I need help getting started... FRUSTRATED!!!

I joined MFP almost 2 years ago. I can't seem to get into a groove. I get started and I'm gun ho for about two weeks, don't see any results and get frustrated and quit.

I need to know how I start an exercise plan and stick to it! Do I start with a little and add as I go? I just don't know and it get a little overwhelming.

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Just start with logging food, staying under your calorie limit. Do just that for a couple weeks. Then add minimal exercise like walking. Do change too much all at once or you will quit.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Yeah, there's really no outside solution to this. You just have to want to do it. It's like keeping your room clean or something, it will only happen when it clicks for you.

One thing that I would suggest, since you say that you get burned out with lack of fast results, is to educate yourself on how fitness works and how you're going to get your results. For instance, you didn't mention diet here, when diet is what will get you the results you want. Exercise really isn't even necessary.

diet = weight loss/maintenence/gain
    exercise = just helps burn calories/conditioning/muscle gain

Maybe that will help you keep things in perspective, so you can get the work done over time. A great book for this is New Rules of Lifting for Women. Even if you don't lift or want to use the program, the information provided in that book is simple and worth it's weight in gold.
  • I think it also depends on your background in exercise, it might help to identify yourself as a beginner or as a more advanced participant. I played sports when I was younger but I've just had my first baby and I was totally innactive during the pregnancy - I took advantage of the resting stage. lol. I've slowly incorporated some exercise back into my routine, especially cardio, and combined it with a lower calorie diet.

Eventually (after just a few weeks) you will begin to feel stronger and more confident in your workouts, although you may not see physicla changes right away you will definitely be feeling better and that usually is enough to push you through when you feel like nothing is working. I find a lot of my workouts or ideas for workouts online for free!

I had lost some weight but hit a plateau and that's when I decided to join this site. So far in two weeks i've lost 4 pounds simply by cutting back on the little things - for example, if I want coffee i'll drink it black and skip the creams and sugars. I snack mopre on fruits and veggies instead of chips and dips. Sodas are completely out of the picture which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I truly believe that the consistency in this site and exercise will better allow you to understand how your body works. It's kinda cool to watch how it operates all like a fitness equation. What you put in will equal what you get out. And little by little you'll learn what works for you and your equation to get the results you want.

Good luck! You can do it!!
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    When I first started MFP, there were 2 things that stuck with me and made all the difference.

1) I received a great piece of advice, which was "Don't be afraid to be hungry". I don't live in a 3rd world country. I know where my next meal is coming from. As such, I don't have to run for a snack everytime my belly begins to gurgle. I can wait the 30 minutes or hour or whatever until I can get my dinner made. I can drink a large glass of tea or a cup of coffee to hold me over. It's okay to feel hungry.

2) Weight loss comes from hard work and denial. Do I want to hoover up those double-stuffed Oreos? You bet! But I won't. Do I want Mexican food on Friday? You bet! But instead I'll go somewhere I can order grilled shrimp. Do I want that loaded baked potato with those shrimp? Of course! Extra cheese and sour cream, please! But will I get it? No. I'll get the steamed veggies and when I leave the restaurant I'll have enjoyed my meal and will feel proud that I'm not being rolled out on an empty dessert cart.

Because I really WANT to lose weight, I accepted these things as fact and started the hard work. Diet and exercise. You can do it! This forum is full of folks just like you who decided that they want it...if we can do it, you can too!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Yeah, there's really no outside solution to this. You just have to want to do it. It's like keeping your room clean or something, it will only happen when it clicks for you.

One thing that I would suggest, since you say that you get burned out with lack of fast results, is to educate yourself on how fitness works and how you're going to get your results. For instance, you didn't mention diet here, when diet is what will get you the results you want. Exercise really isn't even necessary.

diet = weight loss/maintenence/gain
    exercise = just helps burn calories/conditioning/muscle gain

Maybe that will help you keep things in perspective, so you can get the work done over time. A great book for this is New Rules of Lifting for Women. Even if you don't lift or want to use the program, the information provided in that book is simple and worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to leave a response. I've got to find a happy medium somehow. I purchased a eliptical machine, got into it, where I was on it twice a day for 30 minutes. Kept track of what I was eating and not going over calories. No weight loss, but pulled a muscle and was out of commission for about a month and couldn't use it.

thanks again! I'm still hopeful!:flowerforyou:
  • Its simple do Crossfit. I was exactly the same way. Since July my squat has went up 70lbs, my deadlift has went up 50lbs, my power clean has went up 60, I can run faster, and jump higher. I went from never working out to working out 6 days a week. It's a tough workout and you will hurt but I guarantee you will see results and you will enjoy it too!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Just pick something reasonable and do it, and plan on doing it (or something) until the end of time. You'll see results. Everybody gets some kind of results. You know it's healthier. It's just something healthy people do, so you either do it or you don't as far as I can tell.

