gaining weight

Hi All,

I have been doing TDEE for the last 2 months and Im seem to be gaining weight on the number i have been given and staying the same weight when I eat more.

I have used the Scooby calculator and its says me TDEE should be 1536.
I weigh 9 stone 7, Height 158cm. I put my workouts as 3 times per week I do workout 5 days a week but only for about 45mins - 1 hour so that is why i put it lower.

I have two weeks were I have gone over my cals and had approx 2442 a day, and it's when i have had this amount i have stayed the same.

I'm just so confused how can eating a lot more make me stay the same yet eating less i can weight.

Just needing a bit of help on what to do?

Thanks

Gem

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    How much weight are we talking? How are your measuring calories? And if you are eating 1000 calories over your TDEE for two weeks straight, then you are going to gain weight. So it makes sense.
  • gems32
    gems32 Posts: 11 Member
    I have gained 3 pounds, I use weighing scales and packet information for all my calorie info.

When i'm eating above my TDEE i'm staying the same not gaining weight, it's when i having what is supposed to be my TDEE calories that i am gaining weight. Thats why i am confused.

Hope this makes sense.
  • psuLemon
    I have gained 3 pounds, I use weighing scales and packet information for all my calorie info.

When i'm eating above my TDEE i'm staying the same not gaining weight, it's when i having what is supposed to be my TDEE calories that i am gaining weight. Thats why i am confused.

Hope this makes sense.

3 lbs is hardly enough to get an understanding if you are exceeding TDEE. But if your calorie goal is 1600 calories than your TDEE is around 2000 calories. So eating 2400 calories for 2 weeks would account for 1.75 lbs of new fat. But realistically, you need to eat at 1600 calories for a month before we can evaluate what the issue is.

Can you open your diary?
  • gems32
    I think i might have confused things :blushing:

If i eat at TDEE which is 1536 i'm gaining weight, If i eat at 2442 I am not gaining weight but staying the same weight - so the less i eat i'm gaining.

So i need to work out what i need to eat to lose weight i.e. should i be looking in the middle which would be 1900?

Thanks
    Gem
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

If i eat at TDEE which is 1536 i'm gaining weight, If i eat at 2442 I am not gaining weight but staying the same weight - so the less i eat i'm gaining.

So i need to work out what i need to eat to lose weight i.e. should i be looking in the middle which would be 1900?

Thanks
    Gem

how long did you eat 1536 for to gain weight?
  • gems32
    i have been eating that amount for 4 weeks to gain the weight
  • gems32
    Bump
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

Hope this makes sense.

It sounds to me you might be eating more than you think you are on the "under TDEE" days. Otherwise, you would not gain weight, unless you are eating more sodium and retaining water. Mist people's weight fluctuates by a few pounds anyway.

Maybe the scale is the real problem-your depending on it too much.
  • gems32
    Thanks for that. It's just so annoying when I see myself eating over the tdee and staying the same but it eat what I should a gain
  • psuLemon

Thanks
    Gem

if you dont gain at 2400 than that is probably your real tdee but its hard to say based on 2 weeks worth of data. Water retention is probably why you gained weight at 1500. Btw what is your height weight and workout routine?
  • gems32
    Hi, I weigh 9 stone 7, height is 158cm and I'm 27. I work out approx 5days a week for about 45min to 1 hour. 3 of the days I do heavy lifting with 20 min of cardio and the other 2 days i do pure cardio I.e. swimming

Thanks gem
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I don't think you're getting how it works. It's impossible to know that you're 'not gaining at 2400'. You'd have to eat the same amount of calories for a couple weeks to know for sure. The number on the scale from day to day doesn't mean anything, it's often just water weight.

As long as you're weighing all your food to know you're eating what you say you're eating, and don't overestimate your exercise (if you're using TDEE-20%, I'm guessing you're using the moderate setting, which could be a bit too much depending on what you do when you don't work out), you will lose weight. You might just have hit a stall.
  • psuLemon
    Hi, I weigh 9 stone 7, height is 158cm and I'm 27. I work out approx 5days a week for about 45min to 1 hour. 3 of the days I do heavy lifting with 20 min of cardio and the other 2 days i do pure cardio I.e. swimming

Thanks gem

Based on this, I would think your real TDEE would be around 2100 calories which then i would suggest eating 1700 calories daily (macro's around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats). It's hard to really tell because eating 2400 for two weeks isn't much to allow for adjustments. Why don't you try eating 1700 for 4 weeks (making sure you weigh all foods and are meticulous with your logging) and report back after a month with results and we can adjust from there.
  • gems32
    Thank you very much for your help and your time. I will give it a try at 1700 and see what happens

Thanks
    Gem