naturally skinny, weight gaining tips needed please!

Options
Hi all, i am naturally skinny, by that i mean i have weighed 47 kgs my whole adult life so far.. with the exception of pregnancy. I am wanting to gain 5 kgs.. for those who find it hard to gain, what works for you? and how can i slow my metabolism? am i supposed to eat more protein..or carbs?
I would prefer not to do weight training, as i have a physical job (car painter) 3 kids, and i practise tai chi every other day..any tips would be much appreciated.. and you can add me as a friend if you wish.. thanks!! :)

Replies

• Felras
    Felras Posts: 1
    Options
    I would say start eating at least 200+ over your calorie limit. That is one of the fastest ways to do it. I did that and I gained about 15 lbs. Although, if you are eating to maintain your weight and you find yourself going down in weight I would say that you might have parasites. Recently my cats had worms coming out of place you don't want to see them coming out of. About a month later after treating the cat I am going down in weight when every I eat over my calorie limit and suddenly spike when I eat under. I have been getting abdominal pain so I am near positive I have worms. It is thought that more then half the population have some form of parasite. If you haven't had it checked out for years then it is highly likely that you pick up worms somewhere. I am going to use a wormwood, clove, black walnut mixture.

In the past when I did not have parasites I would eat about 400+ calories after exercise was factored in and that worked. I was gaining about 1 lb a week. Peanut butter and toast is a fast way to get up quick. Once in a while Burger King or McDonalds did me some good. Also, eating a big breakfast like lots of eggs, milk, toast etc really helped boost me up there.

I am not sure about how to slow a metabolism, but I think if you eat big meals instead of small meals with lots of snacks that should slow it down. Since you won't be digesting food during the times you don't eat.
  • Darlasl29
    Options
    The problem with people who are naturally skinny, is they often overlook health checkups. Be sure to have your cholesterol and blood pressure checked regularly.

As for putting on weight, try adding a protein shake daily. You want to gain the right weight not just fat.

Of course I'll send you a cup cake or two...:)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you don't engage in resistance training of sufficient resistance and eat adequate protein during a calorie surplus, nearly all of those 5kg will be fat mass. Would you be happy with increasing fat mass by 5kg?
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My sister in law has a very similar problem. She now weighs 44kg and is 165cm. She eats, but whatever she eats she just burns off.

The doctor is sending her for blood tests but in the mean time I'm trying to help her with her eating. Does anyone know roughly how many calories a person of this weight should be eating if they want to put on weight (fat or muscle). I should mention that she is not prepared to exercise lol.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i am naturally skinny, by that i mean i have weighed 47 kgs my whole adult life so far.. with the exception of pregnancy. I am wanting to gain 5 kgs.. for those who find it hard to gain, what works for you? and how can i slow my metabolism? am i supposed to eat more protein..or carbs?
    I would prefer not to do weight training, as i have a physical job (car painter) 3 kids, and i practise tai chi every other day..any tips would be much appreciated.. and you can add me as a friend if you wish.. thanks!! :)

If you want to gain weight, simply increase your calories over maintenance. Just eat more. That'll do it.

But just increasing calories is going to be a fat gain more than anything else. If you want muscle to be part of this gain, then I am afraid weight training will be your best friend (I know you'd rather not).

The way you slow your metabolism is by losing weight. The less mass you have, the less energy it takes to maintain. But don't worry about that. If you need to gain weight, simply eat more.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Although, if you are eating to maintain your weight and you find yourself going down in weight I would say that you might have parasites.
    You get points for the creepy thought of the day. I highly doubt we've eliminated all the possibilities before worms, though.
    I am not sure about how to slow a metabolism, but I think if you eat big meals instead of small meals with lots of snacks that should slow it down. Since you won't be digesting food during the times you don't eat.
    You won't speed up or slow down your metabolism with big/small meals at certain times or intervals. Metabolic rate is proportional to your weight.
  • nilsya
    nilsya Posts: 2
    Options
    If you don't engage in resistance training of sufficient resistance and eat adequate protein during a calorie surplus, nearly all of those 5kg will be fat mass. Would you be happy with increasing fat mass by 5kg?

I agree with this post.

I'm new here and I know how you feel. I'm 157cm (5'2) and 47kg. At the begining of my journey, I was underweight (45kg) and a gym instructor suggested me to do weight training. And not be afraid of becoming too bulky, since it's impossible because I'm female and not taking any supplements, protein shakes etc.

My goal weight is 50kg, which is such a weight that I haven't been there even once in my life! :)
    Now I gained 2kg, Hoping that some of it is muscle. I prefer gaining it as muscle, rather than just fat...

So I can just suggest you to do weight training, not cardio and eat a lot of healty carbs like nuts, oily fish (ex. salmon), etc...

Good luck!

(Oh, another thing, everybody suggested "Just eat more", which is a rule that just not working for naturally skinny people. Eat more, yes, but "eat more and healthy, eat proteins and do weight training" should be the key.)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more - consistently
    2. Reduce cardio to the lowest level possible
    3. Do some resistance training
    4. Track
    5. Assess results over time
    6. Tweak
    7. Job done
  • webneb
    webneb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would recommend increasing your carb level to about 1.5 times what you need, good carbs not bad, Breads and Pastas will help this alot, Eat lots of protein and exercise, least this way you will gain weight but also be making lean gains and just not fat build ups.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I would recommend increasing your carb level to about 1.5 times what you need, good carbs not bad, Breads and Pastas will help this alot, Eat lots of protein and exercise, least this way you will gain weight but also be making lean gains and just not fat build ups.

yeah, those bad carbs get you every time!!!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I don't understand the question.
  • serenakashmir
    Options
    i tell all my clients, you need to eat more calories (not unhealthy ones) and you need to incorporate muscle building workouts into your days. message me if you want more information
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    1) Eat more (something like TDEE + 10-15%)

2) Non-retarded progressive resistance routine

3) Time + Patience

4) ????

5) Profit.