Net calorie goal

Options
Basically I'm using MFP as more of a guideline than actual rules. And also for the inspiration from others. I'm trying to adopt the habit of eating only when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full and no snacking. I figure this is the best way to change my habits for the better. Most days I burn 500-700 calories in exercise, so I come in way under my goal a lot of the time. Then I see people posting on here all the time about netting close to 1200 a day. I rarely do that! I don't feel like I'm doing harm to my body. Thoughts?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Well when you're malnourished with dry skin and hair falling out, or go on incredible binges, or simply cant sustain this physically and your metabolism slows down so you gain weight when eating what should be a healthy diet....but carry on.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel works best, but coming from a previous chronic yo-yo dieter, I found the best long term results from knowing two things: my BMR and my TDEE.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have made it my own personal goal to NET at least 1200 calories a day.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Malnutrition is cumulative damage. You won't feel it for awhile and even when you do start to feel it, it's easy to brush off. (I'm stressed, I'm tired, I'm working too much, I'm eating too much sugar, etc.) Then it'll hit, you'll be sick and wind up making the road ahead even harder.

It's good that you are looking at the threads and reading. Keep doing that. In the meantime, eat more. You might feel okay now. I guarantee you, you'll feel even better in the long run if you eat.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Eating when you're not hungry just doesn't seem like good practice to me...that's how we gained the weight in the first place right? Today I burned enough calories that I would have to eat over 2000 just to hit 1200. I'm not hungry enough to eat that in healthy food and I can't see eating unhealthy just to reach that goal. Your opinions are appreciated. Perhaps not the smart@$$ unhelpful ones...
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    There have been absolutely no smart *kitten* answers. Not one. There have been several answers, however, that did not say "It's okay to eat below goal, especially if that goal is low to begin with." We are giving you answers, feedback, to which you'd requested.

They are obviously not the answers you wanted to hear. That does not, however, make them smart assed.
  • kayla_who
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention I'm trying to eat as little meat as possible. Vegetarian diet 5 out of 7 days. Just fyi
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    There are many foods that are vegetarian that can boost calories without making you too full. Nuts, peanut butter, cooking with full fat olive oil, etc. You can substitute full fat versions of foods you are already eating rather than diet versions. Lots of members find they need to make the switch to fuller-fat options when they are hitting too low on their goals.

Plus, cheese! Great for boosting cals, being vegetarian, and not feeling too stuffed.
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should eat if you are not hungry. But if you are burning a lot of calories then I don't think you should be afraid to reach for that avacado or tahini. 1400, 1500, 1600 you can explore what feels right.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    add in nuts, nut butters, tofu cooked in olive oil, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs.

make a PB protein smoothie with frozen bananas, berries, protein power, PB and milk

it"ll help you up your calories with out feeling too full:)
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There are many foods that are vegetarian that can boost calories without making you too full. Nuts, peanut butter, cooking with full fat olive oil, etc. You can substitute full fat versions of foods you are already eating rather than diet versions. Lots of members find they need to make the switch to fuller-fat options when they are hitting too low on their goals.

Plus, cheese! Great for boosting cals, being vegetarian, and not feeling too stuffed.

One of my favorite snacks is roasted chickpeas! Take a can of peas, thoroughly rinse, add enough olive oil to coat + seasonings (I love using Old Bay!), and bake until crispy. SO GOOD. Also black bean burritos, hummus, tofu, and lentils are fab if you need an extra punch of protein.

As for what everyone else has said, malnutrition can be a major problem for anyone who doesn't make sure they are getting the nutrients their body needs. If a person eats only junk food they might be malnourished even if they are taking in a lot of excess calories. Likewise, if you eat too little you pose that risk as well. It can be easy to fall into that trap, I have before (my nails became brittle, I started having hair loss, and I was a anemic and exhausted).
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't use hunger and satiety to determine whether or not you truly are eating enough since serum leptin levels decrease under chronic calorie restriction. As leptin decreases, so does appetite resulting in you eating less. This in turn leads to your total energy expenditure decreasing along with weight loss. As long as you keep restricting, this cycle persists. With that said, it's best to try and eat to known energy needs instead of relying on hunger cues.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    People here have given you good advice. Just one more thing: How are you determining how many calories you're burning? A woman would have to work out for literally hours at high intensity to burn 800-1000 calories. It's easy to over estimate how many calories we burn; maybe that's why you're not malnourished yet, too.
  • kayla_who
    Options
    I use the maymywalk app on my phone when I walk. Some days i walk 5.5 miles, others 3.5 depending on time restraints
  • guroprincess
    Options
    I use the maymywalk app on my phone when I walk. Some days i walk 5.5 miles, others 3.5 depending on time restraints

I'm sorry but there's no way you're burning 2000+ calories even walking ~5.5 miles. My advice is to not worry about net and just try to hit at least 1200 a day actual intake.
  • kayla_who
    Options
    I didn't say I was burning 2000 calories. I said 500-700. I meant I would have to eat over 2000 today to make up for the 700+ burned today on top of my goal
  • guroprincess
    Options
    I didn't say I was burning 2000 calories. I said 500-700. I meant I would have to eat over 2000 today to make up for the 700+ burned today on top of my goal

Oh okay I misunderstood, sorry. Although I'm always skeptical about supposed burns. My advice still stands though :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring your burns and what are you doing?
  • kayla_who
    Options
    No worries. Thanks for the advice. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If you're working out, you definitely need to eat more calories than you would if you're not working out. I advise choosing some higher fat foods, such as nuts, legumes, beans, brown rice, to increase those calories so you are eating some of them back.

When it comes to a dietary lifestyle change, less is not necessarily good, especially when you fall too far below your net. Sure, sometimes it's difficult to meet calorie goals, but I believe in eating at least 75% back if you can. Sometimes you can, other times your can't.