How do you measure homemade food?

Options
Okay, let's say I make something like red beans and rice, where you cook the red beans and rice together. I can measure out a cup but how do you know how to figure out the calories?

Or if I get something from a cooking website that doesn't bring down the calorie count? For something that's got several component parts, like meatloaf?

Replies

• kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump...been wondering about this too!
  • countrymama08
    Options
    build a recipe. Go to the recipe area from your home page. You can put in all the ingredients as well as the number of servings and you have the calories per serving and you can add it to your diary.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    jinx (same as poster above)
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I do the recipe builder thing too :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What about eating out? Let's say that I have half salmon sandwich on multigrain bread and a small portion of orzo pasta and wild rice salda with peas and cranberries. I know more or less the ingredientes but not all of them. How do I calculate the calories without over estimating or under estimating the numners.
    Thanks!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Homemade - Use Recipe tool to add up everything you put in it and then total and divide by amount you ate
  • iowabelle
    Options
    Oh, that's terribly time-consuming, don't you think? I like to cook from recipes I've found on-line.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's terribly time-consuming, don't you think? I like to cook from recipes I've found on-line.

you only have to do it once and then you can use that entry again, and it doesn't take that long to do.