How do or did you know you're done?

Options
2»

Replies

• HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal in April, so I reset my goal on here to maintain my new weight. The first thing I found it hard to do was eat close to the new calories it allowed me after I changed to losing 0 lbs. I think it bumped up like 400 calories and it took me over a month to reach that level. My weight fluctuates about 3-4 lbs daily anyways. Whoever said it is mental is spot on. I weigh every morning before my shower and every night before bed which is sad because everyone should know that the scale is not your true friend while dieting! Obviously I dont practice what I preach in that area. So when you reach your goal you will see if it is truly the goal you want or not. But know that you might reach the weight on the scale but you still might not be happy with your composition. Then you need to maintain your weight but work on paying attention to your daily intakes like carbs and sugars and fats if you dont already! I wasnt happy with my bodyfat percentage when I reached my goal so I changed a few things and got down to where I wanted, now its just maintain maintain maintain. Know that you will have your normal bad scale days, but its not like when you were 20-30-50-100 lbs away from your goal! Now its just 3-4 lbs.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this lately since I'm so close to my goal. Like right now I feel pretty good about where I've gotten. I do have some pooch and thighs I'd like to lose so I think continuing down to 116 is a safe bet. I'm about 5'2" and my goal is based on what I weighed in high school and to make an even 50 lb loss. I'm going to wait until I dead on hit my goal before I make any decisions to go lower. I don't want weight loss to become some kind of obsession that I'll never be done with and I also don't want to lose some of my curves! If bones start poking out then there's a problem. :laugh:
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    well my goal right now is 110lbs but i also have a very small frame and im about 5'3 as i get closer to my goal less than 10 pounds to go!!! I'm thinking maybe 105 might be better. i really dont care what i weigh more how i look so if i do get to 105 and decide i need to gain ten pounds of muscle so be it.

Hmm, we are the same height, build, and probably the same weight, and I'm thinking to adjust my goal of 118 to 115 or 110, now you're saying 105 and it has me thinking. But i am already pretty muscular and I'd have no curves left i think, plus if my ribs stick out anymore I'll hate it. As it is I might have to consider a boob job! See, reading your goal helped me because I now feel more cemented to the idea of 110-118 :flowerforyou:

Zanniew, what a great story! Congratulations on your survival and successful weight loss!

Skinnytime, that's a great answer. In fact I think about the thin quote sometimes. But I guess I like to hear "how did you know he/she was the one?" stories as well :tongue:

Well i think the weight thing is pretty personal. The reason my first goal was/is 110 is because that is what i have always weighed since highschool and before four kids without exercising. I've lost a ton of muscle so im working on getting that and burning this fat that i have (mostly in the middle lol). When i was really active and super fit i was somewhere between 100-105. Like i said im basing my goals on how i feel about my body. I have friends who are my height and weigh alot more and look great. so i guess you'll just know;) Good luck!
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I set my first "I'll be happy" goal at 5'8" was 160. After hitting that, I dropped it to 150, and now I'm working on 145. That would place me right smack in the center of a healthy BMI. I'm not trying to weigh my lightest, or even my weight in college while playing soccer. I am no longer that person. If I can hit 145, I will only focus on the c-section area since it has been the shrinking, but still hanging on for dear life! :angry: I do not agree with the "you'll know" theory...for me...only b/c I've seen friends go too far and I fear I might too. I had to put a number on it so I'll stop. I went to maintain on calories once already and quickly gained two pounds, so the worry is there for me. (that's when I picked 145 for the BMI)

I hope people that have reached their final goals will post how they are maintaining. It seems like most people are very close, but still working to get somewhere. Good luck to all of you!
  • gibbsgirl
    gibbsgirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My first goal was 135 and once I hit that, I put it down to 130. But I decided to change my goal from 2 pounds a week to 1 pound a week and it put me up to 1480 cals a day instead of 1200 cals a day. I decided that I'm pretty happy with my size, but I wanna tone up some, so I am seriously upping my workouts instead of focusing on losing weight now.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I really appreciated hearing what everyone had to say.

I am also 5'ft almost 2 inches. I am 46 years old and the mother to 5. I post these numbers because they all play a part of what I think my goal weight should be.

At my skinniest adult weight I was 102....that was 20 years ago and I stopped menstruating and was unable to conceive again. I focused on gaining some weight and at 112 I was able to conceive our second child.

So, I know that 102 is out! But 112-115 sure seems nice. Here is the rub though...my husband is telling me not to lose too much more. Everyone tells me I look amazing. My mom thinks that there is something wrong...(she sends me articles about people being addicted to exercise, LOL) A friend at church that I haven't seen in a couple of months asked if I was OK. She said that I looked great but wanted to be sure that the weight loss was intentional and not because I had been sick.

So, my current goal is120 even though plenty of people tell me I should be happy at 125. (I am currently between 125-127 depending on the day and time)

I want to feel firmer! Strength Training seems to be the only way to cope with that though.

I am going to keep going for a little while longer.

And to answer your other question....YES, I want a couple of pounds wiggle room....Maybe 120 is my goal and that I never want to be above 125.

Best of luck.

D

PS...for those of us who are "older" it is true that when "skinny" people get sick, they die easier. It is healthy after a certain age to have a little extra. (I have no scientific proof of this, just my experience as a nurse.) Healthy is the key! Not top-model!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Wow, D, you are doing fantastic! Congrats on your weight loss and on looking amazing after 5 kids!!!!

My mother was also the first to get concerned, you can always count on them to look out for you :smile:

I decided to take some progress pics in a bikini and saw a lot of rib, so I decided to focus on maintaining and thinking this week. I have been 117.5-119 for the last few days. 118 was my goal but I'd rather be able to police it (be 115-118 and when I creep over that start cracking the whip). I do have a good amount of muscle and my body fat is low, so I shouldn't care what I weight, but it is nice to be able to give a low weight when asked :laugh:

I suppose we can always regain, but I think that would be tough on my psyche :noway:
  • lew826
    lew826 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I really appreciate everyone's personal experiences. Congratulations to everyone for being so close to their goals!
  • fudJy23
    fudJy23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I started around 168. (just started here). I'm goal is to get down to around 145-150. When I get down there, I'll be paying more attention to my body fat %. My aim for body fat % is around 22%. In my early to mid twenties when I was between 140-145, I was probably at my fittest and lowest body fat % (around 22%) but I don't think 140 is realistic for me anymore so I'm aiming for 145-150, probably closer to the 150 side.

but I'm never done. I know from experience in the past that the minute I stop tracking calories (usually when I hit my goal), I lose control and let myself slip.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    5'4" and my goal weight is 130.
    In college, I was 115-120 and looked really good. I also felt really good, but I'm 7 years older now and that may not be realistic.
    My idea now is to get down to 130 and see what happens. I'm weight training and doing cardio, so I want to see how my body looks and then reassess.
    If I think I could afford to lose more, I'll do it 5 lbs. at a time. I have a friend who is 5'9" and 120 and is cut! She looks really good! But that may not be a healthy or realistic goal for me, so I'll just wait and see.