Second Chances...Fell off the wagon

Options
Hello, MFP I am back. A few days ago I deleted my old account that I had just hit the 300 day login on. I originally joined this past February, and lost 30 lbs. Then in June, I went through several hugely emotional set backs (one being the death of my mother who I was extremely close to), and fell off the wagon after all those months of hard work. I was unemployed at the time, and was spending about 3 hours a day at the gym. I have gained back about 10 lbs since June, and my circumstances have changed as I no longer have access to a gym or any equipment. While I did utilize MFP the first time, I didn't use all the tools available to me (groups, etc), and did not interact with as many people as I could have. But I know I am not alone!
I am looking for supportive friends who are going through the similar experience (having fell of the wagon), or fell off and got back on and were successful!
I suffer from depression, and working out is a miracle cure for my symptoms, for me anyway, but I do not have access to a gym right now, and I really need help and idea's on how I can start up again without a gym! I love Jillian Michaels and own several of her DVD's and a pair of dumbells. Can anyone help keep me??? I am open to suggestions, and this time, I am starting out with smaller more obtainable goals.
If anyone read's this who lives in the Des Moines IA area, please friend me if you would like a workout partner! *(Females only please)

WhOhOO Let's Do This!!!

Replies

• JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hey Kari!

I fell off the wagon too the first time I got on MFP. I'm now doing better then I ever have with no intention of quitting or falling back on old habits. I'm so happy and surprised that I'm more than halfway to my goal weight. You CAN and WILL do it this time if you really want it. The gym has helped me tremendously because I just do better actually having to go somewhere to work out. But you definitely don't need it. Just really focus on your food and try to exercise a few times per week doing something you enjoy. Also what has helped me a lot has been just increasing daily activity. Park further from stores and walk, take the stairs etc...

Feel free to add me if you'd like. My name is Jeanine. :)
  • garn3232
    Options
    I am right there with you. "It’s not how many times you fall down, it’s how many times you get back up."
    Unknown
  • KariBear7
    KariBear7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Thanks so much! Any more out there???
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    I am normally a runner, but recently quit the gym, broke my treadmill and now it is cold outside. Since I hate the cold, decided to take a little break from running and try out the stack of Jillian DVD I bought at a used sale a while ago. I have been doing between 20-70 minutes of Jillian since Oct 2 and have lost more than 6" over my body.
    So, no - you don't need a gym! Feel free to friend me. I am still getting used to the "inches are better than pounds" thing, but I am making peace with it slowly.

Good Luck!
  • KariBear7
    Options
    Ahhh Yes, I love Jillian. Since I have not worked out AT ALL since June, I cant exactly plunge into the DVD's that I have right off that bat. Lucky for me, I when I quit working out, I went onto maintenance, so that helped me, I think. But the inches I had lost, I have gained back. :( Inches were not something I kept track of the first time...I will this time though! I am also a fan of The BIggest Loser. Is anyone watching the new season?!
  • suzismurf75
    suzismurf75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you on falling off the wagon. I lost 90lbs back in 2001-02...gained about half of it back and then lost 35lbs again in 2007. Emotional eating was my downfall and exercise DEFINITELY helps with that. When I spend an hour walking or running or something, the ice cream looks less appealing, because I know how hard I worked to burn those calories.

I would recommend using the exercise videos you have and maybe shaking up the routine every week or every other week. Also, your local library will probably have exercise DVDs you can check out.

Another good thing, is to find a church or other community group that holds Zumba or other aerobic classes. It's a great way to burn calories, have accountability partners, AND costs less than a gym membership (Sometimes it's even FREE)
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!... I'm sorry about your loss, but I'm glad you're back and determined. I know you'll be able to find a ton of awesome people =]

Feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I fell into a funk at the start of the summer after my cousin was killed in an accident - stopped logging thoroughly, plateaued, and lost my exercise habit.

I'm also a Jillian fan - on Day 3 of Ri30.

Expect a friend invite. :)
  • KariBear7
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am super excited about it this time...so many new and exciting people I can bug! Yay!
  • JaneGS93
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I have a bad habit of falling off often >.> I gained back about 15 lbs of the 50 I originally lost! It was very upsetting. I didn't even think to weight myself until awhile ago and the number of pounds I have as lost on my page is probably a lie...It's not that I eat badly, I just have a hard time getting myself to exercise. There is only one thing I really like to do and that is walking outside, but as winter comes its easier and easier to push it off until another day. I would go to the gym but staring at a wall just bothers me...I don't have any friends that could go with me either, mostly because they can't afford a gym pass or don't have the open time that I do.

Another thing, is that I'm going to culinary school, studying pastries to be specific. I'm dooming myself right there! So much to eat! I try not to but sometimes you really need to test taste something, and I take night classes so when my body wants dinner, all that is around is sweets! Anyway, I'm ranting so pardon me haha! Basically, I definitely can relate and I would just like to mention some things I've done at home when I I just couldn't stand the stone wall at the gym anymore.

