Heart Rate Monitors with No Band

Options
So I bought a polar women's heart rate monitor a few months ago and was really excited to use it. And it worked well, helped me see how much I was really burning so on and so forth. But I began noticing a red mark growing on my skin where the chest band went. I ignored it for a while, but then it got extremely bad and was forced to go to the doctors. Found out that I was extremely allergic to that $80 investment (side note: also found out I was having allergic reactions to red wine...it was a rough day haha)

Anyway, the point of this post is that I'm wondering if people had recommendations for heart rate monitors that don't have a chest band? Do those even work well enough to be worth the price?

Thanks!

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So I bought a polar women's heart rate monitor a few months ago and was really excited to use it. And it worked well, helped me see how much I was really burning so on and so forth. But I began noticing a red mark growing on my skin where the chest band went. I ignored it for a while, but then it got extremely bad and was forced to go to the doctors. Found out that I was extremely allergic to that $80 investment (side note: also found out I was having allergic reactions to red wine...it was a rough day haha)

Anyway, the point of this post is that I'm wondering if people had recommendations for heart rate monitors that don't have a chest band? Do those even work well enough to be worth the price?

Thanks!
    I think Polar makes sports bra type ones now.
    What is the allergy? You didn't say. Latex?
    Just get a strap that doesn't contain what the allergen is. The strap type work the most accurately.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about your allergy to red wine :sad:
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    As for the red wine allergy I hear its not so bad if you don't let it touch the sides.
  • nat9999
    Options
    Sorry that happened to you with allergies. To find a heart rate monitor, and then select the style that suits your fitness.

http://heartrate-monitor.info
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The bad news is that without continuous recording of HR, a HRM is useless for estimating calories. That means in most cases a chest strap. There have been companies working on ones that use other means for recording HR continuously, but I have not seen any on the market yet, not that I have been looking lately. As I said though, without continuous recording of your HR the calorie number a HRM may give is completely off, so much so, you would be better guessing at a number based on your perceived exertion.