Breastfeeding - how many kcals as always hungry

Options
Help!

I am constantly hungry! My lo is 6 weeks and solelybreast fed, he is putting on weight nicely but my weight is going up not down, so I have restarted myfitnesspal to tie in with my return to the gym. How many extra kcals should I allow myself when feeding?

Also, any ideas of things to fill me up and aid milk production? I have been filling up on porridge for either breakfast or lunch as I heard oats are good for lactating as well as being filling and slow release energy. Any snacky ideas for between meals? I find I get really hungry about 20 mins after giving lo a big feed.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need roughly an extra 500 cals per day for breast feeding.

if you look it up in the food database (weird i know!) it will add those cals to yuor day.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    500 extra per day. Dont forget to drink more water directly after feeding. That makes a difference with hunger too.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Drink extra water, also red raspberry tea. You can take brewer's yeast in capsule form. It is said to help produce breast milk. You can also find brewer's yeast in beer, if you want to get it that way. This would also help you to relax which is very important when breastfeeding. But, don't drink too much beer !!
  • taradiamond1
    Options
    thanks guys. I have been drinking lots of water and can honestly, my skin is glowing despite a serious lack of sleep!
  • colechartier
    colechartier Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    my son is also 6 weeks (born sept 19th) im exclusively bfing him while also bfing his older brother and pumping to donate to a baby i town....if you go to cardio exercises you'll find bfing in there ....i aim for between 1800-2200 net cals a day....feel free to add me :) ive got 40lbs to go to get to GW :)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    my son is also 6 weeks (born sept 19th) im exclusively bfing him while also bfing his older brother and pumping to donate to a baby i town....if you go to cardio exercises you'll find bfing in there ....i aim for between 1800-2200 net cals a day....feel free to add me :) ive got 40lbs to go to get to GW :)

Way to go !!!! Love to see women doing what they are built to do. I was a LeLache Leader for several years and coordinator for half of the state I live in. So happy to see that moms are still breastfeeding.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

You are seriously awesome! Tandem nursing and donating too? Hardcore momma!
  • DitchThis
    DitchThis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My son is also 6 weeks old and I'm EBF. I'm eating 2100 calories per day. I also eat back my exercise calories in addition to that. I have 25 lbs to lose.

Feel free to add me.