Don't get bogged down in details when you get started. Just do something you'll do. It might take some trying to find what works, or it might just take an attitude adjustment (suck up and do it, as with many things in life), but find something and do it. Consistently :) You'll be happy you did! I promise :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Just pick something reasonable and do it, and plan on doing it (or something) until the end of time. You'll see results. Everybody gets some kind of results. You know it's healthier. It's just something healthy people do, so you either do it or you don't as far as I can tell.

Don't get bogged down in details when you get started. Just do something you'll do. It might take some trying to find what works, or it might just take an attitude adjustment (suck up and do it, as with many things in life), but find something and do it. Consistently :) You'll be happy you did! I promise :)

This!^

It took me awhile to find exercise that I enjoy. I got a Netflix (by mail) subscripton and kept renting exercise DVDs .....some clicked, some didn't. But I kept trying. Eventually exercise became a habit. Do I HAVE to exercise to lose weight? .....no, but I do need to exercise to maintain a healthy weight.....I don't want to diet forever.

Just keep trying and forgive yourself when you screw up.....we all screw up! Don't try to do everything all at once.
  • Yodifer
    Yodifer Posts: 87
    You have to give it a fair shot, I know 8 wks SEEMS so long but those 8 wks will come and go regardless of what you are doing....keeping that in mind really helps me to stay motivated. Whether your goal is 12 wks away, or 6 months away...that time will come regardless.

Maybe convince yourself that if you work out you will FEEL better....dont look for the results right now...focus on how it makes you feel. I am grumpy if I dont do some hardcore cardio everyday. My body needs it. and as a plus the scale is moving in the right direction.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    VERY simple YET tuff challenge.

You need to ask yourself? Will that last SET be a challenge or will that last REP or Lap be a challenge?
    Fitness over all is a tuff challenge. For those who want to be elite. How bad do you want it? Do you want results? How bad?

If its tuff for you, then start slow and take small steps. If you drink soda and drink 3 a week, start having 2 a week then 1 a week. Then replace it with a sports drink and start drinking ALOT MORE WATER> ( WATER WATER WATER) is everything, It will help you be more energized and ready. Water will help very much. Once you have done this you will be off sodas and bad drinks for good. You have to get your body used to it!
    NEXT would be eating RIGHT. Fast Food is cheap for a reason! Because its not real!!! Go to the super mart and buy a small thing of Sushi. Its a bit pricy , because its HEALTHY. Its fun to look online and see what food are good fro you. Start eating CHICKEN, beef & FISH. HIGH in protein and will make you way more energized while your already drinking water. You will already be a BEAST just by doing this. Eggs almost every morning for breakfast.
    Just knowing what you have to do and eat before you go to bed and when you wake up in the morning is nice , because you plan out your day and you start to get more organized. Plus you get amazing results and FEEL GREAT!

Last but not least When it comes to working out, start with 10 push-ups in the morning, every morning. (TRY) then move it to 20 the 30. Once you can do that Then do 30 Jumping jacks with your 30 push-ups, next week or Month (depending on your dedication) you can and Air Squats or what ever workout you would like. Once you hit this point your body will be strong enough and ready to take on BIGGER challenges more BIGGER results!
    You might want to start joining a gym and find someone on the same boat . A zumba gym or Crossfit , or just weight lifting. I also recommend running, and run faster every time, Helps build endurance for other workouts that come along. Plus if you SPRINT, that Body Fat will fall right off :glasses:

PS: Go on YouTube, look at fitness motivation , What i like to watch is Crossfit event videos and Fitness model workouts. Gets me CRUNK! Look into supplements that will help you progress, like pre-workouts before your workout to help build that endurance. If yuo have a facebook, start liking fitness pages and quotes.

You must be positive about this and really want it. Go to sleep thinking about it and wake up to it. Morning workouts are the best. Followed by a second workout. Like i said start slow 20mins a day to 30 to1hr to 2hr, and split it up if you have to.

GOOD LUCK:glasses: