What's Your Favorite Healthy Option When You Are Eating Out?

Options
So lately I have been putting together a "personal menu" that I can carry in my purse of the foods that are the healthiest options for different places we eat out at (like McDonald's, Chick Fil A, Olive Garden, etc...). I've been pleasantly surprised by some things (like how good a grilled snack wrap with no sauce from McDonald's can be!) and absolutely horrified at how bad some of the foods are ~ especially ones that I used to always order.

Have any of you come across healthier options at some of your favorite eating places that you find are just as good, if not better, than the regular high calorie/fat items??

Replies

• dfly22000
    dfly22000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I eat out I go to Subway and get the veggie sub. Or I go to Panera which lists the calories of all their food items on the menu (love that!). McDonald's will kill you unless you get the salad (which is still probably chock full of chemicals) or one of the fruit parfait items.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    In N Out - hamburger protein style (no bun, wrapped in lettuce with onions and tomatoes inside) just mustard. That's about the only place we go as a treat. Most other places have too much sodium.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Try this website for healthy options at many chain restaurants:
    http://healthydiningfinder.com/
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think eating out is one of the hardest parts of this. I always feel like I didn't make the best choice. I even have apps on my phone to help me pick out the lowest cal items. I like how bob evans has their fit from the farm section on the menu and applebees has some under 550 cals meals. I like your idea of keeping a diary of healthier choices then you are sitting there trying to decide under pressure you can already know what your getting before you walk through the door! :happy:
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I like the Chicken Bacon Ranch salad at Wendy's BUT yoou have to make a lot of alterations. Obviously: no crutons, take off the bleu cheese, take off the bacon, make sure it'swith grilled chicken, not fried, and only use one packet of dressing (I like the avocado ranch). All told, it's about 350 calories that way.

At KFC, I get the Honey BBQ sandwich, which is about 310 calories. I used to get it with the side salad, but last time I went, they said they'd discontinued it, so....

At In n' Out Burger (if you have those) I get a protein-style cheeseburger. It's even better if you get hte hamburger, but I gots to have my cheese!

At Taco Bell, their Fresco Menu is full of great options, and I have their pintos and cheese, which adds about 160 cal.

So, obviously, I eat out too much, but hopefully this helps others!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I, like a lot of people here, look up the menu online and see what my options are. Last week my boyfriend's mom took us to Outback to celebrate my bf's birthday. I really couldn't find anything that jumped out at me. My usual options are soup and salad... but those were HUGE calorie bombs! So my #2 option? KIDS menu! Yep.... like how Outback has an "interactive" nutritional menu... pick your entree and choose the sides and recalculate. I ended up getting the "Joey grilled chicken with garlic mashed potatoes." It was like 630 calories and I only ate half the chicken.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Outback actually has a few great things, but my favorite is the outback special 6 oz serloin with green beans (not on the menu you have to ask for em) and mixed veggies and ask for everything to be cooked without butter and salt......my hubby and I eat that and share a carrott cake cause theirs is the best and all tha tis under 600 cals and 500 mg of sodium=)
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I eat a Zaxby's house salad atleast once every other day, sometimes multiple times a day. I get it no toast, no fried onions and no cucumbers with light ranch. My wife gets it no toast, no cheese with light vinagrette. SO good. Subway is also good, because I can load up on tomatos and spinach. I go salad when I don't want/need carbs, Subway when I do.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Firewood has an appetizer I order as a meal that is my favorite - seared ahi tuna I love it! The place is right down the road where I live so we end up going there a lot for convenience so that is extra cool
  • chrisd0201
    chrisd0201 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone here has seen the "Eat this, Not That" series of books, but there is one especially for eating out. I love these books because they tell you the hidden dangers in the food.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    McDonalds southwest chicken (grilled) salad half a packet of southwest dressing 370 cal
  • purpleprose
    Options
    I have a really good friend that lives on Chick-fil-a so we're there all the time - all of their salads EXCEPT the chicken strips one are really flavorful and good for you, especially if you get the lighter dressings. Note, however, that 1 dressing packet is 2 servings (EPIC FAIL). And the diet lemonade tastes just like the real lemonade, IMO.

Panera has a great interactive menu that I use before I leave - I really like the 1/2 french onion soup and 1/2 fuji apple salad option...I doctor it by not eating the cheese in the soup/salad, having an apple as a side, and having a whole wheat bread.

I try to avoid restaurants that don't post nutritional info online because it's too stressful right now.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Subway's kids menu is good. You get a 4 inch sub instead of 6 inch, and can get apples on the side.
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    To Lisamarie1226

I have to admire your success in losing 105 lbs. Would you mind if I could see how you did it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Down here there is a place called McAllister's deli and I always get the Sweet Chipolte Chicken Salad with an unsweet tea. It's around 450 calories incluiding the dressing.
  • AGG115
    AGG115 Posts: 62
    Options
    Wendy's chili is my fast food go-to. $1.09, 130 calories, and it fills me up.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i love the wendy's chili. i pour it on top of a plain baked potato and i have my meal :bigsmile:
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Depending on my calories left for the day, I look it up online and see what I can have. MOST of the time i skip the fries but occasionally I will have a small sized one. I choose anything that is grilled, never mayo or cheese, or a salad with 1/2 the dressing or a fat-free dressing.

Breakfast out is a little easier, you can usually order scrambled eggs with fruit on the side instead of bacon, and with whole wheat toast. It's at least better than french toast!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My fav is Thai garlic pepper chicken, served with rice and steamed vegies. I leave most of the rice on the plate. I will also look for grilled salmon or chicken dishes, or there is always the standby of grilled steak and baked potato (minus the goodies) or salad.