Time for exercise

Options
jenready
jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
I am looking for suggestions on fitting exercise into my daily activities. My problem is I work a lot and by the end of the day I am exhausted and ready to relax. I leave for work at 7:45 in the morning and I don't get home from work until about 8:45 or 9:00 at night. By 9 I am ready to eat dinner and sit for a little bit before I go to bed. I have tried to exercise when I get home for an hour and that leaves me eating dinner after 10 at night and then heading off to bed. I am thinking that I need to try and get in about two hours of exercise a day and I just don't know how to do it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• maleamae
    Options
    how much time do u get for a lunch break to the gym and run 10mph for 20 min . u will lose alot
  • Crystaldn
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts usually 7-7 . I use to eat supper when i came home from work.. Since i started exercising i switched and ate my meals at work.. Soon as i get home I put on my sneakers and start working out, usually within 5 min I get a spurt of energy and feel alot better... Hope that helps
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You have to get some sort of breaks right? So, go walking on your breaks. Do everything at work with Purpose. For example, if you bend over alot, try to do a squat instead each time you go to pick up something.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have started taking walks on my lunch breaks. I get a hour, so I grab a quick bite to eat and then head out the door. There is a really pretty cemetery with a path through it down the block. It's not my ideal walking place, but it works. You don't have to work out two consecutive hours. As long as you get moving that's what counts! Squeeze in ten or twenty minutes here and there. I also have very small snacks on my ten minute breaks, or even stashed away in my desk. I stay under my calories, but spread them out so when I get home I don't head like a starving zombie for the kitchen! I can work out, then eat something small before my relax time!

Hope that helps, even though your working situation is probably different from mine! :)
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    :drinker: I know this sounds crazy but you already have a schedule that is insane anyway. What about trying to fit in a morning brisk walk or fit class. Two hours is a lot of time and pressure but putting time in before work gets it out of the way and sets you up for a great day. A walk at lunch, if your job onvolves sitting you could sit on a ball instead of a chair. I also do stomach tightening excercises in the car when ever I am stopped at intersections. When you get home you could unwind with a short burst of yoga or do planks etc during the commercials. It is truly hard too find time for excercise these days but a very good friend of mine said to me : "If you don't make time for excercise now be sure to make time to be sick later!" That one keeps me going. Best of luck!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I usually take a walk at work but I only get a 30 min lunch break and a 15 min break, if I'm lucky, so it's hard to squeeze much more into my day. I would try and eat dinner at work but I don't have a job that allows me to eat an extra meal there. I am able to sneak in a quick snack sometimes though so that does help me out.

I may have to try and get up earlier in the morning and get in a quick work out.
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How much time do you get for lunch? If you get an hour walk 30min then have a good healthy lunch after. Your hours have really put you in a bind so maybe if your able to do that starting out then when you get home at night you can do another 30min at night. You don't need to work out 2hrs a day to get in shape and lose weight, an hour is plenty.
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know I work out 30min 4 days a week and I've lost 10lbs and it took about 2month.
  • Gidget86
    Gidget86 Posts: 45
    Options
    I hope you don't think this sounds creepy but this is what works for me.

At work every time I use the bathroom I do an excersize. So I'll do my business, wash my hands then do
    12 - 15 squats or plias or push ups 'against the counter'. Ok we have a larger restroom here but this plan
    we foundly refer to as the 'potty plan' works for me. I keep a elastic band now to do arms. There really is
    a lot of strength excersizes you can do in a small space.
    Luckily for me there are only 2 of us ladies in my office and we have our own room so its clean!

Then I do either walk or ride my stationary bike every day for cardio.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    how much time do u get for a lunch break to the gym and run 10mph for 20 min . u will lose alot

Are you serious??

10mph is six minute miles, that is 3 and a third miles in 20 minutes, that is bordering on excellence in track and field.

To the OP, I don't know, you may be able to do such a speed, can you? lol
  • alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    Options
    Three 10 minute sessions as good as one 30 minute sessions. Look for 60-second workouts on google. Might work for your sched.