Defined abs with loose skin???

Options
I was wondering from any of you out there that have lost 75+ pounds....is it possible to get a flat stomach if you also have loose skin?

It took me a year to lose this weight(8 months maintaining) and in the beginning I went cardio crazy and lost alot of weight really fast, that and 2 c-sections years ago left me with alot of loose skin. I have been doing ab work 2-3 times a week with a trainer for about 7 months now and although I have great core strength and can see definition....my stomach is never flat and there is no 4 pack, 6 pack whatever....just upper abs defined and lower area not so much.(skin hangs when I do planks and all-sorry TMI) To get to the point I guess I am just asking if there is a point where it would take skin removal surgery to get there and just accept what it is or lose a greater bf% to get the look I want which is really great definition.

Replies

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of stretch marks? Those are evidence that your skin has gone past the point of no return. Most of skin elasticity is genetic. Some women (and men) are blessed with skin that can be stretched to great lengths and snap back (like my friend with 5 kids, including twins -- and a serious 6 pack). Others of us...not so much. I got screwed in the elastic skin lottery. I have areas with stretch marks from puberty (upper arms, inner and outer thighs, boobs), when I weighed all of 115-120#s and was like a current size 2. I like to joke that my lower belly looks like nutsack. :laugh: :grumble: The more I lose, the worse it looks...like a deflated balloon. I'm sure that C-section I had didn't help matters, either.

Yeah, if I were more vain and willing to spend $$ on a mini tummy-tuck I would...and probably have them remove my bat-wings at the same time. At 40 I have no plans to wear a low-front bikini any time soon, so I'd likely never bother. If I were significantly younger I might, though...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Hard to see defined abs with loose skin. Not impossible, but loose skin more than likely will cover up definition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That is what I was worried about. I have a lot of stretch marks because my daughter was 9.5lb baby and I got huge with her and that was the first C-section. I have some definition...just wishing for more and the whole sharpei-dog stomach is so annoying after this much work. It is what it is I guess. Thanks for the answers to this!
  • SugafreeNsweet
    SugafreeNsweet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have actually been to see 3 doctors about this same problem. I have strech marks and loose skin. I have been told over and over again that I will always have loose skin regardless of how fit I get unless I get a tummy tuck. The "good news" is that I probably can get a mini tuck were they don't have to make as big of a scar or stitch my muscles and there's less recovery time. Im still thinking about it. But the rebel in me wants to prove them wrong...lol
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    It can take up to 2 years for skin to settle after weight loss - not sure settle is even the right word, sorry.
    But after weight loss its advised to give skin everything it needs to repair - drink a lot of water, exfoliate and moisturise and collagen supplements might help.
    I'm in a similar situation, I spoke to my gp about it and she gave me some advice re not losing weight and concentrate on toning etc, so I too am working on my abs. She did say that my skin does have elasticity so it'll just take work and time.

Maybe your gp/doctor can advise you, OP?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of stretch marks? Those are evidence that your skin has gone past the point of no return.

You would think that stretch marks can predict loose skin, but they probably don't. Pregnancy-related stretch marks are worse for younger women (according to research) whereas loose skin snaps back better for younger people than older. Also, the rise in cortisol during pregnancy makes stretch marks worse.

After 2 years, any loose skin that remains is probably new skin cells that formed when the skin was stretched. Supplements can't fix that, and ab exercises won't do much to fill in the extra space, since abdominal muscles don't grow very thick in most people.

The good news is you're healthy and strong - which is so much more useful than pretty looking abs. :smile:
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my kid is almost 13...that wrinkly flap I have isn't going anywhere...especially since I'm currently 40#s lighter than I was after I lost the baby-weight (about 80#s smaller than I was when I delivered him) and still have 15 to go. It looks even looser/wrinklier the less I weigh. :sad:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin and visible abs. Just had to wait to get my body fat low enough to see my abs. I can tuck the skin into my pants/swim suit and it looks fine. I even compete in bodybuilding. The longer I am lean the more my skin tightens up.
  • abickford82
    Options
    Tummy tuck is probably your only option. I can say though that lifting heavy has helped tremendously. I had 3 c-sections in less than 3 years, and was about 110lbs. heavier than I am now. I lost 75lbs. the first 4 months after my youngest was born and the doctor said even if I lost a little slower, I'd have a better chance than I do now. Like you lost super fast, so that's why they tell us to do it slow and steady. Sorry :/
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just give it more time, drink a lot of water.. You don't have to necessarily lose more significant weight if you don't wish to, but what is more important, don't gain any.. Your skin will adapt and look a lot more tighter after a few months...