I'm in limbo - between plus and regular clothes

Options
Hey everyone. Does anyone else notice that there seems to be a gap between the smallest size in plus sized clothing and the biggest size in regular clothing (women's clothes)?

I am at a point in my journey where the smallest plus sizes are getting too big but when I try on the largest sized clothes in a 'regular' store, I find most of them to still be very tight. I notice this mostly with shirts. Some of the shirts in the regular store fit but it seems to be the ones that are made to be really loose fitting and those barely fit me.

I'm happy I'm almost out of the plus sizes but it's frustrating because of the extra time and effort it takes just to find an outfit that fits well and looks good. Anyone else in "limbo" between plus and regular clothing?

Sherri

Replies

• 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I put this topic under the right category or not. Bump
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet - I'm a solid 1X and probably will be for a while... I've noticed that as I am losing weight I don't drop sizes as quickly as I thought I would. There tends to be about a 25-30# difference between "plus" sizes, maybe less in the "regular" sizes? I But I know what you mean - I've tried on some XL's and they are not just a little bit tight like you'd think for the next size down, but I can't even get them on. I suspect that it's more than just the number on the scale but body shape/composition? I'm thinking that lifting & toning will get me into the smaller sizes I'm looking for in the long run.

Keep at it - best of luck reaching your goals!
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, not so much for me but for one of my best friends who is between sizes right now (she's lost 75 lbs! Woot!). She was telling me she was fitting into a size 14, and I was like, huh? She's way bigger than me when I was in a 14. Then I realized she was talking about a 14W and I was talking about a regular 14. There does seem to be a giant gap.

We frequently shop for clothing together, and we used to have to have "her" shopping days where we would go to all the plus size stores (the Lane Bryants of the world seem nowhere near the malls where we are!), and "my" shopping days where we would go to the regular stores. Unless we were doing department stores, then we'd be shuttling between the women's and regular/missy areas (annoyingly often at completely different parts of the store). Now she's shopping in regular, but we have to look for the looser XL's.

Anyway, SOME regular sizes go up to a 16 or 18, but they are hard to find. It seems like an 18 regular is more like a 14W, but even then, the proportions are slightly off. Frustrating! I've got no great suggestions, sorry. But I do notice the big discrepancy in sizing.
  • Pidgeywendy
    Pidgeywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Which country are you in?

Here in the UK, I wear a UK16 in the 'fat girl shops' such as Evans and Ann Harvey. However, in the regular shops I am a UK18....but not all right across the board!

I really don't think very many people, whatever their size, can claim they are the same clothing size (top and bottom) in every single shop. To make my point I am a:

UK16 - Evans
    UK18 - Marks & Spencers & Next
    UK20/22 - Boden & Ralph Lauren

It just depends where you shop! Don't lose heart - your weight loss is amazing....keep going girl :bigsmile:
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I've been in that weird gap of sizes for a couple months now. Thankfully I'm shrinking a bit more so I can actually have an easier time shopping.
    I just donated all my plus sized clothes. There was a lot new that I hadn't worn but happy to see a bare closet.
    Keeping a couple pieces to remind myself where I came from.

21525558.png
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    Totally there. I am living in size 14 baby doll dresses and leggings :-/
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ugh limbo size sucks
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing an XL sweater today I bought last night at Younkers in the regular ladies department, not plus size or juniors, just regular womens/misses. A few weeks ago I was buying a 1X sweater in the Plus Sizes area of an outlet mall store. I think it depends entirely on the store and the brand. I think for me it helps that everything I buy has some stretch to it. Until I can get the excess skin removed, everything has to be able to stretch or it's way too big in the body and way too tight in the upper arms and thighs if it fits at all.

What I find frustrating is that the jeans I have are too big and a size 22. The dress pants I just bought at CJ Banks are an 18. Do you think I can find size 18 jeans that fit? Nope! Not even where I bought the dress pants. And if I can't go down a full 2 sizes, I won't replace them. So I added a belt and just keep hiking them up when I stand up. PS - the store I bought the jeans at is gone, out of business.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options

^^^^This. Thankfully there are a lot of cute leggings out right now!!!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Totally with you on this one!! I refuse to buy clothes that are huge on me so I have just worn the same thing over and over again. It is totally frustrating!!
  • 4ever420
    Options

Yes! Leggings are the one thing I can count on. I can even buy them in both regular and plus stores. :smile:
  • 4ever420
    Options
    Yes, not so much for me but for one of my best friends who is between sizes right now (she's lost 75 lbs! Woot!). She was telling me she was fitting into a size 14, and I was like, huh? She's way bigger than me when I was in a 14. Then I realized she was talking about a 14W and I was talking about a regular 14. There does seem to be a giant gap.

