Quick healthy meals for evenings after the gym

Options
kardeebee
kardeebee Posts: 16 Member
Hi, Looking for some healthy preferably low calorie meals for having after the gym. Something that could be heating in the crockpot (not necessarily prepared in it though) while I'm at the gym would be ideal. Thanks.......

Replies

• KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I make a veggie beef soup that is yummy and reheats well.

1# 90/10 ground sirloin
    Large onion, chopped
    Garlic
    3 cans of diced tomatoes, blended in food processor or blender
    1 box low sodium chicken broth
    1 large bag of frozen veggies (i like the green bean, carrot, corn, pea mix - no potatoes)

Saute the onion in a little bit of olive oil until soft, salt as preferred
    Add ground sirloin and garlic - break up and cook through, salt and pepper as preferred
    Add pureed tomatoes, broth and veggies, simmer

this soup is tasty after only simmering for a short time and gets better as it cooks. You could assemble and then reheat in crock pot. I eat a cup to a cup and a half and it is very filling.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I usually make a pot of some kind of stew or chili on Sundays to eat throughout the week when time is tight. Here is my standby Turkey Chili...

2 lb. lean ground turkey (I don't do beans, but if you do - I can beans, 1 lb meat)
    1 med. yellow onion
    2 cloves chopped garlic
    3 sliced carrots ( I actually use a bag of baby carrots but it all depends on if you really like carrots that much)
    1 small bag/box of frozen corn
    1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
    1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons Chili Powder
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. Red Pepper flakes
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Makes about 8 servings at 250c and 25 grams of protein per serving.

Chop the onion and use half of it to brown the turkey. Once you've browned it and drained it throw the other half of the onion and everything else (except the corn) in a big ole stew pot and stir it up. If you want to throw it all in a crockpot - even better - cook it covered on low for about 4 hours. You can throw the corn in for the last hour. On the stove you can cook it on medium and have it done in about an hour or you can simmer it for as long as you want.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I often bake up a batch of proteins for the week, boneless skinless chicken breasts or lean boneless pork chops. Makes it very quick to heat up afterward with a veggie on the side.

This. I keep frozen grilled chicken breasts and frozen veggies in the freezer all the time. 200 calorie meal with a ton of proteins right there.