to calories- the bread-ends or "heels" have relatively the same amount of calories.