We frequently shop for clothing together, and we used to have to have "her" shopping days where we would go to all the plus size stores (the Lane Bryants of the world seem nowhere near the malls where we are!), and "my" shopping days where we would go to the regular stores. Unless we were doing department stores, then we'd be shuttling between the women's and regular/missy areas (annoyingly often at completely different parts of the store). Now she's shopping in regular, but we have to look for the looser XL's.

Anyway, SOME regular sizes go up to a 16 or 18, but they are hard to find. It seems like an 18 regular is more like a 14W, but even then, the proportions are slightly off. Frustrating! I've got no great suggestions, sorry. But I do notice the big discrepancy in sizing.

I have indeed noticed that 14W and 14 are COMPLETELY different sizes. Felt super good when I put on 14W and then tried on 14 and was like WTF! :frown:
  • kfelton1226
    kfelton1226 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even sure which section to go in after the W sizes... I had to Google and even that didn't help a whole lot. I just had to wander around and try stuff on (yuck). I haven't done much with tops yet, but pants are a challenge. I have a lot of skirts right now just because they are easier to keep for a longer weight range. I look like such a girly girl :)
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am thankful that I shrunk out of this problem, but I was there for a while. I also had the problem more on the top then the bottom. My solution was to wear chic belts over longer tops, or cardigans or light jackets over the tighter tops. Twin sweater sets were my best friend during this time!

Also, try different styles - not just smaller sizes of the styles your normally wear. This was my major breakthrough; I found different styles that looked good on my new body shape. I brought a friend shopping and she refused to let me try anything on that was in the same style that I have worn for years. I had to get out of my comfort zone to find clothes that fit me properly. It is a good problem to have!
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have lived in this limbo practically my whole adult life, and I'm ready for it to end! Nothing at Lane Bryant or the plus stores really fits well (especially since plus brands have this weird idea that plus size women are much shorter than the general population), but I wear an 18 in misses, which most stores don't carry or only sell online.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup! While my lower half now fits into "normal" sizes, I'm still somewhere between L and XL for tops, jackets, etc and it's horribly frustrating. The Ls are just a tiny bit too snug and the XLs are just a little too large, enough so that they look frumpy. A lot of the fit depends on the way the clothes are cut though so there are some things fit just fine. The most frustrating part is taking about 20 items into the fitting room and maybe coming out with 1 thing that fits, if I'm lucky.

This is actually why I prefer to shop at consignment and thrift shops. There is a bigger variety of choices than most department stores so it's more likely that I'll find something that works. Plus I'm not spending a ton of cash on a piece of clothing that will hopefully be too big for me by next year.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing an XL sweater today I bought last night at Younkers in the regular ladies department, not plus size or juniors, just regular womens/misses. A few weeks ago I was buying a 1X sweater in the Plus Sizes area of an outlet mall store. I think it depends entirely on the store and the brand. I think for me it helps that everything I buy has some stretch to it. Until I can get the excess skin removed, everything has to be able to stretch or it's way too big in the body and way too tight in the upper arms and thighs if it fits at all.

What I find frustrating is that the jeans I have are too big and a size 22. The dress pants I just bought at CJ Banks are an 18. Do you think I can find size 18 jeans that fit? Nope! Not even where I bought the dress pants. And if I can't go down a full 2 sizes, I won't replace them. So I added a belt and just keep hiking them up when I stand up. PS - the store I bought the jeans at is gone, out of business.

Pant/jean shopping is the worst!

With regular pants (slacks, corduroys, & elastic) I can fit into size 10 or 12. Jeans are still anywhere from a 12-14. I bought a pair of Nine West cigarette jeans a few weeks ago in a 14 that were a little tight. I had the same pair in a size 20 & could still wear the same jeans when I was in a 16 in other jeans/pants.

Don't even get me started on designer jeans. I bought a pair of Paige Denim in a 32" waist & they're still a bit snug.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Actually even though I'm still solidly in plus sizes (1X top, 16 & 18 pants, 14 & 16 dresses) I have felt this "pain" a little bit already.
    ESPECIALLY at Target. Somehow every 1X in their plus section is enormous on me and half the XXL in the regular section are still hilariously tiny. Some of it fits, XXL or even XL, but I am not happy with Target at the moment.

Luckily other stores I have not had any issues. I basically can't shop at Lane Bryant now, though. I find their sizing really big. It is no wonder I wore a 22 there at 307 lb (instead of 26 or so) because of the way their clothing is cut.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Where do you ladies find cute inexpensive (ish) leggings?
    I have a huge collection of 1X leggings but they are saggy and baggy right now...need replacing!
  • Bvaccarini
    Bvaccarini Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been living my life in limbo. In fact I started a whole blog about it. It's crazy to see the difference in size, shape and silhouette for plus size and standard sizes. I have started to branch out my blog to include fitness on fridays since I realized my health has been..not what it should be for someone my age.

I do all sorts of things such as tips and tricks, fashion posts, in between rants, style event coverage and health and wellness.

I recently put together a list of places that make finding clothes for us stuck in limbo: http://wp.me/p1Bksd-157