How many calories am I burning??

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    An HRM is going to cause problems as well, unless it's either calibrated properly or until the user achieves a certain level of fitness. It is not the panacea it is made out to be on MFP.

A reasonable estimate, for your situation, would be roughly...

calories burned = 2 * body weight in pounds * hours on the machine

So if you are 150 pounds and go 30 minutes, you're looking at somewhere around 150 calories burned. If you aren't in poor physical shape (i.e., you could actually jog for 30 minutes), then that will be a conservative number.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    An HRM is going to cause problems as well, unless it's either calibrated properly or until the user achieves a certain level of fitness. It is not the panacea it is made out to be on MFP.

A reasonable estimate, for your situation, would be roughly...

calories burned = 2 * body weight in pounds * hours on the machine

So if you are 150 pounds and go 30 minutes, you're looking at somewhere around 150 calories burned. If you aren't in poor physical shape (i.e., you could actually jog for 30 minutes), then that will be a conservative number.

I don't know........ been using my Polar FT60 and have managed to lose a few hundred pounds with it.... Meh.. OP in my opinion I would invest in one and use it for your steady state cardio... If you eat back your exercise calories you will still have to work the percentages until you find what works for you... I have established that I can eat back 85% of those calories burned and still lose or maintain or gain depending on what I am doing.... I use the NEAT method for my weight loss.... Best of Luck
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't know........ been using my Polar FT60 and have managed to lose a few hundred pounds with it.... Meh..

There is a lot more wiggle room when someone is in the "few hundred pounds to lose" camp. The errors are still there, they're just not as important because of the overall caloric context.

The number of HRMers on MFP getting stalled out because of calorie burn overestimates is....huge. Especially for those on machines, as running/cycling out in the wild comes with a well understood calorie burn profile, so there is a "reality backstop".
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't know........ been using my Polar FT60 and have managed to lose a few hundred pounds with it.... Meh..

There is a lot more wiggle room when someone is in the "few hundred pounds to lose" camp. The errors are still there, they're just not as important because of the overall caloric context.

The number of HRMers on MFP getting stalled out because of calorie burn overestimates is....huge. Especially for those on machines, as running/cycling out in the wild comes with a well understood calorie burn profile, so there is a "reality backstop".

So I established a base line over the course of the first 8 weeks when I began this journey back and figured 85% was the number of calories I could eat back from my calories burned per my Polar FT60 along with my base calories to lose on average 2 lbs. a week and that is still the approach I use today after 1 year in maintenance.... I still eat back those same 85% of my calories burned..... then where is this wiggle room I needed.....
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yep. pretty much.