when to change strength routine

Options
Need advice re: changing my weight machine routine. I received a complimentary starter workout routine from a trainer on the machines in the gym when I joined. She documented all the stats: weight limit, seat and handle heights, reps and sets, etc. My question is related to when I should change weight, reps, and especially when should I do different machines. I plan to do the machines 3 x / wk and wonder how much progress I will make if I do the same machines in the same order all the time. Currently I cant afford a personal trainer and appreciate all the advice I have read on this site. BTW: started MFP 9/19/13 (rather REstarted!), have been logging OCD style and have dropped 9.2 lbs and am contemplating starting to run again. Thanks in advance for any strength training advice.

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't know what to say about a routine on machines. Honestly, I think machines are a joke, even for women who use them the most, regardless of age. I mean, they CAN be useful for beginners, or absolutely for someone with an injury, but they are to be avoided if you can do free weights instead.

The truth is machines were built as a marketing approach back in the 70s for gyms to attract more membership. They are less intimidating than free weights, and are just more attractive in general. They also focus on isolation movements, which are not idea for strength training. They isolate a muscle, putting all the stress on that joint, and incrementing up (what we like to call progress...) is very difficult and slow. For instance, I don't use machines, and within the very little isolation work that I do, I don't pay any attention to how much I'm incrementing.

I leave that for the big compound movements that make up the basis of my routine.

That said, there's nothing to be afraid of with free weights. You just need to pick up a book (Starting Strength is an excellent choice) and read about how to do the 4 key movements, then get at it. You can use the routine from that book, or you can use a 5x5 routine, like "Stronglifts 5x5" which is free online.

If you need to stick with the machines though, just make sure you are incremeting your weight up whenever you feel that you can complete all your sets and reps with good form. The goal is always to increment up when you can, so you keep getting stronger. Since you're just a beginner, you will probably see some nice gains at the beginning, but keep in mind that these gains will slow as you become more advanced. As for switching up the workouts, there's no need, just keep doing the same thing. If you're incremeting the weight you'll be fine.
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks FrnkLft for the advice, and I will take a peek at the book you recommended!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I know the free weights section is really intimating for most women, nevermind women 50+ , but I promise you it's just like high school. You think everyone is watching you, and the truth is nobody cares lol

Just a word of caution though, and this applies to working out in general, make sure you're physically healthy enough to workout safely. Remember the point is to get stronger and better, not to injure yourself. If it's feasible, just get a physical with your doctor to make sure you're set for a weight training program.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Everyone is very prejudiced against the machines, for good reasons. However, if you don't want to start on the free weights, just be aware of which machines are REALLY bad. There are several lists on the net, such as this one:

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/avoid_lifting_injuries/

In the meantime, pick a weight on the machines that you can do about 8 reps on. Do 2 to 3 sets three times a week, increasing the number of reps each week, and when you can do 12 reps, increase the weight and go back down to 8 reps, rinse and repeat.

OR, Here is an example of a routine you might try:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_weight_training.htm

Mike
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks halleymw for the VERY informative site (replete with comments!) related to beginner weight training! It seems to be precisely what I was looking for to feel semi-confident getting in to the weight machines at my local gym. 6 weeks at this with gradual weight increases and then maybe time to have a one-time trainer session for re-evaluation toward the next step. Again, thanks for the information.