I used the stairs in my house, going up and down them until I barely couldn't breath, if you feel winded after just once, try ten times, Woo! Also, I just recently bought a jump rope to spice up my cardio options so I'm not stomping to loudly in the house or having to put off a work out because of weather! Another thing, is to check out Pinterest, if you know what that is. that place has tones of home workout ideas and such and even links to watchable videos online. So if you have space in front of the computer, you can totally check that out!

Sadly, I'm in MO, so can't be a workout buddy, but I'd love to at least keep in touch! Support of any kind is better than none right?
  • Txsteach
    Txsteach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon too and have since gone through a painful divorce...but things are looking up! Personally I prefer walking or jogging outdoors...it lifts my spirits...feel free to look at my profile & friend me if you want...
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon when I had a difficult break-up. Feel free to add me. I work out at a gym, but have started to do my own 'boot camps' at home and would be happy to share my ideas for how to make at-home fitness work.
  • SlimToBeSara
    Options
    Hi :) I too deleted my account recently, was MissVamp13. I felt so down and unmotivated I just quit. But I woke up this morning thinking to myself "If i keep doing this Ill never get anything done and will just be a quitter" So I too am back and ready to make this my FINAL journey. Feel free to add me as I intend on logging daily x
  • VanDykeWolfe
    VanDykeWolfe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. One day I am doing great and then..bam...the next thing I know I have gained back ten pounds and it has been a month since I used MFP. For me it was dealing with a loved ones drug problem that set me back to eating as an emotional coping method. It is my go-to source of comfort and pleasure, even though ultimately I know that I will feel worse in the end. When I can't go to the gym I will make myself walk or jog to do things where I would normally drive. I also have a dog, which helps motivate me to get out of the house. You can do this! Just start small, add in some extra movement each day, and don't beat yourself up for falling off the wagon. TODAY you are here and back on the wagon.
  • sxynanaplay
    sxynanaplay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Kari!

I am here with you, I have fell off the wagon for a few months and have been on my healthy road for 10 days and I feel like I am not going back! I have a goal and I want to reach it. Working out can help from depression, I am not sure if you are diagnosed with it and are on medication but just feeling blue can be fought off with working out, eating right and feeling good about yourself. It seems that you have access to the internet, so youtube is FULL OF WORKOUTS for free!! I think Julian Michael workouts are on there too, full videos. try that if you haven't, also search around at community centers or facebook, there are tons of groups that do Zumba for free, which is also fun! I will add you. :-)

Good luck girl, we are right here with you!
  • KariBear7
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing all the stuff you guys have been through. I was diagnosed with depression in 2009 but I didn't accept it until recently. I never wanted to be "that person". There's such a stigma surrounding people with any sort of mental imbalances, that it's easier to stay hidden and pretend to be normal then it is to put yourself out there. My doctor and I had decided that the best way for me to treat it was naturally, with diet and exercise, and it was working awesome, until I stopped working out. The only time in my whole life that I have felt so amazing was those four months I was at the gym 4-5 days a week, 3 hours a day. I absolutely loved it. I love weights, and I had gotten into kickboxing. Then everything fell apart, and so did I. I continued to log my diary, and switched over maitanence, so I could be sure to not undo everything I had done. Thankfully I only undid about 10 lbs, so I could be a lot worse. But, I decided it would be better for me to start over new, and all of you are making it worth it! Thank you! XOXO
  • julistehr
    julistehr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I fell off too! Ready to get back on track though! I just started doing T25 at home. Kinda pricey, but really great workouts. Only on day 2 so we will see. Always looking for more motivation:)
  • cicibeanz
    cicibeanz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I am fairly new to MPF- I started in early July of this year and had been doing fairly well. Nothing crazy but I was getting more active and has lost about 12 lbs. by the end of August. I thought that when I came back to school (I was home for the summer break) that I would do even better since I have access to an affordable gym here and generally expected to be less stressed out living alone in my apartment than sharing space with my mom and sister...

Anyway, that clearly hasn't happened. I don't know what has gone wrong but I have been downright binging more days than not for the last month and a half, and I have gained back nearly everything I'd lost. I wake up every day feeling sick to my stomach (literally and figuratively) and completely discouraged, swearing that I'm gonna knock it off and do better that day...but it's not happening. I am hoping that by posting here and holding myself accountable to all of you, I can slowly but surely get back on the right track.

I'm just so angry with myself for having wasted all of that effort. I track my weight on a spreadsheet that is slowly going backwards. Once again my smaller jeans don't fit. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble...
  • Nursemomoftwo
    Nursemomoftwo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have also fell off the wagon many many times. This time I really am going to do it and have started to use many more of the tools on MFP.
    My whole family has been overweight, My mother is looking at having the weight loss surgery and I don't want to get that way. 85 lbs seems like such a long ways away but I have to get it done to enjoy and spend more time with my kids and husband. I recently lost a friend at 32 years old to heart condition. I don't want that either.
    I wish you the best of luck and best of luck to all out there in the same boat or wagon.